Advertisement

Author Topic: C++ RANT!!!  (Read 4826 times)

tetrapod

Re: C++ RANT!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 09:33:36 PM »
that's true cause i use to program like there's no tomorrow.  Switch to business in finance or the medical field.

As programmer, we work too hard for too little pay.  I say screw programming.  :)

It's 8 hours thinking 7 days thinking forever.  Coffee is what keeping me concentraing.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

2Wicked

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 02:46:56 PM »

i think google will do you much help.  but maybe programming is not your thing.  if you have taken those classes and could not write a simple program then it's going to be even tougher when you need to write complex programs.

but if you have time and patience keep trucking and practice lil projects here and there.  most of the time you have to get your hands dirty to really learn and also do a code walk through with someone that knows the stuff would definitely help.

jetter

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 04:36:47 PM »
So you want to get into medical and I want to go back to software.  Stay put in software because the medical field is gonig to get out source like crazy to China/India in the next 5-15 years.

actually medical is the aim but business is the fall back plan.  Still programming atm but in the middle of a process to get a way from software engineering.

tetrapod

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 05:47:39 PM »
actually medical is the aim but business is the fall back plan.  Still programming atm but in the middle of a process to get a way from software engineering.

My professor from UC-berkeley told me about his classmate.  after they both got their ph.d in computer science, his classmate went to become a professor for a year or so then left teaching to become a priest.  He must have taken a 80% pay cut to be a priest.  But he is happy. 

tetrapod

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 05:49:32 PM »
You have to develop a niche for what you do that nobody else can do.

the only way to do that is to invent of your field or go into a field with no more than 3,000 people in the entire country.  nuorosurgeon would fit that.

aria

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »
I started the CS program with a Hmong guy who told me I wouldn't make it. 2 years later, he switched major to Chemistry. :2funny: A lot of programming folks I know are also trying to make a switch over to Accounting or Business too. I say, just get your MBA.

If I was still single, I would love to do consulting. :/

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 11:22:14 AM »
If you learned one of the other languages before OOP languages, then you're gonna have a problem because OOP languages are a totally different concept and the things you've learned before that only makes it more confusing.  Best to start out with an OOP language first.

As for jobs, like someone said.. go into an easier field.  You'll make more money for less headaches.  O0

tetrapod

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 12:57:01 PM »
You don't want to go into MIS/CIS because it don't usually teach you any Programming at all. Those two majors are for people who doesn't want to deal with headaching programming and debugging. :)  If you don't worry too much about $$$ then it's good for you..just to get your hands on the computer field. If you want big money then it's Computer Science and of course Computer Engineerring..:)

I see some people with MIS working in the banking industry.  They probably work with mainly Microsoft products (visual studio).  They might do some web site stuff.  Some might do tech support.

kyrie_eleison

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 09:58:46 AM »
Yeah, it can be a tricky course.  But, I could be the teacher itself that's not helping. 

Advertisements