Advertisement

Author Topic: Quick question about cell phones and batteries  (Read 2697 times)

couchpotato

Quick question about cell phones and batteries
« on: March 20, 2012, 04:33:14 AM »
Do the date and time in a cell phone automatically reset when you take out your battery or put in a new one?

Recently I noticed that about my cell phone. However, in the past I have swapped batteries before without the date and time resetting. I'm wondering if I accidentally somehow did something to cause this to happen.  :-\

I have a Samsung Galaxy II.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

JimmyNeutron

Re: Quick question about cell phones and batteries
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 09:51:12 AM »

« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 01:02:45 PM by JimmyNeutron »

couchpotato

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 10:08:47 AM »
Depends on how long the battery been out of the cell phone or how drain is the battery inside the cell phone.  On my other equipments, without a battery installed, the internal battery will provide up to 48hrs before you lose all settings.  The int battery gets charged by the ext battery.

Just look at your motherboard.  See that watch battery?  It's there for a reason. :)  to tell time. LOL!!!

Now, if the watch battery is taken out, you will have to adjust the date/time/bios settings every time you power off the computer.

Hrmm. What do you mean by the bolded? The battery is merely out of the phone for a few seconds for a battery swap. The battery is not dead yet. It's very close to it. (Close meaning I've gotten the little warning that I need to charge my battery.)

Or for example, I dropped my phone. I have a new cover for it which isn't as durable as the last one. The battery popped out. When I put it back in, the date and time had reset to 2000.  :-\ I've never had this issue before. Just in the last month or so.

JimmyNeutron

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 09:57:41 AM »

« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 01:03:06 PM by JimmyNeutron »

couchpotato

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 02:34:03 AM »
Then your internal battery is bad.  Each phone may be different slightly, but they should all be able to maintain enough charge to sustain the cell internal memory/clock/etc...for at least 1 minute when you take out the battery.

If you phone was always like this at the start, which I doubt since it's a Samsung Galaxy 2, then you have a defective unit and should send it in for warranty AFTER you take your sim card out and wipe the phone memory. :)

Most electronics equipment, like I said, will have an internal battery.  The cheaper solution, and works in some cases, is to used capacitors as the battery.

Anyhow, I would send it in if it's under warranty.

Ok. It wasn't always this way.

Thanks Jimmy. I'll have to take it in then. Hopefully it won't take them too long to get it sorted out.  :-\

couchpotato

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 12:24:11 PM »
Umm..... Your phone should automatically update the time from your network (phone company). I've had occasions where my phone would automatically be an hour off, cause my network would think that I'm connected to Sprint from a different city.

It hasn't. It's like my phone has the y2k bug 12 years too late. It resets to Jan. 1, 2000.  :D :'(

« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 12:43:13 PM by couchpotato »

couchpotato

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 12:47:51 PM »
Bring your phone in to have it looked at! I'm sure it's under warranty. Does your roommate have the same issue?

Yes, it should still be under warranty. Even if it's not I'm pretty sure I can bring it in and have it looked at without a problem. Customer service concerning electronics is much better here. :P I'm more reluctant to because they have specific service centers you have to go to. It might be a day long trip this weekend.  :-\

The roommate doesn't swap batteries so I don't think they have the same issue. Besides, they have a different phone.  :D

r3b1rth

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 03:59:29 PM »
What's the resolution?

couchpotato

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 12:26:48 AM »
What's the resolution?

You lost me here.  :D

N`Chync

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 09:03:02 AM »
Just wondering how this situation ended. Update us.

couchpotato

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 09:20:26 AM »
I took it in to Samsung. The guy said it might be the internal battery. Got it back last weekend. I didn't bother to ask what the root of the problem was because it would have been more trouble than it's worth. The phone works fine now. They even updated my phone to andriod 4.0.3 without me asking.

N`Chync

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 04:38:35 PM »
So how's the Ice Cream Sandwich update treating u? I been running it on my Galaxy S for awhile now. It's pretty smooth.

couchpotato

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 09:00:41 PM »
So how's the Ice Cream Sandwich update treating u? I been running it on my Galaxy S for awhile now. It's pretty smooth.

Honestly, I am such a creature of habit that I didn't really appreciate it much. I don't think I'm tech savy enough to even understand how to utilize it.  :-\

My favorite thing about it right now? That there is a restart phone option. Yes, that is how lame I am.  :-[

Advertisements