Advertisement

Author Topic: Can non-relatives xyom at funerals?  (Read 2958 times)

JazzBootz

Can non-relatives xyom at funerals?
« on: February 16, 2012, 03:13:45 PM »
Traditionally tsev xyom cuab and relatives of the deceased xyom at the funeral. 

Wondering if non-related persons (different clan, no direct blood relation) can also join in to xyom.

I would like to join my best friend to xyom for his mother but I'm not his clan nor a direct relative.  I don't want to upset his relatives or ua dabtsi txhaum lawv tsev neeg xyom cuab.

Thanks

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

yuknowthat

Re: Can non-relatives xyom at funerals?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 04:27:32 PM »
nope..just showing your respect.. tsis txaum li

A_New_Beginning

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 09:01:12 PM »
There's nothing wrong.  If the deceased person has meaning to you, you should xyom.

I know I did for alot of families. I even considered myself as the XyomCuab for alot of families.

My dad has taught me well in the Hmong culture; to love, to not have so much pride; not being selfish; pay it forward; do everything out of your pure heart but ask nothing in return.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 09:04:39 PM »
It just depends on how close you are to the family and how they see you. You are XyomCuab if the family says that you are.  O0

GoldFishFighting

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 04:04:01 PM »
ur xyom cuab if u say u r... everyone helping out at these rituals r considered xyom cuab... dont care last name/clan... n anyone can xyom but some nearsighted relatives might look at u strange...

Advertisements