Advertisement

Author Topic: Homeowners - What Would You Do Differently?  (Read 15652 times)

zena

Homeowners - What Would You Do Differently?
« on: April 30, 2012, 10:43:39 AM »
Homeowners, after your experience(s) buying your first home (or second +), what would you do differently the next time you buy a home (or maybe even your retirement home)?  Or are you the kind that knew exactly what you got and are happy to be in your home forever?

For me, I am eying a retirement home (for the far future), and one that is all brick (or at least 50%) all the way around and ranch style.  A walk-out ranch would be perfect but not necessary.  Living in my current home, a 3 floor, over 3000 sq ft (including basement), is way too much to clean.  I remember living in a 2-bedroom 800 sq ft condo and having to clean the one bathroom was a pain.  Now I have 3 bathrooms to clean (one master, one regular, and one powder) and I just can't keep up.  I know, these things are trivial, but it takes so much time going up and down the stairs.  Luckily, we don't have our basement finished but when we do, there will be another bathroom there.  I'd like to keep it at 3.

I do like our current small yard but I'd definitely like a larger space so that I can plant more trees and flowering plants.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
Re: Homeowners - What Would You Do Differently?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 04:25:31 PM »
All it matter to me is big kitchen, master bedroom and bathroom, decent size backyard, 3 car garage and no bigger than 3000 sf.  2100 sf. is already too much work to clean when I got little ones and once they are older probably even more terrible at getting them to even lift a finger around the house.  Definitely will be more aware of making deals or neg. with owner, closing cost, buyer assistance, etc. 

If possible rather just custom build a home which is something were looking to do in the next 3-5 year but got to see how the change are around here 1st with many new development of school, shopping complex, etc. in my current location before deciding where to make the next home location.  Acre/land are still cheap here but it just securing the loan to custom build is hard.

lala

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 05:30:14 AM »
For us, location and neighborhood.  We forgot to review our neighborhood, cause we were too in love with the house.  However, neighbors are only temporary.  But definitely, I want quiet and considerate neighbors.  Sometime I kinda miss living out in the country where all you hear is "NOTHING"... sometimes it's too quiet.  But for sure... no more ghettos.

Lavender

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 05:53:36 PM »
For us, location and neighborhood.  We forgot to review our neighborhood, cause we were too in love with the house.  However, neighbors are only temporary.  But definitely, I want quiet and considerate neighbors.  Sometime I kinda miss living out in the country where all you hear is "NOTHING"... sometimes it's too quiet.  But for sure... no more ghettos.
I would do the same.  I love our location where we are.  Peace and quiet with lots of space.  The thing is that across from our house on the other side of the street are apartments.   :-\  So that's the downfall for us.

Peachy Fish

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 06:17:31 PM »
We also plan to find/build a house where we can retire in the next 5 or so yrs. Right now, we're happy w/our house decision: the house isn't too big and it's minutes away from 4 major highways that we often use. If things go smoothly, we plan on having a new addition in 2 yrs to join our lives.

Hopefully, our next and last house will be a 2,000 - 3,000 5 bedroom, 3 car garage, with ample back and frontyard. It'll be mostly brick again, except w/stainless steel and marble.

zena

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 06:27:52 PM »
A big kitchen would be nice but also living in the right neighborhood matters, and building is probably the best way to go, except, when the house settles.  That's something I don't know if I'd like to do again.

We've been in our built home for just over 2 years and the cracks that keep getting wider are really scaring me, especially those in the basement.  They say it's okay to have those cracks along the creases as long as they don't go over so many inches.  It's the weirdest feeling to wait and wonder how far the cracks will open and if by the time they get to the point of having redone, if our warranty would be over.  It'll be expensive w/o the warranty. 

Are any of you into the separate formal dining rooms? I'm not sure what year that became popular.

Peachy Fish

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 07:02:24 PM »
I agree w/the right neighborhood. How long does it take for a house to settle?

I'm not sure about the separate formal dining rooms, yet. I guess I like it for big families. My parents have separate formal dining rooms, and it's good for them.

Offline Ron Burgundy

• Sr. Poster
  • Handsome Man's Club Applicant
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 09:06:19 PM »

I'm not sure about the separate formal dining rooms, yet. I guess I like it for big families. My parents have separate formal dining rooms, and it's good for them.

My formal dining room only gets used as a place to eat when we have big parties/get-togethers.  Otherwise, it is used as a working area, homework area, and Christmas present wrapping HQ.

zena

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »

I'm not sure but I think it usually happens within the warranty time.  But land can shift anytime so I guess it really depends on how well the builders built the house.

Sounds like your parents probably put the formal dining room to good use.

My formal dining room only gets used as a place to eat when we have big parties/get-togethers.  Otherwise, it is used as a working area, homework area, and Christmas present wrapping HQ.

Okay, sounds like you guys put it to good use too.

We have a dining room with a table that seats 6 next to our kitchen, and an island that fits 3 chairs but we don't have a separate formal dining room.  It seems to work because everyone hangs out in the great room anyway where the living, dining, and kitchen are all in one open area.  We currently have an extra living room that is empty and that is on the other side of the hallway.  We hope to put in couches and a bookshelf, etc., but I still think it won't be as occupied.  I think we'd eliminate this room in our retirement home.

MilesDaddy

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 10:34:52 PM »
If I knew then what I know now, I would have waited. my current house is more then 100K upside down. The only reason why I stay here is because you can not rent in my area for what my mortgage is. we been here almost 10 years. Probably never leave unless we hit the lotto or move in with my inlaws.

lala

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 12:05:33 AM »
A big kitchen would be nice but also living in the right neighborhood matters, and building is probably the best way to go, except, when the house settles.  That's something I don't know if I'd like to do again.

We've been in our built home for just over 2 years and the cracks that keep getting wider are really scaring me, especially those in the basement.  They say it's okay to have those cracks along the creases as long as they don't go over so many inches.  It's the weirdest feeling to wait and wonder how far the cracks will open and if by the time they get to the point of having redone, if our warranty would be over.  It'll be expensive w/o the warranty. 

Are any of you into the separate formal dining rooms? I'm not sure what year that became popular.

Our house was built 5 years ago.  But I totally understand what you mean about the cracking. When we first moved in and I was home by myself, I would hear crackling from  upstairs.. it's not anything creepy... just loud cracks hear and there as if the house is setting.  I've read on a few stuff about it and it happens alot in newer houses.  Older houses are too, but they're more well built.  Even some people went to the extreme of ripping their entire wall and redoing it to avoid the cracking sounds.   ::)  I don't know.. I don't mind the cracking sounds now.  It's the sound of water rushing from the upstairs.  Honestly, I can confirm that my house was not well built, but it has potentials.   

I would still buy newer home.  But if we build our own house, I make sure to check the workmanship of the builder, making sure everything looks "perfect".  :)  ... and of course in a better neighborhood.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 12:09:54 AM by lala »

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 12:00:19 PM »
I'm not sure but I think it usually happens within the warranty time.  But land can shift anytime so I guess it really depends on how well the builders built the house.

Sounds like your parents probably put the formal dining room to good use.

Okay, sounds like you guys put it to good use too.

We have a dining room with a table that seats 6 next to our kitchen, and an island that fits 3 chairs but we don't have a separate formal dining room.  It seems to work because everyone hangs out in the great room anyway where the living, dining, and kitchen are all in one open area.  We currently have an extra living room that is empty and that is on the other side of the hallway.  We hope to put in couches and a bookshelf, etc., but I still think it won't be as occupied.  I think we'd eliminate this room in our retirement home.

I don't have a formal dining room either just a kitchen with an island, dining area for table and family room all in one open space.  We barely eat at the dining table so I haven't purchase or add 2 more chairs and just keep 4 of them that I got 1st.  I just set dinner on the island and husband and I just stand up and eat and have conversation about our day.  My kids get their foods and either sit on the floor watching tv.  My living room and dining table area are the 2 space in the house that currently unused.  Family room where the tv is and master bedroom are the 2 hangout place.

I guess our kids are still young so those area that is unused is just not taking space or being use until they are older and more traffic in and out of the house. 

zena

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 05:44:24 PM »
If I knew then what I know now, I would have waited. my current house is more then 100K upside down. The only reason why I stay here is because you can not rent in my area for what my mortgage is. we been here almost 10 years. Probably never leave unless we hit the lotto or move in with my inlaws.

If you don't plan on leaving then I wouldn't worry about the upside down.  Our condo we rent out is also upside down $65K.  I believe you mentioned in another post that you lived in a nice neighborhood.  I think that's worth staying for...even if you win the lotto.

Our house was built 5 years ago.  But I totally understand what you mean about the cracking. When we first moved in and I was home by myself, I would hear crackling from  upstairs.. it's not anything creepy... just loud cracks hear and there as if the house is setting.  I've read on a few stuff about it and it happens alot in newer houses.  Older houses are too, but they're more well built.  Even some people went to the extreme of ripping their entire wall and redoing it to avoid the cracking sounds.   ::)  I don't know.. I don't mind the cracking sounds now.  It's the sound of water rushing from the upstairs.  Honestly, I can confirm that my house was not well built, but it has potentials.   

I would still buy newer home.  But if we build our own house, I make sure to check the workmanship of the builder, making sure everything looks "perfect".  :)  ... and of course in a better neighborhood.

Yeah, those crackling sounds scares the sh!@ out of me too.  But, as long as I know that's what they are and not the house falling apart, I'm fine.  Now, ripping the house up to fix the settling?  I can't imagine anyone having the money or time to do that.  It will make the noise when it settles again.

I don't have a formal dining room either just a kitchen with an island, dining area for table and family room all in one open space.  We barely eat at the dining table so I haven't purchase or add 2 more chairs and just keep 4 of them that I got 1st.  I just set dinner on the island and husband and I just stand up and eat and have conversation about our day.  My kids get their foods and either sit on the floor watching tv.  My living room and dining table area are the 2 space in the house that currently unused.  Family room where the tv is and master bedroom are the 2 hangout place.

I guess our kids are still young so those area that is unused is just not taking space or being use until they are older and more traffic in and out of the house. 

Funny, you and your husband stand to eat at the island while your kids sit....LOL!  I do that too.  We try to eat at the dining table when the family's all home.  My daughter's friend (who is Caucasian) calls our dinner table meals, elegant - her family doesn't sit down together as a family for meals.  I always thought it was a Caucasian thing to do that but who knows...the times are changing.

MilesDaddy

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 07:57:20 PM »

My house is 61 years old and it still makes noises. And I know that back when my house was made the used real wood and nails for construction. That is one reason I love older homes. For us we we probably won't leave unless we have too. The only thing I really want is 1 more bathroom. We paid 244k for a 3 bed 1 bath 1280 sq. Ft house. But we still really like it here. It's actually my wife's house. She bought it when we were dating. I did get to give input when she picked it out.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 11:17:00 PM by MilesDaddy »

Offline miss-hmoob

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 10:48:52 PM »
I love our house. Its an old house and very well built. Still need to re-do our yard. Just the right size for my hubby and I. We probably will live in this house forever. Great neighborhood except for our dirty hmong neighbors.

"Appreciation and self love are the most important tools that you could even nuture." ~Abraham Hicks~

Advertisements