Advertisement

Author Topic: Homeowners - What Would You Do Differently?  (Read 15650 times)

zena

Re: Homeowners - What Would You Do Differently?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 12:52:16 AM »

My house is 61 years old and it still makes noises. And I know that back when my house was made the used real wood and nails for construction. That is one reason I love older homes. For us we we probably won't leave unless we have too. The only thing I really want is 1 more bathroom. We paid 244k for a 3 bed 1 bath 1280 sq. Ft house. But we still really like it here. It's actually my wife's house. She bought it when we were dating. I did get to give input when she picked it out.

Are you saying that houses now don't use real nails?  LOL!  Sorry, that just sounded funny.  Plastic nails...hehe.  I know what you mean though.  They don't make houses like they used to with real bricks.  I think the wood is still pretty real.  That's a nice size house.  Sometimes, I wish our house was just a little smaller.  You can always put in another bathroom.

I love our house. Its an old house and very well built. Still need to re-do our yard. Just the right size for my hubby and I. We probably will live in this house forever. Great neighborhood except for our dirty hmong neighbors.

I'm glad you found the house you'd like to grow old in.   :)

We moved to our house mainly because we wanted a good school for our kids so hopefully once they are grown, we won't need such a big house.  It's not that big but it's big to me.  But who knows, we might end up having so much memories here that it'd be hard to leave.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

MilesDaddy

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 11:02:25 AM »
Are you saying that houses now don't use real nails?  LOL!  Sorry, that just sounded funny.  Plastic nails...hehe.  I know what you mean though.  They don't make houses like they used to with real bricks.  I think the wood is still pretty real.  That's a nice size house.  Sometimes, I wish our house was just a little smaller.  You can always put in another bathroom.

I'm glad you found the house you'd like to grow old in.   :)

We moved to our house mainly because we wanted a good school for our kids so hopefully once they are grown, we won't need such a big house.  It's not that big but it's big to me.  But who knows, we might end up having so much memories here that it'd be hard to leave.

No they do use real nails..... But thing's like particle board and fake Styrofoam phasads for window treatments did not happen on homes older then 20 years. I used to work in the construction business..I think it's funny when homebuilder company's try to tell you that they hae real craftsman building there home's. But in actually it's the same contracted Framer's, drywall, and stucco company's doing the work. No matter who the builder is...

zena

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 09:06:13 PM »
No they do use real nails..... But thing's like particle board and fake Styrofoam phasads for window treatments did not happen on homes older then 20 years. I used to work in the construction business..I think it's funny when homebuilder company's try to tell you that they hae real craftsman building there home's. But in actually it's the same contracted Framer's, drywall, and stucco company's doing the work. No matter who the builder is...

Do they really tell people that?  Luckily, for us, our builder didn't make funny promises.  They were pretty honest.  The thing with homes these days is that as a buyer you kind of have to accept that new homes will not be built as sturdy as those ages ago.  As long as the homes follow the city's guidelines then that's all that really matters.  Of course, there are still things that irritate me that I wonder if the builder rushed and did a half-!@#$ job.

IB THIAB NEEJ

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2012, 11:32:45 PM »
Homeowners, after your experience(s) buying your first home (or second +), what would you do differently the next time you buy a home (or maybe even your retirement home)?  Or are you the kind that knew exactly what you got and are happy to be in your home forever?
I only have investment properties that I don't even live in. If I can do again, I'd stay away from wood, go with stucco and bricks (last longer and less to maintain), and avoid short sales because I don't have the patience and don't want my realtor to look bad.

I think you have the right idea with bricks. It would be a good idea to have a smaller house plus storage sheds/warehouses. I always envisioned a Japanese type garden in which I can landscape my own designs, waterfalls, kois, and exotic birds. *sigh

MilesDaddy

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 12:03:41 AM »
IMO brick buildings are ugly....unless it's contemporary

zena

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 06:50:42 PM »
I only have investment properties that I don't even live in. If I can do again, I'd stay away from wood, go with stucco and bricks (last longer and less to maintain), and avoid short sales because I don't have the patience and don't want my realtor to look bad.

I think you have the right idea with bricks. It would be a good idea to have a smaller house plus storage sheds/warehouses. I always envisioned a Japanese type garden in which I can landscape my own designs, waterfalls, kois, and exotic birds. *sigh

What's wrong with wood?

I've always preferred brick to wood and stucco.  I love the look.

IMO brick buildings are ugly....unless it's contemporary

What do you mean by contemporary?  Like modern?

I would love to live in one of these homes below.  The photos were taken in 2008.  These homes are between $1.5 and $2.5 million.  I think the style is Tudor or something but they've been around for a long time.

The neighborhood these homes are in is gorgeous with overgrown trees and history.  When we drove through it 4 years ago, it felt dreamy.

Offline Ron Burgundy

• Sr. Poster
  • Handsome Man's Club Applicant
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 08:20:39 PM »
The 2 with the black shutters would be considered colonial. O0

Those are nice classic homes with tons of character.  However, the property taxes would be outrageous. :o

IB THIAB NEEJ

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 10:03:16 PM »
Those houses look like mini-castles. I was visiting relatives in France and their town had that same architecture, only smaller and much much older of course.

Wood deteriorates; stucco can last a lifetime.  O0

lala

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 10:06:34 PM »
Oh... I really like those brick houses too... Mpls and St. Paul in certain parts has houses like that... makes the walk around the neighborhood very peaceful.

Offline Ron Burgundy

• Sr. Poster
  • Handsome Man's Club Applicant
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 10:09:54 PM »
Those houses look like mini-castles. I was visiting relatives in France and their town had that same architecture, only smaller and much much older of course.

Errr.... Mold can build up behind stucco and stucco cracks.  I know this first hand.  Had to sue the builder of my house for 2 years before all his insurance companies settled with me.  I have Hardie (fiber cement) board siding now.

IB THIAB NEEJ

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 10:24:24 PM »
Errr.... Mold can build up behind stucco and stucco cracks.  I know this first hand.  Had to sue the builder of my house for 2 years before all his insurance companies settled with me.  I have Hardie (fiber cement) board siding now.
Good input. I was careful. That's why I said "can" and not "will."  O0

zena

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2012, 11:22:06 AM »
The 2 with the black shutters would be considered colonial. O0

Those are nice classic homes with tons of character.  However, the property taxes would be outrageous. :o

True, I think there's really only one Tudor in the photos.  Yeah, the taxes.

I'm sure the ones in France have been around longer but those ones have been around for a long time too...maybe 1800's for some.  Just guessing here.

When I think of wood, I think of fire and when I think of stucco, I think hot, desert...Vegas .  Brick just seems sturdy.  My sister lives in a brick apartment building and when it rains, hails, or gets extremely windy, it's still so nice an quiet inside.  In my current house (wood ciding...parti al brick), I could hear everything. 

Oh... I really like those brick houses too... Mpls and St. Paul in certain parts has houses like that... makes the walk around the neighborhood very peaceful.

I think they are in certain parts of most states.  If you get to walk around a neighbor like that, you are so lucky! I don't live anywhere near those house in the photo anymore, unfortunately.  Otherwise, I'd drive there a few times a year.

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2012, 06:56:21 PM »
Those brick homes are nice but you barely see any around here.  The 2 with those shutter are like colonial home and always remind me of this house we tour but just not brick but had original hardwood floor.   It was spooky walking around and they have crawl space inside all the bedrooms that give me that chilling fever that I don't even want to look anymore or walk through certain area of the house.

zena

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2012, 07:59:23 PM »
Those brick homes are nice but you barely see any around here.  The 2 with those shutter are like colonial home and always remind me of this house we tour but just not brick but had original hardwood floor.   It was spooky walking around and they have crawl space inside all the bedrooms that give me that chilling fever that I don't even want to look anymore or walk through certain area of the house.

I know what you mean by spooky and I'm not a fan of crawl spaces either.  I remember a long time ago dating a boy and went to visit his house.  It was all brick and had those shutters.  It was a really nice house and I was nervous about the basement (he wanted to watch a movie in the basement) but it was actually nice with a regular ceiling and enough space for it to be a second living room.  I didn't like the boy so I told him I had to go home.  I was really awed by the house though.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 08:00:56 PM by moonangel »

aboo

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2012, 10:42:59 AM »

what is so spooky about crawl spaces?  i guess i don't really get it.
it's just extra storage space for those suitcases full of hmong clothes etc....

Advertisements