Advertisement

Author Topic: Homeowners - What Would You Do Differently?  (Read 15645 times)

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
Re: Homeowners - What Would You Do Differently?
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2012, 04:22:34 PM »
what is so spooky about crawl spaces?  i guess i don't really get it.
it's just extra storage space for those suitcases full of hmong clothes etc....

Maybe because this house was just empty and not well taken care of or maybe it was because my 1st time seeing a crawl space in the closet in every single bedroom to the point where I didn't even want to take a peek or know what it was.  It look dark and just scary.  It was just the most creepiest house I step foot in during our 1st and 2nd house hunting season.  The listing price of the house was actually lower than my current home now but the location was nice and close to a elementary school that I like the best but..........  I always want to drive by to see if anyone has bought it even though it just down the same road I travel everyday to drop and pick up my son from preschool. 

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

zena

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2012, 11:01:21 AM »
I think for me just any space that looks incomplete, unused, or dark and dusty is scary.  Attics are also a bit creepy for me.

OneLove

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2012, 03:17:20 PM »
I'm done with big homes. Eyeing for a small home that is around $50k and hope to have it paid off in 10 years so I can live with no mortgage when I retire. Who cares about owning a big house now??

Offline Ron Burgundy

• Sr. Poster
  • Handsome Man's Club Applicant
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2012, 06:06:10 PM »
I'm done with big homes. Eyeing for a small home that is around $50k and hope to have it paid off in 10 years so I can live with no mortgage when I retire. Who cares about owning a big house now??

Big homes are for show and great for hosting parties/gatherings.  Otherwise, its a lot of work to keep clean and the utilities cost more.

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2012, 10:03:53 PM »

Big homes are for show and great for hosting parties/gatherings.  Otherwise, its a lot of work to keep clean and the utilities cost more.

True.........a nd kids are no help either so either you got to do all the works yourself or let the house be dirty or give up........  When I have all my kids here it is constantly cleaning, picking up, etc.  Too much work but when no kids here and just 1-2 then it sound quiet and never have to deal with all those works.  My only priority is to clean the bathrooms and kitchen. 

MilesDaddy

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »
I wish you luck, only houses for 50K here in Cali are in the worst neighborhoods. .. NO thanks...

zena

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2012, 03:14:11 PM »
Attics and basements gives me the creeps!  Everytime I have to go down to the basement, I always run up the stairs cause I think something is behind me.  I'm crazy! :idiot2: :2funny: :idiot2: :D

LOL! 

True.........and kids are no help either so either you got to do all the works yourself or let the house be dirty or give up........  When I have all my kids here it is constantly cleaning, picking up, etc.  Too much work but when no kids here and just 1-2 then it sound quiet and never have to deal with all those works.  My only priority is to clean the bathrooms and kitchen. 

That's why we want to retire in a smaller ranch-style home.  Kids will be all grown and and starting their own life.  There's no reason to have a big messy house anymore.   ;D

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2014, 09:59:23 PM »
Homeowners, after your experience(s) buying your first home (or second +), what would you do differently the next time you buy a home (or maybe even your retirement home)?  Or are you the kind that knew exactly what you got and are happy to be in your home forever?

For me, I am eying a retirement home (for the far future), and one that is all brick (or at least 50%) all the way around and ranch style.  A walk-out ranch would be perfect but not necessary.  Living in my current home, a 3 floor, over 3000 sq ft (including basement), is way too much to clean.  I remember living in a 2-bedroom 800 sq ft condo and having to clean the one bathroom was a pain.  Now I have 3 bathrooms to clean (one master, one regular, and one powder) and I just can't keep up.  I know, these things are trivial, but it takes so much time going up and down the stairs.  Luckily, we don't have our basement finished but when we do, there will be another bathroom there.  I'd like to keep it at 3.

I do like our current small yard but I'd definitely like a larger space so that I can plant more trees and flowering plants.

I can't imagine anyone wanting a 3000 sq ft house.

I am perfectly fine with a 800 sq ft house.

zena

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2014, 09:46:27 AM »
I can't imagine anyone wanting a 3000 sq ft house.

I am perfectly fine with a 800 sq ft house.

An 800 sq ft home is good for one to two people.  The family lived in a 875 sq ft end unit condo for 5 years.  There were 3 of us and then a 4th joined in the last two years.  It was crowded.  I think when we bought the house, we over compensated for the lack of space in the condo, but there would have been no way for us to know until a year or so later when we finally felt settled.  We still own the condo so maybe some day, when the kids are grown, we might move back.  Okay. No.  But, we'll buy something with less square footage.  :)

I agree.  3K sq ft is quite big.

peas_n_queues

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2014, 01:30:43 PM »
I like porches so I'd love a wrap around porch!!  The house we currently live in does not have a porch.  :(

Something like this

zena

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2014, 09:46:27 PM »
peas, that's a nice house.  I think that style is called French Colonial??  I'm not a big wrap around porch gal but I do like me some porch.  Our current home has a tiny porch but not enough to put any seating and/or table.

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2014, 04:29:02 PM »
An 800 sq ft home is good for one to two people.  The family lived in a 875 sq ft end unit condo for 5 years.  There were 3 of us and then a 4th joined in the last two years.  It was crowded.  I think when we bought the house, we over compensated for the lack of space in the condo, but there would have been no way for us to know until a year or so later when we finally felt settled.  We still own the condo so maybe some day, when the kids are grown, we might move back.  Okay. No.  But, we'll buy something with less square footage.  :)

I agree.  3K sq ft is quite big.

The very 1st home we put down an offer for was a 3300sf home that was 4 bedrooms, loft, office room, etc. but behind the backyard is farm land.  It was a short sale listed for 210k.  We offer full price because it was ready to move in and still a new area recently build but another town or next town.  We heard back in one month and got it but they only gave us 2 weeks to closed on the home.  We can't get everything done on time because of home inspection, etc. another thing our loan need renewal again because they only gave us 4 or 6 months time.  It was okay so we back out and the next person who offer was in 2nd got the house but he pay cash for it. 

I have picture of almost every home we put an offer in but get outbid majority of the time except for our house because I was the first to know it came on the market and got our agent to work quick on getting us to see the house since the seller agent is same company. 

MilesDaddy

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2014, 05:21:35 PM »
currently living that situation as we speak. Probably gonna pick up my keys and close escrow before the end of the month. For us we love our area. we wanted to stay in the neighborhood. Glad we found something we could afford and grow into. We loved our old house but 1 bathroom and 900 sq ft was just fine when it was just the wife and I, but with two little boys we are now running out of space......So we been quietly looking for about a year now and

This is the main thing that sold us on buying this house

Living room not to shabby either..

zena

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2014, 10:11:59 PM »
The very 1st home we put down an offer for was a 3300sf home that was 4 bedrooms, loft, office room, etc. but behind the backyard is farm land.  It was a short sale listed for 210k.  We offer full price because it was ready to move in and still a new area recently build but another town or next town.  We heard back in one month and got it but they only gave us 2 weeks to closed on the home.  We can't get everything done on time because of home inspection, etc. another thing our loan need renewal again because they only gave us 4 or 6 months time.  It was okay so we back out and the next person who offer was in 2nd got the house but he pay cash for it. 

I have picture of almost every home we put an offer in but get outbid majority of the time except for our house because I was the first to know it came on the market and got our agent to work quick on getting us to see the house since the seller agent is same company. 

How were you able to figure out when your house first got on the market? 

zena

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2014, 10:15:02 PM »
currently living that situation as we speak. Probably gonna pick up my keys and close escrow before the end of the month. For us we love our area. we wanted to stay in the neighborhood. Glad we found something we could afford and grow into. We loved our old house but 1 bathroom and 900 sq ft was just fine when it was just the wife and I, but with two little boys we are now running out of space......So we been quietly looking for about a year now and

That's a nice house.  I like the open space and the big backyard.  The wood floor is nice too.  Great find!  O0

Advertisements