Advertisement

Author Topic: Homeowners - What Would You Do Differently?  (Read 15649 times)

Offline Ron Burgundy

• Sr. Poster
  • Handsome Man's Club Applicant
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
Re: Homeowners - What Would You Do Differently?
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2014, 04:43:18 PM »
This thread was a nice re-hash... O0

I'm with you moonangel, not gonna go over 3,000 sq ft my next time around. 8)   As much as I like my small apartment now and the neighborhood, I cannot stomach the price per sq ft and the property taxes in the city.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2014, 11:21:52 AM »
How were you able to figure out when your house first got on the market? 

The seller agent know us already because he bump into us many time when we was house hunting because he like a top seller agent in most area we roam.  I happened to be on the computer often like I always when I was looking at listing constantly and when it pop up like 1-2 min. After browsing back and forth then I called my agent right away that the listing was good and that we need to go see it right away.  I was the 1st to see it and we just made the offer right away because there is not much listing to look around anymore in this small town and pretty going to the same area each time like across the street, around the block, couple house down from previous viewing, etc.  we kind of almost want to give up looking but then as 1st time homebuyer in the back of my mind I told myself we can't get everything on our must wants so....

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2014, 11:30:51 AM »
currently living that situation as we speak. Probably gonna pick up my keys and close escrow before the end of the month. For us we love our area. we wanted to stay in the neighborhood. Glad we found something we could afford and grow into. We loved our old house but 1 bathroom and 900 sq ft was just fine when it was just the wife and I, but with two little boys we are now running out of space......So we been quietly looking for about a year now and

This is the main thing that sold us on buying this house

Living room not to shabby either..

Wow that is one big yard and good deal.  The kitchen just look kind of small with less counter space but there is room to remodel so not bad.  Where are u putting the fridge?  Very open too which is what I like. 

Do keep us update on any change you make to the house down the road. 

TruthAboveKnowledge

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2014, 06:09:35 PM »
A big kitchen would be nice but also living in the right neighborhood matters, and building is probably the best way to go, except, when the house settles.  That's something I don't know if I'd like to do again.

We've been in our built home for just over 2 years and the cracks that keep getting wider are really scaring me, especially those in the basement.  They say it's okay to have those cracks along the creases as long as they don't go over so many inches.  It's the weirdest feeling to wait and wonder how far the cracks will open and if by the time they get to the point of having redone, if our warranty would be over.  It'll be expensive w/o the warranty. 

Are any of you into the separate formal dining rooms? I'm not sure what year that became popular.

Cracks in the basement floors are common unless they got really big.  You can almost have your husband repair the basement floor with some manly strength and repour the floor if you have to.  On the other hand, if the basement walls are cracking it may be a bigger problem then you think.  Make sure your sump pump works properly to take away the excessive water as it may weaken the soil compaction and cause the load to shift on the footings.  It would not be a good thing if that had happened.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2014, 01:14:25 PM »
The only thing that scares me about newly-built neighborhoods is that back when it was all the rage, all sorts of people were getting loans to buy in those neighborhoods. As the subdivisions matured, not all homeowners were taking care of their property even with HOA. Some subdivisions became really crappy.

If you can afford to buy a house in a well-established, upscale neighborhood, that is the better way to go. You know that most likely those residents are planning retirement in their house. And older people generally take better care of their house.

Advertisements