Advertisement

Author Topic: Neej Neeg ONLY!  (Read 12777 times)

Offline AppleBrook

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +34
    • View Profile
Neej Neeg ONLY!
« on: May 03, 2012, 11:43:11 AM »
share with us some of the stories you heard that is real and/or personal accounts you had experienced which merits a historical mark in a manner that years from now it is still remarkable.

i heard of this one from my best friend who we went to college together.  it is about how he, his siblings, parents and relatives escaped from laos to thai land.  this neej neeg is quite touching, especially to me.  here it goes.

he was about 8 years, old enough to gather food from the wild for his parents and young siblings but too young to carry a gun in combat.  they were in a group of close relatives.  there were about 50 members in the group.  they went through in thick-dense  mountains and rough terrains to get to their desired destination.  on the way, they ran into some difficult mishaps, especially one major which separated and killed many members in the group.  his family and his two uncles' family were fortunately congregated at the side of the mountain after the major mishap and gunfire with the red vietcongs.  after a day and night on the run, the vietcong were still after them.  they came upon a river bank near a forest-dense plateau, and the vietcong were just a few feet away.  one of the uncle's 2 years son was crying.  his covered his son's mouth, but the sound was still loud enough to trigger their whereabout.  it was too late to opium him, so the uncle grasp his 2 years son by the leg and smashed him to the rock on the ground near the river.  he killed his son by stumping the head to the shallow river with his feet.  while this ordeal was taking place, the vietcongs walked pass them a few yards away.  the next few days and night they reached the mekong river. 

the much sad mishap and dear unfortunate at the mekong river is another "must hear" neej neeg.  some bitter tears came down upon my face from my eyes when he told me this neej neeg while we were fishing at a local river.  i just cannot understand how/why humanity is so cruel, evil and selfish.  just recently, i discoverd and learned that those vietcongs who killed our brothers, sisters, parents, uncles, aunts, grandfathers, grandmothers, in-laws and friends in laos in the hill mountains and/or river banks ARE ACTUALLY HMONGS!

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 06:03:10 PM by AppleBrook »

Like this post: 0
If you are content to let me shine
NEVER walk one step behind...

Adverstisement

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
Re: Neej Neeb ONLY!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 12:00:37 PM »
First of all, the use of neej neeb refers to shamanism life only. What you are demonstrating here is more of a dab neeg kind of thing.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline AppleBrook

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 12:07:18 PM »
First of all, the use of neej neeb refers to shamanism life only. What you are demonstrating here is more of a dab neeg kind of thing.

NO!  dab neeg is somewhat fictional, an event so surreal yet ghostly like.  neej neeb is non-fictional, must be a real "people" occurrence.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 12:17:42 PM »
NO!  dab neeg is somewhat fictional, an event so surreal yet ghostly like.  neej neeb is non-fictional, must be a real "people" occurrence.

The Hmong have used the word dabneeg to mean both a folktale and a historical narration of a past real event.  How you spell your syllables--together, they refer to shaman life or shaman lifestyle or shaman fate only.   

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline AppleBrook

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 12:20:45 PM »
The Hmong have used the word dabneeg to mean both a folktale and a historical narration of a past real event.  How you spell your syllables--together, they refer to shaman life or shaman lifestyle or shaman fate only.   

i respect your definition, but this is mine.  i trust you would do the same in return.  share your neej neeg of the like "per my definition" stated herein above if you do have one.

thx.

meiyouren

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 02:03:28 PM »
I heard this from my grandmother several years ago while she and my aunts were talking about some relatives.  I think I refer to this relative as aunt or Phauj T.  During the war Phauj T’s husband was killed by the Vietcongs.  Phauj T was still young and they had three children together, all girls.  The oldest was about 6, the middle girl was about 3 or 4, and the youngest was just a baby. 

After her husband died they made the journey from Laos to Thailand.  The baby was drugged with opium so that she slept most of the way and Phauj T was able to carry her on her back.  The oldest was able to walk and carry a small pack on her back.  The middle girl though was slow and forced Phauj T and them to fall behind. 

The group they were in wasn’t going to wait for them and time wasn’t on their side.  Eventually Phauj T had to make a tough decision.  She purposely drugged her middle daughter with enough opium to kill her and left her body in the jungle.

My grandpa said that during their journey from Laos they saw horrible things.  They saw abandoned babies nuzzling on the rotten flesh of their dead mothers in the jungles.  They saw children that were left behind in the jungle to fend for themselves because their parents couldn’t risk taking them with them.  Elderly people left to die alone because they were too slow and couldn’t go on.

Offline AppleBrook

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 05:51:41 PM »
I heard this from my grandmother several years ago while she and my aunts were talking about some relatives.  I think I refer to this relative as aunt or Phauj T.  During the war Phauj T’s husband was killed by the Vietcongs.  Phauj T was still young and they had three children together, all girls.  The oldest was about 6, the middle girl was about 3 or 4, and the youngest was just a baby. 

After her husband died they made the journey from Laos to Thailand.  The baby was drugged with opium so that she slept most of the way and Phauj T was able to carry her on her back.  The oldest was able to walk and carry a small pack on her back.  The middle girl though was slow and forced Phauj T and them to fall behind. 

The group they were in wasn’t going to wait for them and time wasn’t on their side.  Eventually Phauj T had to make a tough decision.  She purposely drugged her middle daughter with enough opium to kill her and left her body in the jungle.

My grandpa said that during their journey from Laos they saw horrible things.  They saw abandoned babies nuzzling on the rotten flesh of their dead mothers in the jungles.  They saw children that were left behind in the jungle to fend for themselves because their parents couldn’t risk taking them with them.  Elderly people left to die alone because they were too slow and couldn’t go on.

touching and sad indeed.  war never realizes and knows humanity.  i guess this sort of things is a part of the beast. 

Offline AppleBrook

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Neej Neeg ONLY!
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 11:54:46 AM »
wow...he sacrified his little toddler for the lives of many others.

My dad had many stories to tell of our struggles and escapes during those times but I never fully paid attention to his stories. I should record them before it's too late. One story that I remember was about my little brother.  When we were hiding from the vietcongs, he got thirsty but we didn't have any so he ended up drinking urine released by my mom and my older sister. 

that is a neej neeg shall last a life-time and priceless!  please do share some as you learn more about them.

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +200
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 01:48:38 PM »

I think Apple meant to say:  Neej Neeg which is Life stories...

I don't have any personal stories but I've heard of a story from an Aunty.  She was telling us women that back in the home country, one of her child, a young child, got sick and died.  She said the child's hands and feet were still warm..looked like he was sleeping only.  After the burial, the villagers and herself heard her child crying from the grave...for awhile and eventually, the crying stopped.  Now that she reflected back, she said, "I think my child was not dead but was probably unconscious and we didn't know so we buried him.."

When I heard that life story (neej neeg), it was soooo heartbreaking :'( :'( :'( 

But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

Offline AppleBrook

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 03:03:24 PM »
so below is the part which my friend told happened at the mekong river.  enjoy.

his uncle and one of the young man swam across the river to thailand so that they would get some boats, more like a canoe, from the local thai.  they took some silver bars and coins with them to pay for the boats and people who would take everyone across the river from the laos side to thai side.  the two had been gone for two days.  they started to worry if something had happened to them either killed in the river by drowning or robbed and killed by the thai.  there was no food left to eat.  the young kids and adults were able to scratch and gather vegations around to keep them alive.  especially the every young kids, they had extremely hard times.  he said that one of the women in the group has a 3 years old daughter who refused to eat wild vegations and drink dirt water which pooled up by the constain rains.  the kid couldn't eat and drink anything while crying and making noise.  this prompted the group to decide what to do with the kid.  majority voted to kill her by strangulation and bury her in the rain dirt.  the mother and father were heart-broken with tears on their eyes and face.  the parents knew what they had to do.  they did the unthinkable which voted by the majority of the group.

he told me that they would eat anything that i could find either edible or not because they were so hungry.  they would also drink any pool of water on the dirt or on the leave.  upon the third night of the second day came the two who left to thailand and five boats.  the thai demanded money first or they wouldn't take everyone across the river.  the two men argued that they would give the money once they all got crossed over to the other side of river.  the much heated confrontation went on for hours at which time it was almost morning.  the group decided to give the thai half of the money and the rest when they all got across.  the thai agreed.  thirty of them including women and children hopped equally on the five boats.  half way into the fast current river, two boat flipped over.  thai told them to tie each other up so that they would not fall off the boat.  when the boats flipped and they were on the water, they each dragged themselves down to the bottow of the river.  thai did this purposely so that they all died.  all the women and kids on the two boat that got flipped die, except the men who could swim across.  some swam back to laos and got killed.  fortunately, the other three boats didn't get flipped over.  my friend told me that the main reason why their didn't flip over is because his uncles tie themself to the thai boater.  they told the thai boater that if we go down then you go down with us too. 

when they got crossed over to the side of thailand, there was another sad mishap.  this one is a must tell as well.  i will postpone this one until next time.

by the way, my friend's mother and father got killed by the vietcongs on the way to the mekong river.  he and his oldest sister had to be a father and mother to their younger siblings as they tried to cross the jungles and mekong river to their freedom.  i will also discuss how his parents died and buried.  the burial part would be extremely difficulty to grasp by any mean in nature.  you know, when he told me his life during this ordeal, my tears rained (not dripped) and so did his.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:58:12 PM by AppleBrook »

Wi_sweetguy

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 04:29:39 PM »
So we're making up new definitions for Hmoob words now?

Neej Neeg makes no sense. If you want to be grammatically accurate in Hmoob, you have to say Neeg lus neej.

Wrong definition.

AppleBrook, your definition is right on the money.
The definition of Neej Neeb is different from dab neeb.  Two different definition.
Lub tsuab or sab sia hua are also different.  These are some deep hmong words. haha

Offline AppleBrook

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 04:35:22 PM »
as stated herein above, i respected everyone's definition.  read mine as i had explained and make your contributions if you have any.

Offline saki saki

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 03:11:23 PM »
AppleBrook, i didn't want to quote on ur long sad story, but you are rite, Hmong ppl killing Hmong ppl, so tat they can raise to power by the Veits..that is another reason why we lost the war.. ur own ppl shooting us, whrn we think ur relatives who we trust, are the ones tat'll kill N rape us.. i'm not suprise at wat you mention.
So sad but very true..

pajnpis

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 06:24:07 PM »
My mil told me so many stories about the war.

1. While running away from the enemies, my mil and her group came across a baby. The mother was dead and already rotten. The only part that still look fresh was her boob which was still producing milk and even leaking out milk for the baby( baby's about 6 month). Since her uncle and his wife don't have a child, they decided to take the child making a small quick ritual telling the mom that they're taking the baby as their own. My mil said that probably her spirit was there watching over her child since her body was so rotton and smelly that the baby was still alive and safe.

2. Story that my mil heard from one of her uncle before he came back to their hideout. Her uncle went out looking for food. On the way back, the enemy was around that area so he hide in a hole. That night, he dreamt that he was in between 2 houses. One was an old guy and the other was a lady. They were both yelling at him to get out and away from their houses all night long. When he woke up during the day, he found out that he was sleeping between two graves.

3. My mil was always the one that usually run ahead without caring about what's up ahead of her. Even though at the time everyone was told to be careful and to look for those bomb that are hung on branches, she still run. She was 1 inches away from the bomb before touching it when her brother yell and pulled her away from it. If not for that, the whole group would had die that instant. It's those bomb where they hung in bushes/branches at waist level where if you touch it, it would activate and metal pieces would come flying out. To this day, she said that if it weren't for her brother, her mistake would had killed that whole group.

4. My mil heard this from one of her cousin. There was a family of 3. The mother, daughter, and father. Since they only have 2 bag, the father told the mother and daughter to go first and he'll follow afterward when he find something to float on. Halfway across the river, they could hear the enemy afar. The current was pushing them back but then the husband suddenly pop up from behind them. He told them, "koj niam kuv mam li thawb neb mus os" (wife I'll push you both). They didn't even kick or anything, the husband was doing all the work while they both hold on to the bag floatie.When they got to the other side, they looked behind them but the husband was gone. Looking over to the other side, they could see that the father was dead already and the enemy was over there too having them both realize that the husband spirit came back to save them before going.

5. My mil said that if it weren't for animals (she believed that it's the spirit of the forest), many wouldn't had make it to the river. Whenever the enemies come, an animal such as a deer would wait at a certain area and cried until the group see them and run into the safe direction which they would follow it. When it comes to a stop, they would know that it's a safe spot. Afterward, the animal would disappear. Another is that, you see the dead everywhere, already rotten or those that are old, sick, or even babies are being left on the way. No one can do anything whether they want to or not. At the time, she was even too scare to even complain about the rotting smell from the dead or even remember smelling it. All you think about is run and watch out for bombs.

Those that did pay Thai to cross over the river, most of them turned out dead. What the thai did was make them pay, then take them to a small island and kill them. The small process goes over again, if not, kill them on the other side.

I don't know much from my mom side since except that she fell down hill and if it werent for her mom that pushed her from behind, she probably couldn't run up the hill.

Forgot to mention this one, my mil also said that an enemy was shooting them from behind and if it weren't for that huge bag of rice that she was carrying on her back, she would had die. The bullet hit though the bag of rice barely hitting her back.

If you ask an og and if they're willing to share, they would tell you their story. It seem like my mother didn't really wanna tell me what happen during the war since probably she doesn't want to remember those times. I know a cousin who had a bullet that went through his mouth and got stuck on the back. It's still there but he pass away due to sickness about 6 years ago. As my for mil brother, a bullet's stuck inside his head at the top which the doctor didn't want to do surgery but he's still alive.

Offline saki saki

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2019, 04:53:31 AM »
I do believe dabneeg and neng neng are two different era's.
Example. Dabneeg is like 10yrs or older kinda stories. Therefore its call dabneeg. Cuz it's in the past. Like Americans call it 2 centuries ago.
Neeg neeg is like under 10 and it's most recently.
Example: this hmong family lived in a haunted house.
And the wife cheats. And so hubby and wife gets into it. Hubby kills wife while he's having sex with her and then himself.. haha I know it was too extreme.and it was just like 3yrs ago.

Advertisements