Advertisement

Author Topic: Those who went to the Hmong Music Festival...what do you think of it?  (Read 12618 times)

Elise

I hope they'll bring the HMF to the midwest next year.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Solemn Wind

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
The youtubes, for even though gives you a glimpse of HMF, for those who was there, will readily agree that it does zero justice. You just have to be there.

Reading some of the youtube comments, some say why are people screaming so loud...let the singers sing...these are obviously people who wasn't there. I, myself, hated when I watch singings at New Year stage, a Hmong singing talent show at a school gym/auditorium or even that big building at the Fresno New Year...simply because I can't hear the singers or it's super annoying when the croud scream and yell like that. But at this concert stage in Fresno, they truly have a state of art super sound system, it's outside, and if everyone in the crowd screams at the top of their lungs we could still hear the singers/bands nicely...and that's how it should be. If there is something wrong with the crowd it's because they didn't cream loud enough.

woofwoof

It was alright. 

Few things to point out. 

It should be called Hmong-American Music Festival.  This is because we have some singers that sung only in English.  You don't see the Jay Z singing Japanese at the American Music Award right?  There you go.   All songs should have been sung in Hmong, that should have been the way to go.

Some of those singers was way off pitch/tone and sh1t.  Some of them was so bad, you don't even have to know anything about music to know it was off.

Some performance was boring as heck, stuff you see at your local Hmong New Year/sport tournaments, nothing new.

Now, before anybody goes ape sh1t, this is just my observation and opinion.  Some might like it more, some might like it less.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 11:17:51 AM by woofwoof »

Like this post: -1

Joe_Kali4nia

I'm also in Fresno but missed it.  Just by looking at the videos my only critic is that if it's a Hmong Music Festival why aren't all the artists singing Hmong?  Great job on the stage set ups.  Hope to be there next year.

F-16

I was there.  Disappointed with the attendance and performers.  Majority of the artists didn't have the professional touches.  The stage was nicely set up for live bands rather than solo, group dance.  I too was disappointed that a lot of artists sang in English too.  If you're going to perform in English then at least bring someone who's popular like Brenda Siong instead of unknowns.  There's always improvement next year so I give it a C-.

Like this post: -1

yamchild

I agree too that many of the artists did not sing in Hmong.  Maybe that should be a requirement next year because that's why I came to this Festival for to hear them in Hmong.  If I wanted English songs I could watch any mainstream American artist at any time. 

But.... I still enjoyed it!

Highlights from first 10 performers:

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 11:52:57 PM by yamchild »

Mr.Crowley

I wonder if the promoters profit?

woofwoof

I wonder if the promoters profit?

Judging from the attendance.... ..NOPE.

Mr.Crowley

Judging from the attendance.... ..NOPE.

That's too bad because a festival like that took a lot of time and a lot of $$$$. Maybe next year will be better.

JakeSnake

I think they might broke even because they had a few corporate sponsors.  I didn't see a video of Laib Laus from Thailand.  Did they backed out?

Mr.Crowley

Plus didn't they have vendors?

MrMrs

Wow I see a lot of my relatives performing. =) I hope they have it again next year so that I can attend! Reflection is my favorite hmong band. Amy Her is my girl  :-*

uglykidjohn

HMF 2013 has been confirmed. See you guys next year.

Like this post: +1

starlight

It was an AWESOME event, and AZNLIVE has officially announce that there will be another one next year.

As to whatever language they sang in, it shouldn't matter.  It a celebration of Hmong Artist/Musician.  They could be singing English, Hmong, Laos, Thai, or Chinese...it doesn't matter.

Check out the photos from the event.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.299776596781886.72931.283764565049756&type=1

Like this post: +1

starlight

For those who missed it, but still wants to know more info about it, here's the website.

http://hmf.aznlive.com/

Advertisements