Advertisement

Author Topic: Scared on getting a Motorcycle?  (Read 5263 times)

Offline Sith

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +322
    • View Profile
Scared on getting a Motorcycle?
« on: June 14, 2012, 02:34:01 PM »

Took a riding class last year. During one of the exercise, I went flying. (YES, like Superman!).

Nothing broken. Just my psyche. I was able to pass the Motorcycle test.

But ever since then, I haven't been on a motorcycle. Memory keeps flashing back to the accident.

Is this just me?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Re: Scared on getting a Motorcycle?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 09:06:59 AM »

Is this just me?

Yeah, I think so. What I've seen so far is people fall (made an error) and get right back on to improve on those falls regardless if it's a motorcycling, bicycling, roller skating, skiing, skateboarding, horse riding, driving, etc.

Sounded like you had a slow speed high side. However, you were able to get back on the bike and passed the course so not sure why you are having those thoughts. Now if you fell, you went home without passing the course, I can see...

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 12:26:51 PM »
One has to put lots of $$$$ on a two wheels to make it a custom fit for oneself. :-X.  A little ptsd will make your knees jerk from time to time as well  :2funny:.

Motorcycles are generally not a cheap hobby so find something else if your priority isn't about riding :'(.

True for some, not for others. It just depends on the individual. Most of my 10 or so bikes over the years have been bone stock because it served the purpose perfectly so no additional money was added to it.

JustMe

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 01:16:25 PM »
At least your aware of what dangers there are to riding a bike.  It is not for everyone, just be true to yourself if its not for you.  Not everyone has the physical and mental abilities to ride.  If its not for you don't ride, if it is then just beware of your surroundings at all times. 

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 05:20:36 PM »
At least your aware of what dangers there are to riding a bike.  It is not for everyone, just be true to yourself if its not for you.  Not everyone has the physical and mental abilities to ride.  If its not for you don't ride, if it is then just beware of your surroundings at all times. 

True, there's no one thing/activity/hobby that is for everyone. I have co-workers in the past that would rather use public transportation like bus and subway because it's safer than driving a car based on data and stats. Gotta do what's right for you regardless of what anyone says.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 05:24:07 PM »
I want the Yamaha Midnight Warrior. *drools*

Do it! The warrior has been around since 2002 and pretty much unchanged so if you don't want to spend alot of money, you can pick up a good condition used one for a fraction of the new MSRP.  O0

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 12:46:56 AM »
I've heard the vstar is way under power for its class.  Never been on one yet so this is all based on the opinions of other riders.

I had a 2000 V* 1100 Classic and it's alright and on par with other 1100 V-Twin cruisers i.e., Aero 1100. But my friend's wife's V* 650 is under power for me, good for her though as she only weighs 100 lbs., and also on par with other in the same class.

Here's my bike in a sea of sportbikes in front of the blue R6 during our trip to Alpine Lake:

« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 12:48:42 AM by theking »

vangkm007

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 11:45:18 AM »
The only thing that can give you your confidence back is to ride. Time riding and getting to know your bike will increase your confidence.

I remember when I bought my first bike, rode it home on the interstate when the fastest I had gone up till then was 20 in a parking lot.

It was an interesting ride.

Finest

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 01:47:04 AM »
I remember when I bought my first bike, rode it home on the interstate when the fastest I had gone up till then was 20 in a parking lot.

It was an interesting ride.

LOL!  Second day of getting my bike and learning to ride, I was on the highway doing 100+.  It was definitely the biggest rush I've ever felt in any moving vehicle before.  Now I just ride to cruise and for daily work duties at a much slower pace.   :P

Vangpao

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 12:20:25 PM »
Wait till you get a lateral G when you're cornering. Talk about a rush.

Like this post: +1

Advertisements