Advertisement

Author Topic: What is the role of the "txiv cob txheeb" in a traditional Hmong wedding?  (Read 7713 times)

Toumeng

I've been asked to be the txiv cob txheeb for my niece's wedding and I don't have a clue what I am suppose to do. Please explain the responsibiliti es of the txiv cob txheeb.

Thank you in advance.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

GoldFishFighting

ntuas koj tus ntxhais mus ua neej..

Toumeng

ntuas koj tus ntxhais mus ua neej..

I know but kuv yuav hais li cas.  :(

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
I've been asked to be the txiv cob txheeb for my niece's wedding and I don't have a clue what I am suppose to do. Please explain the responsibiliti es of the txiv cob txheeb.

Thank you in advance.

Watch those videos by Bee Yang. There's a whole video devoted to "Cob Txheeb". He does an excellent job of explaining why we have it and the role of the Txiv Cob Txheeb. It has to do with designating a male relative of the bride as her guardian should her parents fail to represent her adequately during times of friction with her husband and his side of the family.

For example, there has been cases where the bride comes from a poor family. Unfortunately sometimes, the husband or his clan or both will treat her disrespectfull y just because of her vulnerable background. Her parents feel powerless to seek justice for her because they're at a disadvantage compared to the groom's side. The Txiv Cob Txheeb will step in to act as her parent and seek justice for her. The Txiv Cob Txheeb should be someone of status - ib tug txawj nrhiav noj nrhiav haus, muaj nyiaj muaj txiaj li tebchaws, and ib tug neeg paub tab thiab coj li tus laus. This alone will garner respect for the bride so that her husband's clan muaj chaw ntshai. 

Yang also goes on to explain how the Txiv Cob Txheeb should phij cuam tus ntxhais. Traditionally the designated guardian will gift a robe (tsho laus -  robe for the deceased). This is in the event that should the bride pass away and her parents are gone, someone will make sure that she is properly dressed at her own funeral. Otherwise, the husband's side could just care less and let her go naked. Maybe they will strip her of all her jewelry and good clothes. The Txiv Cob Txheeb will come to the funeral and inspect his sister/daughter to make sure that she is presentable and proper. He will look for the gift that he sent with the dowry.  If anything is out of place, it is his role to seek justice for her. 

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 01:27:56 PM by Believe_N_Me »

Like this post: +1

yuknowthat

Thank you in advance.
like many explained..yog tu ntuas koj tus muam lossis niece mus ua neej, pretty much guardian to look over her after her parents are gone.

nraughmoobmuas

Aside from giving your niece a lecture about how to become a good wife, just practice to ua tsaug.

Advertisements