Advertisement

Author Topic: MTB riding and cardio fitness  (Read 3185 times)

kyrie_eleison

MTB riding and cardio fitness
« on: July 10, 2012, 08:52:57 AM »
The last few years, I've been mountain biking a lot throughout parts of northern and southern California.  It's easy when your job allows you to travel to remote places.  It gives me a chance to explore.  Anyways, I've spent thousands of dollars reinventing my ride.  I've gone from 26" wheels to 29" and in the process, I've sorted to making it lighter and heavier at the same time.  I know...it sounds strange but it occurred to me that I've met people on the trail who have claimed to have done this and that but the one place they've not considered shaving the weight off was their mid-section. 

Biking gives you a great cardio workout.  The problem is, you have to challenge yourself.  If you're only riding flats all the time or pavement or downhill exclusively, you never really push yourself to the next level.  I've ridden many trails but I resorted to going on 3 specific trails in which I have time-trialed myself.  Each time I go out there, I try to push it to the next level and shave a few minutes off of my ride time.  There are sections where I'll have to go slower around tight bends or up and over rocks/boulders or fallen trees or through small ravines.  Other times, I'll try make it up on the aggressive downhill or moderate flats. 

But the one thing I learned that has helped me ride faster (at times) is having a workout buddy.  That is motivation!  Usually if you have someone there to root you on, you'll perform better and your results will be more noticeable. 

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

kyrie_eleison

Re: MTB riding and cardio fitness
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 04:12:30 PM »
for me....,  it better be flat cuz 1/2 a block up hill makes me gasping for air :2funny:.  Lacking self discipline and not challenging myself. Good for those of you guys/girls who push yourself to another level (s) though.  Keep it up and ride safe.

:dark1:

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 06:15:52 PM »
If you're only riding flats all the time or pavement or downhill exclusively, you never really push yourself to the next level. 

No way, you're kidding right?

kyrie_eleison

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 08:27:52 PM »
No way, you're kidding right?

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious here. 

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 12:18:27 AM »
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious here. 

No, not serious...Ther e's another Pher here that's really into mountain biking. He posted a bunch of pics and vids of his treks but can't recall his name...shouldn't be hard to search for though.

MilesDaddy

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 12:34:26 AM »
I ride a SS bike, only gear is my legs.... plenty of workout for me. I think I want to get a BMX Cruiser..same concept as the SS bike except now I can be more abusive...hit jumps and the like.
my bike simular to this....less fancy though

Anthony

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 11:47:39 AM »
Never had to breath so much in my life before until I started riding uphill but the main thing for me is mtb is fun. You get a great work out by having fun and the mountain tops and sceneries are fantastic sight as well. Almost all the people I encountered on the trails are slim so I'm thinking if I keep riding, it will be good for my health. I'm too old to be challenging myself, rather ride for health and sightseeing.

Advertisements