Advertisement

Author Topic: Dreaming About My Grandma  (Read 1453 times)

Offline yubnag

• Elite Poster
  • Redamancy
  • Respect: +73
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Dreaming About My Grandma
« on: August 21, 2012, 04:28:28 PM »
My grandma has passed away since 1997.

But recently, we, the family members has been having dreams about her, asking for help, for food 'cause she's starving.

Before I had a dream about her, I heard some strange noise in my room, it may be my cooler. I also felt something passing through in between the toes of my right foot. I experienced all this during that time when you're drifting in and out of sleep, you know. Then suddenly, I was dreaming and my grandma was begging me for help, to make SSI give her bigger income so she'll have enough to eat. She wept and said that she's starving and no one is helping. So I responded  and said that I'll help her and make sure she has enough.

Does it mean something? Should I bring food and drinks to her grave site? Do more?

Like this post: 0
Making a hundred friends is not a miracle. The miracle is to make a single friend who will stand by your side even when hundreds are against you.

Advertisement

Offline buster_me

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
Re: Dreaming About My Grandma
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 07:41:42 PM »
Jingle bell to go ask is the best way to start.

Offline yubnag

• Elite Poster
  • Redamancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 11:40:18 AM »
Ok, I'll have to talk to my folks.

Making a hundred friends is not a miracle. The miracle is to make a single friend who will stand by your side even when hundreds are against you.

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 11:21:50 PM »
Just curious but was your grandma's funeral ran by church or was it traditional? It's common to hear folks having dreams of their love one's hardship after they'd passed away and the family let the church ran their ways. My grandpa appears in my Aunt's dream with the same plead too because his funeral was manage by his church and the relatives did not gave him a traditional funeral.

Offline yuknowthat

• Elite Poster
  • "Your Criticism is Inspirational. Thank you ..."
  • Respect: +141
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 03:51:59 PM »
consult with the shaman, if it is, just burning some money paper, incense, and give some food offerings at home

...txhob ua siab deb........

Offline A_New_Beginning

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 09:49:13 PM »
Your grandma is hungry, probably doesnt have a proper place to call home in the after world. There's is no other way to contact this world, that's why she came in your dream...

All you have to do to be sure, is contact a shaman.

Offline yubnag

• Elite Poster
  • Redamancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 12:38:34 PM »
Just curious but was your grandma's funeral ran by church or was it traditional? It's common to hear folks having dreams of their love one's hardship after they'd passed away and the family let the church ran their ways. My grandpa appears in my Aunt's dream with the same plead too because his funeral was manage by his church and the relatives did not gave him a traditional funeral.

It was a traditional funeral. She's a shaman herself.

Offline yubnag

• Elite Poster
  • Redamancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 12:39:22 PM »
consult with the shaman, if it is, just burning some money paper, incense, and give some food offerings at home

Thanks. Will do. Right now, my folks are out of town so I'll have to wait until they return.

Offline yubnag

• Elite Poster
  • Redamancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 12:39:50 PM »
Your grandma is hungry, probably doesnt have a proper place to call home in the after world. There's is no other way to contact this world, that's why she came in your dream...

All you have to do to be sure, is contact a shaman.

Thanks, will do.

Offline pajnpis

• PH Newbie
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 10:02:47 PM »
I know this is a late post but those that happen to come by this thread will probably know what to do if this happen to them.

If you grandma come begging you for food, make some rice and food (whatever you prepared...jus t don't taste it). Set a table outside your place (not back yard), put a chair for your grandma and 1 spoon (the reason why 1 spoon is because if you put 2 spoon, others will eat up all her food with her). After that, say out loud, grandma I made you food, come and eat. When you think that she's done eating, you can clean it. I think you can do it at her grave...not sure but I was told about it from my mil if my grandma ever come asking for some to do that.

Since she's also telling you that she's poor, buy some hmong money paper and fold those boat that hmong usually fold. When it gets dark, go outside and burn it. Tell your grandma that you send her some money and for her to come get it.

I was telling my husband that my dad heard from a relative that one of their relative past away and they burnt the regular paper boat along with the chinese paper money. Their relative told them that they get more for the chinese paper money and we should do that for my grandma too. My husband then told me that if you sent the wrong money and they can't convert it up there, you'll get sick. He knows someone that burn off those american paper money and their relative told them that he got penalized for those because they don't know what those are up there. So, as a result, the whole family got sick and has to ask a shaman to ua neeb. Just to be on the safe side, we burn the regular boat paper.

Offline yubnag

• Elite Poster
  • Redamancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 11:20:52 AM »
I know this is a late post but those that happen to come by this thread will probably know what to do if this happen to them.

If you grandma come begging you for food, make some rice and food (whatever you prepared...jus t don't taste it). Set a table outside your place (not back yard), put a chair for your grandma and 1 spoon (the reason why 1 spoon is because if you put 2 spoon, others will eat up all her food with her). After that, say out loud, grandma I made you food, come and eat. When you think that she's done eating, you can clean it. I think you can do it at her grave...not sure but I was told about it from my mil if my grandma ever come asking for some to do that.

Since she's also telling you that she's poor, buy some hmong money paper and fold those boat that hmong usually fold. When it gets dark, go outside and burn it. Tell your grandma that you send her some money and for her to come get it.

I was telling my husband that my dad heard from a relative that one of their relative past away and they burnt the regular paper boat along with the chinese paper money. Their relative told them that they get more for the chinese paper money and we should do that for my grandma too. My husband then told me that if you sent the wrong money and they can't convert it up there, you'll get sick. He knows someone that burn off those american paper money and their relative told them that he got penalized for those because they don't know what those are up there. So, as a result, the whole family got sick and has to ask a shaman to ua neeb. Just to be on the safe side, we burn the regular boat paper.

Thanks but this sounds so spooky.  :-X

Offline MovKuam

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 12:25:19 PM »

Traditionally you can not do this thing, only her son(s) can do. Grand kids not allow to do such.

Got Coins!

Offline pajnpis

• PH Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 05:40:36 PM »
Well if you dream that your grandma came begging for foods, you'll want to feed her too. It's your grandma. If she told you she's poor, of course you'll burn some paper for her. Yes she's suppose to ask her sons but if she comes to you, what do you expect to do? If you don't care then don't send any. Everyone have their own way or point of view but I was told about this which I decided to burn some paper money for my grandma.

Offline chidorix0x

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +82
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 06:56:15 PM »
yubnag,

I've read everyone's comment or response to you. Allow me to clarify - from my experiences and insight/knowledge being a "traditional Hmong" - practically ALL my life, and presently and likely to my last breathe on Earth.

Basically what everyone said is not "exactly correct", especially pajnpis -- about the food offering outside/backyard and paper money burning at night.

This is the typical/normal traditional Hmong belief and course of action.

1.  First "why"? The reason your grandma came to you or your family in your dream(s), is in all likelihood (according to Hmong belief/rationale), is that those closer to her, meaning her sons/daughters - and this is where MovKuam was coming from - probably paid her no attention. They did not want to help her or do not care etc.. (Maybe they are Hmong-Christians or simply ignorante/ignoring your grandma.) You and your family are probably still traditional thus she intentionally came to seek help from you. Even if you or your family is not traditional, there is reason why she came to you guys. Maybe you guys love, care, and will help her etc..

2.  The simplest and easiest way to help is simply to go and buy some "paper money" and burn it as offerings to her. It does not matter where, when, or how simply or fancy you want to make it. All you have to do is simply say, "Grandma, I am offering money to give you. Come and take it so that you may have and use it to your needs."  That's it. You can even say it in English. Saying your grandma's name is not a bad idea either, as it is direct ...   O0  You can do the same thing with food. And that does not mean you have to cook something specifically for her. (Examp: You can be having a Big Mac at the park or in your car. Just break off a small piece, add some fries, and a cup of water/pop and say, "Grandma, come and eat. I have food here to offer you. Come and eat." Yeah, that easy. Just throw the "offered food" away afterwards. You can even ask for blessings during both or all of these times, when you offer "money" and "food" to her.) NO! You or your family will not get sick or anything by doing any of these.

3.  Lastly, the only time a "shaman" consultation is needed or is required is if after having dreams like these and you choose to do nothing, people within your family, randomly and unknowingly fall ill. Visiting the hospital or doctors has no diagnosis or cure. However, this case/instance is VERY VERY RARE, unheard of, especially if you/your family did what is in #2 (above) ...   O0

Lastly, not required, but if your grandma's burial is close by and within driving distance, periodically you may want to go visit and bring some food/money to offer her. Just be sure to inform her to come and eat/receive her money. We do that for my grandparents at least once or twice a year or whenever we go and visit their burial -- offering flowers, food, and sometimes "money", but mostly flowers and food/water.

Ua tsaug.

One baby step at a time so that you can spread your wings and fly.

Offline pajnpis

• PH Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 11:56:41 AM »
My way of offering food is also correct. If you're married and live out of state, of course you'll have to offer outside your house/apartment. You can't offer food inside your place.

About sickness, I'm just stating what my husband told me about a cousin of his that did. They offer the american paper money which the dead relative couldn't convert up there which create problems for that person, that's WHY the whole family got sick. It got to the point where they need a shaman. So I'm just saying that if you don't know, then just go with the original money offering instead of offering different money.

Advertisement