Advertisement

Author Topic: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)  (Read 225091 times)

couchpotato

Re: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 08:44:04 PM »
Even if you don't fly frequently, it's still nice to have in case you fly domestically. All domestic carriers partner with international carriers. :)

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 11:35:23 PM »
you should use Bart or a cab, guess it all depends on you luggae situation. ..I thought you were in the Central Valley and that I could probably offer you a lift. My mom lives in Hayward and I am always looking for an excuse to go visit.... Not to many Hmong folks in the East Bay, although my wife has a cousin in Alameda.

Good Point... For those sthat don't live in California or don't know the SF Bay Area... BART is Bay Area Regional Transit. Everyone, please keep in mind that most major cities and airports have buses/lightrail/or trains that goes directly to or near airports. If you're like me and find it hard to catch a ride to the airport, Public Transportation may be an option for you.

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 11:37:40 PM »
This is cool! Subscribed.

Mang... thanks for the support. If you have any advice, please share also.

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 11:39:06 PM »
Even if you don't fly frequently, it's still nice to have in case you fly domestically. All domestic carriers partner with international carriers. :)

Good point, I do travel alot domestically. SO, yea, I will sign up. FYI- for this trip, I will be using Korean Air and Vietnam Airt... They are part SkyTeam.

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 11:42:46 PM »
HOTEL RSVP...

I am looking at Hotels in KM52 and Vientiane, Agoda.com seems to have the best prices. I will let everyone know. Anyone have any connections in KM52??? I don't see any hotels listed there? I assume there are hotels there? Too small of a town? Do I have to shack up with the relatives? HEHEHEHE...

Like this post: +1

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 04:18:06 PM »
My sil want to borrow 1k to buy her ticket to Laos ahead of time and it will cost her $700 now but my husband refused to borrow to her because if that her own vacation time and nothing important so she should come up with the money herself.

I have not travel to Laos or Thailand but would like to someday go to Laos only because I have one uncle (my mom's only sibling/brother) and my dad has 2 half-brother.  My parent been there a few time but I don't know their process or how much they spend.  I just know that one year they went my dad had to called home for my oldest brother to send $700 for a cousin to buy a motorcycle because he was crying to my dad about his life and everything.... ..........

Another thing country like Thailand and Laos is never on my husband mind to travel even though he has travel around the world to 5 different country.  We do have our mind set to travel to China in 2013.  My husband went in 2009 but that was just a tour group which is not what you expected and better to be on your own.  My fil passed away in 2011 a few months before we planned on going to China that same year but couldn't find any couple or anyone to travel with us.  2012 or this year I had a baby and didn't look good enough to travel at all.  Lucky my husband met a Computer Tech. guy that come to his workplace to fixed computer and after a few time of seeing him they never talked until a month ago.  He's willing to show us around China if we really want to go.  This October or November he is heading over there for a week to handle some business and once he is back we can start planning ahead and make it a 2-3 week trip.  My husband want to go to Hong Kong but the guy told us that going over the Chinese over there are not friendly and give you those gestures like they don't like the Chinese from mainland.  He prefer us to go to Taiwan better.   

Good luck on your trip to Laos.  My mother's brother lived in Lav52/Vietiene and my dad's 2 half brother lived in Phonsovanh too.  If you want information I can always asked my parent for anything you need.

couchpotato

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 06:02:04 PM »
My sil want to borrow 1k to buy her ticket to Laos ahead of time and it will cost her $700 now but my husband refused to borrow to her because if that her own vacation time and nothing important so she should come up with the money herself.

I have not travel to Laos or Thailand but would like to someday go to Laos only because I have one uncle (my mom's only sibling/brother) and my dad has 2 half-brother.  My parent been there a few time but I don't know their process or how much they spend.  I just know that one year they went my dad had to called home for my oldest brother to send $700 for a cousin to buy a motorcycle because he was crying to my dad about his life and everything.... ..........

Another thing country like Thailand and Laos is never on my husband mind to travel even though he has travel around the world to 5 different country.  We do have our mind set to travel to China in 2013.  My husband went in 2009 but that was just a tour group which is not what you expected and better to be on your own.  My fil passed away in 2011 a few months before we planned on going to China that same year but couldn't find any couple or anyone to travel with us.  2012 or this year I had a baby and didn't look good enough to travel at all.  Lucky my husband met a Computer Tech. guy that come to his workplace to fixed computer and after a few time of seeing him they never talked until a month ago.  He's willing to show us around China if we really want to go.  This October or November he is heading over there for a week to handle some business and once he is back we can start planning ahead and make it a 2-3 week trip.  My husband want to go to Hong Kong but the guy told us that going over the Chinese over there are not friendly and give you those gestures like they don't like the Chinese from mainland.  He prefer us to go to Taiwan better.   

Good luck on your trip to Laos.  My mother's brother lived in Lav52/Vietiene and my dad's 2 half brother lived in Phonsovanh too.  If you want information I can always asked my parent for anything you need.

Unless you can speak and understand Chinese pretty well, or know someone who can show you around China I would not recommend going to (mainland) China without a tour group. This is especially true if you plan on going to more remote regions of China.

Neither the Chinese in Hong Kong or Taiwan particularly like mainlanders. Given the history, it's not much surprise. I think you can go to both Hong Kong and Taiwan. The flight between Taipei, Taiwan and Hong Kong is fairly cheap and is only about an hour and a half. While you are in Hong Kong, you can take a boat to Macau, the gambling center of Asia. :) The best part? You don't have to get your visas ahead of time and they are free for all three places. Mainland China on the otherhand....:(

« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 06:17:30 PM by couchpotato »

Real_Man

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 06:57:34 PM »
THE BEST REAL MAN ADVICE....BE SURE AND BRING LOTS OF CONDOMS...THAN KS

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 11:25:09 PM »

Berry... LOL... I totally understand. Borrowing money to relatives is always a NO NO. It's hard to ask for it back and it's hard to just let it go. You either give it as a gift or don't borrow at all.

As for Vientiane and Phonsavan, I have relatives there as well. What I was looking for is Hotels in LAV 52, names of hotels and prices. I want to budget and make some reservations.

Thank you for the notes and I will let you know if I need anything else. Good luck on your trip to China.

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 11:35:02 PM »
Unless you can speak and understand Chinese pretty well, or know someone who can show you around China I would not recommend going to (mainland) China without a tour group. This is especially true if you plan on going to more remote regions of China.

Neither the Chinese in Hong Kong or Taiwan particularly like mainlanders. Given the history, it's not much surprise. I think you can go to both Hong Kong and Taiwan. The flight between Taipei, Taiwan and Hong Kong is fairly cheap and is only about an hour and a half. While you are in Hong Kong, you can take a boat to Macau, the gambling center of Asia. :) The best part? You don't have to get your visas ahead of time and they are free for all three places. Mainland China on the otherhand....:(

Maybe it's just me... but other than the "Great Wall", I don't have any real desire to visit China. I have been to too many "China Town" in the USA I guess... Hehehehe... Seriously, Flights to Taipei and Taiwan or Hong Kong is way cheaper than to Laos or Thailand. I am not sure of the exchange rates there, but good luck.

couchpotato

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2012, 07:09:11 AM »
Maybe it's just me... but other than the "Great Wall", I don't have any real desire to visit China. I have been to too many "China Town" in the USA I guess... Hehehehe... Seriously, Flights to Taipei and Taiwan or Hong Kong is way cheaper than to Laos or Thailand. I am not sure of the exchange rates there, but good luck.

What the? lol. China is completely different from China town.  :D China has plenty to see and experience besides the Great Wall. :) Each province has something unique to offer.

The exchange rate for Taiwan is about $30 TWD to $1 USD. I think for Hong Kong it's about $7 HKD to $1 USD. I forgot to mention that both these places are easy to navigate, especially in Hong Kong since they speak English and the signs are in English as well. Taiwan is harder to navigate outside of Taipei but still doable if you aren't afraid of making a fool of yourself.  :D

And I am not going to either place, at least not for a while. I was just replying to summerberry.  :D

Gawmp

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2012, 08:51:46 AM »
A couple of years ago, I took my frist trip back to Laos. I was pretty antsy about the travel because I was traveling alone, so I read up as much as I can about the country - The Can Do's and the Can Not Do's. Following what I have read, the trip turned out to be an interesting trip. I am planning to go back again in a couple of years to see the other places that I have yet to see.

1) I haven't seen the advice of registering with the US Embassy once you are in the country. If you know where you will be staying and the duration of the stay prior to your entry, it is best to register that itinery with the Consulate's office. This information will help to locate/give a general idea where you were last seen in the event something happens to you, and your family is inquiring the whereabouts of you.

2) Keep handy the Emergency number for the US Embassy. This number should be a 24/7 number where you can reach someone if you need help as a US Citizen. Also, be aware that if you are arrested, you have the right to request the arresting authority to alert the US Embassy and tell them.

3) This may not sound like am important issue, but for me it was. I always carry a bottle of water in my backpack. I know there are vendors selling it, but I get thirsty quick and there's only one brand of water that to me tastes good. I believe there are two brands only and one of the two is just digusting when I drank it.

couchpotato

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2012, 10:07:48 AM »
A couple of years ago, I took my frist trip back to Laos. I was pretty antsy about the travel because I was traveling alone, so I read up as much as I can about the country - The Can Do's and the Can Not Do's. Following what I have read, the trip turned out to be an interesting trip. I am planning to go back again in a couple of years to see the other places that I have yet to see.

1) I haven't seen the advice of registering with the US Embassy once you are in the country. If you know where you will be staying and the duration of the stay prior to your entry, it is best to register that itinery with the Consulate's office. This information will help to locate/give a general idea where you were last seen in the event something happens to you, and your family is inquiring the whereabouts of you.

2) Keep handy the Emergency number for the US Embassy. This number should be a 24/7 number where you can reach someone if you need help as a US Citizen. Also, be aware that if you are arrested, you have the right to request the arresting authority to alert the US Embassy and tell them.

3) This may not sound like am important issue, but for me it was. I always carry a bottle of water in my backpack. I know there are vendors selling it, but I get thirsty quick and there's only one brand of water that to me tastes good. I believe there are two brands only and one of the two is just digusting when I drank it.

That is actually really good advice!  O0

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2012, 11:14:43 AM »
That is actually really good advice!  O0

Gawmp and Couch....

Yes, this is really good advice and I had plan on noting this.. :angryfire: ;) Thanks for stealing my thunder! But Yes... Everyone, PLEASE, PLEASE register with the US Embassy in Vientiane. It is very close to the airport and only takes a few minutes.

US Embassy in Vientiane
Location Laos 19 Rue Bartholonie, That Dam Road, Vientiane, Laos
Hours Mon - Wed: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm  and  1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Thu - Fri: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
Contact Info Phone (856-20-2126 7055; 856 20-2126 7089

Website http://laos.usembassy.gov/index.html

Most older Hmong people don't bother with the process of registering themselves and it is NOT a requirement... But for my own safety and peace of mind, I am going to do this.

Another debate I am having is this... What's your take??? Get a VISA before leaving the USA or get a VISA "ON ARRIVAL". I have heard really good arguements from both sides... prices, convience, peace of mind, ease of applying. The list goes on and on.  Get one here for 50.00 or get one there for 35.00? I have heard arguements from both sides. Inputs welcome.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 11:28:54 AM by LonelyHmgGuy »

Like this post: +1

couchpotato

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2012, 11:24:13 AM »
Gawmp and Couch....

Yes, this is really good advice and I had plan on noting this.. :angryfire: ;) Thanks for stealing my thunder! But Yes... Everyone, PLEASE, PLEASE register with the US Embassy in Vientiane. It is very close to the airport and only takes a few minutes.

US Embassy in Vientiane
Location Laos 19 Rue Bartholonie, That Dam Road, Vientiane, Laos
Hours Mon - Wed: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm  and  1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Thu - Fri: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm and 1:00 am - 5:00 pm
Contact Info Phone (856-21) 26 7055; 26 7089

Website http://laos.usembassy.gov/index.html

Most older Hmong people don't bother with the process of registering themselves and it is NOT a requirement... But for my own safety and peace of mind, I am going to do this.

Another debate I am having is this... What's your take??? Get a VISA before leaving the USA or get a VISA "ON ARRIVAL". I have heard really good arguements from both sides... prices, convience, peace of mind, ease of applying. The list goes on and on.  Get one here for 50.00 or get one there for 35.00? I have heard arguements from both sides. What's your take?

I haven't been to Laos in years.  When I went, we entered from Thailand without any problems. However, my cousin was just in Thailand and she had a terrible experience trying to cross the border.  :-\

Advertisements