Advertisement

Author Topic: What is the story behind Hmong Yang and Tigers?  (Read 13227 times)

caSsadie

What is the story behind Hmong Yang and Tigers?
« on: September 13, 2012, 12:18:07 AM »
a long time ago i was gonna get a tattoo of a tiger on me and my friend says that Yangs and tigers don't mix.  So, i didnt get a tattoo.  But now I am going to get it and i want to know what the big deal is

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
Re: What is the story behind Hmong Yang and Tigers?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 02:59:41 AM »
Your mama is gonna say: niag tsov tom!

Offline saki saki

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 01:03:03 AM »
Your mama is gonna say: niag tsov tom!
LOL Tiger bite..LOL I may not know how to read hmong but I can read that..

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 03:18:51 PM »
I thought it was Vangs and Tigers don't mix, not Yangs and Tigers. Am I missing some info or  is someone else missing some info?

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline saki saki

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 09:41:42 PM »
I thought it was Vangs and Tigers don't mix, not Yangs and Tigers. Am I missing some info or  is someone else missing some info?
No I thought it was the Thao(s)... what about that story bout that hmong dude putting a basket over his head. and he can turn into a TIGER..

chidorix0x

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 02:44:42 PM »
It's been ages when I was told about this, but I believe it is not clan specific.  More so, it has to do with the spoken language - White Hmong versus Green Hmong.  The Green Hmong are "forbidden" to say or speak the words, "Tsuv tum - tiger bite." to/towards another person, especially when angered, agitated, or out of condemnation.  If spoken, that person is "cursed" and will eventually be attacked/killed by a tiger at some point.  That is what I recall or was told.  (Most likely it is just a Hmong/Mong "village/urban legend" is my guess/opinion.)

Offline saki saki

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 12:17:24 PM »
It's been ages when I was told about this, but I believe it is not clan specific.  More so, it has to do with the spoken language - White Hmong versus Green Hmong.  The Green Hmong are "forbidden" to say or speak the words, "Tsuv tum - tiger bite." to/towards another person, especially when angered, agitated, or out of condemnation.  If spoken, that person is "cursed" and will eventually be attacked/killed by a tiger at some point.  That is what I recall or was told.  (Most likely it is just a Hmong/Mong "village/urban legend" is my guess/opinion.)
really. Do you know more of tis story? I would love to hear more.

pajnpis

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 04:50:55 PM »
I heard of it before but it's not the Thao. The only reason why my family (Thao) can't have tiger (stuff animal or pictures) in the house is because back in Lao a tiger kept eating the village animals so my grandpa, his father, and a group of men decided to hunt that tiger. What happen was it bite of my grandpa's dad leg before it die which due to the blood loss and many stops for water, my grandpa's father die on the way home. That's the only reason why no tiger in our house. It's been years that I heard about a certain last name can't say "tsov tom" but can't really recall the story. Ask an og about it.

population1

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 02:44:49 PM »
never heard of it. Yaj thiab tsov is a pretense to zaj thiab tsov where it's a pretext to ab thiab tsov where it's a pretense to Yab'ng thiab yaub which is parallel to zaj'ng thiab saub. it's a long story. ever heard of 'Dreaming of Dear and Cauldron'? and why there is the Yellow River and why there is Yin & Yang? ever watched nature shows? or kooj fwv (kung fu/gong fu) with tiger-swims-in-dragon-lake/river stance/style/form or dragon-swallows-tiger-whole stance/style/form? exactly. anyhow, I've only heard of tiger stories associated with peb hmoob Lauj.

proudlao

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 06:28:29 AM »
I heard something similar but it wasn't pertaining to any clan. What is it about a string on the ankle?

Great Sage

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 04:23:17 PM »
You think it's just Hmong Yang? As far as I know, every clan says it's another clan!  :2funny: :2funny:

reAP

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 04:28:01 PM »

If only this was true...

Offline saki saki

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 08:25:02 PM »
LOL ever since I started to read these BS stuff I started to say that every time I go bowl and my buddies runs up when I'm about to throw my ballz down the lane...

(DAM IT  JAY MOUA, TIGER BITE DOG).LOL

Advertisements