Advertisement

Author Topic: Creating Phone Apps  (Read 3473 times)

Offline luvlylisa

• Elite Poster
  • ...luv me or hate me...
  • Respect: +267
    • View Profile
Creating Phone Apps
« on: September 18, 2012, 04:21:27 PM »
...does anyone know how to create phone apps?  I'm trying to create one for work.  Is there a program that I should or could look into that's reasonable and easy to set up?  Anyone know? 

Any help is good....thanks in advance.

Like this post: 0
可爱的丽莎。。。爱我还是恨我

Adverstisement

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
Re: Creating Phone Apps
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 05:04:56 PM »
...does anyone know how to create phone apps?  I'm trying to create one for work.  Is there a program that I should or could look into that's reasonable and easy to set up?  Anyone know? 

Any help is good....thanks in advance.

You need a mac and Xcode and yes an iphone.
Then grab a book on app development for iphone. 

eden

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 05:44:09 PM »
Last year my brother decided that he would make the most awesome phone app and make millions off it so he read a manual about how to make phone apps for Android. I think he finished the book but I never saw an app created.... I think it's because he was waiting for me to come up with an idea, LOL... which I never did.

Good luck though  O0

p.s. sorry my post was so useless, hehe.

Offline luvlylisa

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 06:41:08 PM »
You need a mac and Xcode and yes an iphone.
Then grab a book on app development for iphone. 
I personally have an iphone but we don't have macs here at the office nor do i have one at home.  :-\

That's a vague question. First off, what phone platform are we talking about? Windows mobile? Windows phone? iOS? Android? Blackberry?

After you answer that, then you'll know more of what language you'll need to know/learn in order to program mobile apps. Programming isn't easy... and if you have no programming background at all, it will be a long process to learn.
well, obviously i haven't a clue about such things.  this app is for future applicants and current students and their parents to have better access to us n r services (especially since kids these days r always on their phone n fb).  though i have an iphone not all of our staff have iphones nor do r students n their parents/families.  i dunno all the phone or tech lingo but most would have smart phones or andriods.  sorry if that doesn't help or is still too vague.  :(

Last year my brother decided that he would make the most awesome phone app and make millions off it so he read a manual about how to make phone apps for Android. I think he finished the book but I never saw an app created.... I think it's because he was waiting for me to come up with an idea, LOL... which I never did.

Good luck though  O0

p.s. sorry my post was so useless, hehe.
useless or not thanks for the input! I appreciate it!  I have a feeling taking on this project was more than I could chew....at least my boss and i r both working on it.  she has the slightest clue on this stuff as well....so i'm reaching out in all areas possible.

可爱的丽莎。。。爱我还是恨我

Offline luvlylisa

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 09:07:12 PM »
luvlylisa, from the sounds of it, you will need to hire someone to do it (unless you have programmers in your company). It sounds like a large project. I'm thinking the best way to attack it is to just make a web site, tailored towards mobile devices. That way, you make one site and it supports any mobile device that has web browsing capabilities. If you were to create a custom app for each type of smart phone out there, that would take longer and cost a ton more.

So my suggestion would be to figure out a budget, and hire a web development company to do a site that is mobile friendly.
well that's sad 2 know. Guess we'll b sticking 2 fb since we already have a group page 4 r student n families n if not all many of them use it on a daily basis....wheth er it b on the phone or not.

可爱的丽莎。。。爱我还是恨我

Offline darkhelmet

• Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 09:23:28 PM »
lisa, i don't think you need an app.  although phone apps are all the rage now, it isn't for everyone.  you should go with a mobile site or a responsive site.

creating an app is a lot of work, even for someone that has a programming or web development background.  if you want to create an app for iphone or ipad, first thing you need is a mac and an apple developers license.

if you already have a company site, i would suggest a responsive site.  this will cater to both desktop and mobile users.  if you already have an existing site, you could create a mobile site.

with a mobile site, later down the road, you can convert it to a phone app using a wrapper like phonegap.

I made you read this.

Offline luvlylisa

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 09:36:47 PM »
lisa, i don't think you need an app.  although phone apps are all the rage now, it isn't for everyone.  you should go with a mobile site or a responsive site.

creating an app is a lot of work, even for someone that has a programming or web development background.  if you want to create an app for iphone or ipad, first thing you need is a mac and an apple developers license.

if you already have a company site, i would suggest a responsive site.  this will cater to both desktop and mobile users.  if you already have an existing site, you could create a mobile site.

with a mobile site, later down the road, you can convert it to a phone app using a wrapper like phonegap.
ok good to know but what is a mobile site? Please enlighten me as i haven't a clue what ya'll referring to.

可爱的丽莎。。。爱我还是恨我

Offline luvlylisa

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 11:47:41 AM »
As I said, it's just a website that is formatted for mobile friendly resolutions. Example, an iphone viewing a normal (desktop) website, the page would be too big, so you'd have to zoom in to click buttons and read text, etc. A mobile site is the same website, but formatted in a way where buttons are easy to click/press and text are easy to read without the user having to zoom in and out.

If you view facebook from your computer/laptop, you get the desktop version. If you view facebook from your phone's browser, you will get a mobile version of the website. So it's just basically a website, formatted for mobile device's resolutions.
ok i think that is what i meant...perhap s not a phone app but a mobile site. Maybe my lack of tech lingo has the terms mixed up. I dunno.

So the next question is...how would i go about creating a mobile site?

可爱的丽莎。。。爱我还是恨我

Offline luvlylisa

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 05:06:03 PM »
Well, it's still gonna be a difficult task. First off, you have to find a place to host your website. Secondly, you have to actually design a website. If you're not too artistic, then that's an issue too. Cause if your website isn't pleasing to the eyes, people won't come back to it. Thirdly, if you're going to want people to interact with it, say like search for things or check out a calender or sign up for an account, then you will have to not only design the website, but program it also. There are software solutions out there, like for instance, wordpress is a nice blogging/content management software package, where you can just install and customize it. But of course, you'd have to learn how to use wordpress. Anyways, what I'm getting at is... it's too complicated, and you'd have to hire people who actually know what they're doing.

Good luck!

Oh.. and here is a website that gives you some tips on how to make your website more mobile friendly.

http://www.noupe.com/how-tos/tutorials-for-making-your-website-mobile-friendly.html

But that's a moot point if you don't have a website up already. You need that first.
Actually, we have a website.  We're housed under the University here....so check. 

My boss wants an app as many of r students/families don't utilize the site as much (and instead rely on us telling/feeding info verbally or resort to us posting things on r FB page--and still they miss important info) so thinking a simple phone app would be nice so they can check the calendar and updates or important info/reminders.  I think that's what we're trying to do/get.  Am I making any sense?  Sorry if I'm not.

可爱的丽莎。。。爱我还是恨我

Offline luvlylisa

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 09:04:09 PM »
You are, but as I have said. It's not a simple task. Since you guys already have a website up, then just make sure to have your boss request that your website be mobile friendly. But then you bring up an important fact, and that is that your website is already there, and the students still don't check. Well, having a mobile site, will just be the same thing, they have to take the initiative to check it. A mobile app would produce the same results, meaning even if you have an app, the students will still have to take the time to check it. The best way might not to make apps or websites, but to put important information on there, and force them to check it.
*big sigh*  OK, thanks for the help.  I'll see what my boss says.

可爱的丽莎。。。爱我还是恨我

Offline Toua

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 11:06:49 PM »
just create a mobile version of the website. Faster and easier.. Creating a phone app is not easy.. if you aren't even familiar with the most basic programming language, you won't get the job done..

Never risk your life for those who will not do the same...

Advertisements