Advertisement

Author Topic: College majors?  (Read 8769 times)

PRINCESS.

Re: College majors?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 05:52:58 PM »
^ I know a little bit of code. Coding school of AsianAvenue represent!

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Sleipnir

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 03:38:48 PM »
How do you science majors get a job after graduating? From researching job ads, they're always asking for a high degree (masters or Ph) and several years of experience. I know you can do interning and volunteer stuff but then most jobs will require paid experiences. It's one of the tough job market majors. People just end up being teachers.

it's different for everyone.  I came in through a temp agency and scored a 1 year contract doing grunt work... and quickly moved into a perm position in 5 months and have been fully employed for 6 years and promoted twice to Sr. level  and jumping paybands...   hopefully Pr. soon.

I might dabble in start up medical device for a bit, but we'll see.  I just keep hearing stories of the $ at start ups.... :P

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 03:44:20 PM by Sleipnir »

VIP_0717

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013, 01:07:27 PM »
Business Information System

King_Kong

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 07:18:45 AM »
How do you science majors get a job after graduating? From researching job ads, they're always asking for a high degree (masters or Ph) and several years of experience. I know you can do interning and volunteer stuff but then most jobs will require paid experiences. It's one of the tough job market majors. People just end up being teachers.
People are different. I for example, study science because I'm going into the medical field. I don't enjoy studying science, I don't enjoy going to school, but I must do what I have to do to obtain my goal(s) and ambitions. Besides when my kids start higher education, I can lend them a hand.

Keep in mind, just because we have a science degree; doesn't necessary means we will all be in a career that requires research. The degree is just what it is: a piece of paper. What matters is the time and effort was dedicated to obtain the paper, and that is what any kind of employer(s) will be looking for: dedication and effort.

Missterious

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2013, 04:31:05 AM »
it's different for everyone.  I came in through a temp agency and scored a 1 year contract doing grunt work... and quickly moved into a perm position in 5 months and have been fully employed for 6 years and promoted twice to Sr. level  and jumping paybands...   hopefully Pr. soon.

I might dabble in start up medical device for a bit, but we'll see.  I just keep hearing stories of the $ at start ups.... :P

Luck is def on your side.

People are different. I for example, study science because I'm going into the medical field. I don't enjoy studying science, I don't enjoy going to school, but I must do what I have to do to obtain my goal(s) and ambitions. Besides when my kids start higher education, I can lend them a hand.

Keep in mind, just because we have a science degree; doesn't necessary means we will all be in a career that requires research. The degree is just what it is: a piece of paper. What matters is the time and effort was dedicated to obtain the paper, and that is what any kind of employer(s) will be looking for: dedication and effort.
You're right. Not everyone goes into their a job of their major anyways.

But I still don't know what I want to major in.  :-\ I go through phases of what I might want to major in and it's just giving me a headache.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 04:49:17 AM by Missterious »

XeempovVwj

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 12:39:22 PM »
Bachelor of Arts - Double-majored: Zoology and Biological Aspects of Conservation
Master of Science - Environmental Science and Policy with emphasis in Ecosystem Studies
PhD (going on my 4th year and is currently considered a PhD candidate or PhD dissertator) - Geography People/Environment Relationship with a PhD minor in Conservation Biology and Sustainable Development.

Gonna save the world...not the whole world...only what I feel are worth saving.

Like this post: +1

Advertisements