Advertisement

Author Topic: Help Preventing Home Invasion/Break Ins.  (Read 3686 times)

sacleads

Help Preventing Home Invasion/Break Ins.
« on: January 17, 2013, 05:04:02 PM »
I often see people wasting lots and lots of money buying 3 yr alarm contracts and thousands of dollars on high end security camera system thinking it will make them safe.  Unfortnately, by time your alarm company contact the cops and they get there, your items are already LONG GONE or you would already be shot dead.  Remember, it takes time for the cops to get there.  They don't magically appear in seconds.  Having a security camera will only let the theives know that before they enter, wear a mask.  Yeah, that will really help :2funny: :2funny: :idiot2:

Despite living in a good neighborhood, I still beef up my house in the case of a home invasion.  I make sure that it if they chose to break into my house, it will take them a long, long time to get in.  And to get in, it requires a lot of noises and a lot of work.  By that time, I would already called the cops, go to a secure area and will be heavily armed for  :knuppel2: :knuppel2:

Most of the things I bought can easily be bought at Home Depot, Ebay, or Amazon.  Read the reviews and see if it's something you want to use.  Like I said, I live in a good neighborhood but it's better to be safe than sorry.  It's not like rich areas are immune to home invasions...He aven knows, I've read plenty of horrific deaths, rapes and all those victims thought since they live in a good rich area, they are safe.

Security experts says that it you want to make your house harder to break-in than your neighbors.  It's better them than you right?  I know this is messed up but would you rather have your family members raped, killed, robbed or your neighbors?

Your environment:  Trim your large bushes.  Lock your fences, doors, garages.  Installed sensor lights.  I saw this guy on youtube planted thorny rose bushes next to all his windows.  If you been around roses, you know they have a lot of thorns.  People aren't willing to climb over them bushes to break a window.

Signs:

1: I bought from ebay "securtiy signs and stickers" and have it around my house.  Regardless if I have security with that company or not.  Don't go buying some no name signs.  Stick with signs from security companies that people are fimilar in your area.

2: Buy sign "Beware of Dogs" and post on your fence and window that faces the front of the house.

Alarm:

You can buy "Do It Yourself" alarms on Ebay.  It comes with motion sensors, door and window alarms just like your local alarm but you don't have someone calling you, it will be an automated system that you set up to call you.  No monthly fees.  Results varies.  I tried one but it was too faulty so I ended up just buying Motion Sensors that will call me or go off when someone is moving around in the house when no one is suppose to be there like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Dialer-Security-Safety-Alarm/dp/B000WHRVLC/ref=sr_1_87?ie=UTF8&qid=1358458929&sr=8-87&keywords=motion+detector+alarm

I have these things set to ON around the house when I'm not home or when I'm sleeping.  If this thing goes off. I'm ready to lock and load if I'm asleep.  If not home, it'll dial  my phone letting me know there is movement in the house.

You can buy window glass shattering sensors on ebay, amazon as well but they are very sensitives and would only be useful when there is no wind.  Wind motions the window, which triggers the window alarm to go off.  Not something you want to go off on a windy, raining night.

Securing your Windows and Door:

Windows:

To make your windows harder to break, you will need to install "Window Films".  Some works better than others.  If someone tries to break your window.  The glass will shattered and be stuck on the films.  It won't just shatter all over the floor, providing easy access to your home.  If you install "Security Window Films", many times, a baseball bat won't even break the glass.  Making it much, much harder to get in.  By that time, they rather move on to your neighbors. 

These "Window Films" are cheap to expensive and can be purchased in large portion at homedepot.com, amazon, and various retailers.  It have different shades as well.  It is easy to install yourself, better with 2 people.  I used the Gila brand.  They aren't "Security Films" so the glass will break when some uses a baseball to it...but the glass won't shattered all over the floor.  They will have to work on it for it if they want to get in.  By that time, the alarms will sound off and notify me.

Lock windows and go to Home Depot and buy some buy some nice wood sticks.  Measure your window and cut those sticks accordingly.  Having double secured your windows is double the work for theives.  Do the same for your Sliding glass Door in the backyard  (I used the bigger wood sticks for the sliding glass door).  The Sliding glass door is one of the LEAST SECURE DOOR in your house. Some recquires a few shakes and the sliding glass door locks pops open.

Doors:

Unfortunately, Windows AREN'T the main choice when breaking into a house.  Yeah, it's actually the DOOR.  Did you know that most house doors are screw in with a 1" to 1.5" screw?  Those screws are too short to properly secure the door.  Most adults can kick open a door in a minute or less. 

First thing I installed is a steel security door that you can buy at homedepot.  Now, these steal doors aren't fool proof, it can easy be pry open with a crow bar, no matter how expensive that security steel door is.  But it is just another step for home invaders.  Remember, the more step, the higher the odds they moved on to someone else.

Next, I beef up my regular doors.  Just don't beef up your front doors and ignore the other entery doors such as the side one that leads from your backyard to the garage.  And also secure the garage door that leads into the house.

What is recquired to beef up your doors, preventing a door being kick open:
All these can be bought at homedepot.

-Three inch screws-I bought a case.  It will be use to replace all the 1 inch screws.  When I mean all screws. I'm talking about all.  Not just the screws that are hold your door nobs and deadlock.  I also replaced the screws that was holding the door.

-Strike Plates.  It varies depending on varies factors.  I got these:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100183376/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=strike+plate&storeId=10051

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100575127/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=strike+plate&storeId=10051

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100155886/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=strike+plate&storeId=10051

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100205418/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=strike+plate&storeId=10051

I bought these to reinforce the deadbolt to withstand the kicking:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/Search?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&keyword=door%20reinforcer&Ns=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1&selectedCatgry=Search+All

Do your measurements and pick what fits.  You will need a power drill to drill screw hole deep enough to install the new 3'inch screws.

Additional Door security.  I don't have these installed but found it pretty cool:

http://www.amazon.com/Invasions-Burglars-OnGARD-Withstands-Nightlock/dp/B0044EF1GQ/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1358462022&sr=8-10&keywords=door+kick+guard

http://www.amazon.com/The-Club-20CA-Door/dp/B000L9T718/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1358462254&sr=8-10&keywords=door+security

Have you heard of Key Bumping?  It is an easy way of people bumping your door locks and opening your door lock.  They have tons and tons of video on youtube teaching people to key bump that even kids can key bump and get inside your house.  Just google Key bumping.  Just pray that a serial rapist is not in your neighborhood who just finish watching youtube and decides he wants to test it on your house.

This is what people used to prevent Key Bumping:
http://www.amazon.com/Lock-Jaw-Security-1001-Polished/dp/B000RZQAPM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1358462496&sr=8-6&keywords=door+security

Look at how the pictures amazon shows: There is a HUGE FLAW on installing this Lock Jaw Anti-key bump device this way.  As you can see, if your whole family happen to leave the house and lock your door, this Lock Jaw can drop and prevent you from EVER OPENNING YOUR DOORS AGAIN.  What you need to do is re-install your DEADBOLT locks and RE-POSITION the deadbolt lock handle .  You need to re-Position that deadlock handle nob from goint UP/DOWN to RIGHT/LEFT (in lock mode).  After you adjust the handle nob to RIGHT/LEFT (when in locking mode), you can just install the Lock Jaw on the right of the dead bolt.  Now you'll never have to worry that the Lock Job ever dropping and locking yourself out.

It is also important to have a safe room.  A secure room that will always have a cell phone.  Weapons.  A reinforced door with strike plates.  Teach your children, this is where they need to be when they hear loud noises, someone kicking in the door, window, when alarms going off.

Okay, this looks like it's a lot of work but it actually isn't that much work, especially if you just do it as a weekend project.  I slowly purchased and installed these stuff over a long period of time.  I'm I overcautious?  Hell yeah!  But I rather be than have my love ones dead or rape.  If any of those victims can turn back time and do what I did and prevent their own demise, would they do it?  You betcha!

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
Re: Help Preventing Home Invasion/Break Ins.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 06:42:28 PM »
Maybe big city but not where I am.  I know I wasted money for that home security and 3  year contract and hardly used it but ...........  One weekend we came home I went inside the house to disarmed the alarm and the key got jammed so it send off message and alert.  It only took 2 min. the most and a police car was outside my house 2 house away when we was still taking stuffs out of the car from the trip.  My husband told the cop it was nothing and that the keypad just got jammed. 

I would have to read through your post tonight to get some advice. 

Mr.Crowley

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 03:58:32 PM »
Good info... O0

Wi_sweetguy

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 02:02:40 PM »
My cheap uncle can probbaly get one of those since he lives in a danger zone with ka-dukes. His house was burgalized three times, but he is still too cheap to get security or those stuff you post up.  The cop recommended all of those, but guessed his cheapness is not helping him.

Mr.Crowley

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 01:22:01 PM »
My cheap uncle can probbaly get one of those since he lives in a danger zone with ka-dukes. His house was burgalized three times, but he is still too cheap to get security or those stuff you post up.  The cop recommended all of those, but guessed his cheapness is not helping him.

Your uncle should just move.

yuknowthat

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 08:29:12 AM »

it's okay my sons will get the job done for me...they never leave my side unless i'm away from home and they're in a bolted down to the floor gun safe..

CherryVaj

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 12:25:27 PM »
Thanks for suggestions!

Wi_sweetguy

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 04:07:33 PM »
Your uncle should just move.

My uncle is too cheap to move that's why he bought the house in the first place.  He bought it for 10 K, it was a fixer, but his mom paid most of it.  He never drove his 2001 tundra anywhere, not even fishing or hunting.  Always with others and do not pitch in for gas.  His tundra is at 54K.  Amazing huh?  Well he's so cheap that cheap won't even like him.  Very cheap, but money is sent to Laos N/P.  :idiot2: :idiot2:

yayableu

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 04:46:16 PM »
i just wanted a great dane to guard my house : (

sacleads

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 01:06:35 AM »
i just wanted a great dane to guard my house : (

Just don't train your dog to be too friendly.  LOL.  Just saw on local news not too long ago about people using their dogs to guard their house.  LOL.  ALL the dogs they tested were all barks.  Once the stranger got in the house, ALL those dogs were greating, tail wagging, azz kissing.  The biggest azz kissers were the big dogs :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

IB THIAB NEEJ

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 04:42:03 AM »
Just don't train your dog to be too friendly.  LOL.  Just saw on local news not too long ago about people using their dogs to guard their house.  LOL.  ALL the dogs they tested were all barks.  Once the stranger got in the house, ALL those dogs were greating, tail wagging, azz kissing.  The biggest azz kissers were the big dogs :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:
That's the whole point of a dog, to bark and alert you or the neighbors. You don't want a dog that will eat your kids.

Advertisements