Advertisement

Author Topic: How much does it cost to replace a roof?  (Read 7149 times)

Offline Mrs.Vang

• Board Moderator
  • "The only ugly faces, are the ones we make."
  • Respect: +126
    • View Profile
How much does it cost to replace a roof?
« on: January 23, 2013, 09:05:18 PM »
I need to get mine done this summer. :( 

Contractors - any recommendation s?  Do I need someone who has a license in roofing?

Like this post: 0
"Some people, no matter how old they get, never lose their beauty - they merely move it from their faces into their hearts."<br /><br />

Adverstisement

laib_laus

Re: How much does it cost to replace a roof?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 09:21:33 PM »
Mrs. Vang, the cost of replacing a roof depends on what type of house you have and how big is your house. I had mine done couple years ago because of storm damage and cost over $22k. Since I went through my homeowner insurance for storm damage I only pay my $1k deductible xwb. This included my house, attach 3 car garages and shed. Plus my house is also a 2 story house too.

Yes, you can do it yourself for a cheaper price because you’re doing all the labor and if your house is smaller the mine; it would be cheaper as well. For a rambler/ranch home at 2k square feet house, if you do if yourself it would cost between 2-4k xwb no including manual labor. What you have to do is, pay for a permit with the city you live in, once you’re finish with your new roof, call the city, they'll re-inspect the roof and you are set.

If you hire a contractor, they will pull the permit for the roof replacement and you wouldn't have to do anything. For most contractors, you have to pay half up front. When they finish the job, it must be paid in full.

I hope this helps.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:27:11 PM by laib_laus »

Offline Mrs.Vang

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 10:18:14 PM »
Mrs. Vang, the cost of replacing a roof depends on what type of house you have and how big is your house. I had mine done couple years ago because of storm damage and cost over $22k. Since I went through my homeowner insurance for storm damage I only pay my $1k deductible xwb. This included my house, attach 3 car garages and shed. Plus my house is also a 2 story house too.

Yes, you can do it yourself for a cheaper price because you’re doing all the labor and if your house is smaller the mine; it would be cheaper as well. For a rambler/ranch home at 2k square feet house, if you do if yourself it would cost between 2-4k xwb no including manual labor. What you have to do is, pay for a permit with the city you live in, once you’re finish with your new roof, call the city, they'll re-inspect the roof and you are set.

If you hire a contractor, they will pull the permit for the roof replacement and you wouldn't have to do anything. For most contractors, you have to pay half up front. When they finish the job, it must be paid in full.

I hope this helps.

Oh wow!  That's expensive!  My house isn't that big.  It's a two story, though, and yes, the garage has to be done too.  I'm thinking about getting some MEV to do it for cheaper labor. 

So, the city will re-inspect my roof for me at no cost? Or is there a fee?  How long does the process take?  I need to get it done by August.  Should I start now?  I don't want to procrastinate. .. you know what I mean? :)

Thanks for the tips, Laib_Laus.  I'm going to start looking around for people who can do the job at a more reasonable labor cost. :)

"Some people, no matter how old they get, never lose their beauty - they merely move it from their faces into their hearts."<br /><br />

laib_laus

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 11:06:41 PM »

Oh wow!  That's expensive!  My house isn't that big.  It's a two story, though, and yes, the garage has to be done too.  I'm thinking about getting some MEV to do it for cheaper labor. 

So, the city will re-inspect my roof for me at no cost? Or is there a fee?  How long does the process take?  I need to get it done by August.  Should I start now?  I don't want to procrastinate. .. you know what I mean? :)

Thanks for the tips, Laib_Laus.  I'm going to start looking around for people who can do the job at a more reasonable labor cost. :)

Mrs. Vang, yes, mine was expensive because it’s a big house and a 2 story house will cost a little bit more.

If you hire a contractor, they will do all the work and pull the permit with the city, everything including the entire fee should be in your estimate, even the permit fee.  No, if you’re doing it yourself, than you will have to pull the permit with the city. But if you do decide to do it yourself than yes, you will have to pull the permit with the city.

The process shouldn’t take long and can start in the spring or summer. Whether you pull the permit or your contractor does, the city will issue the permit once the fee has been paid. The permit must be post on your property, more like from inside the house facing to the outside. To replace the roof should take no more than couple days or couple weekends, again depending of the size of your house. Mine take one week because of the size. You should have no problem getting done before August depending when you start the process. I did my in October with no snow fall yet.

MilesDaddy

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 04:47:38 AM »
You could get lucky. Depending on what type of roof you have they might be able to go right over the existing one. My roof looks like pieces of sandpaper. Here in California you can have up to 3 layers before it all must be ripped off and started over. I think it will all depend On factors like this and the laws in Your town. Good Luck.

aboo

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 03:54:31 PM »
Mrs. Vang - the city you live in is very particular about pulling permits.  PLUS with so many bad contractors now in that city, you need to have your contractor cleared too, that's a plus for you to ensure they don't do a half azz job and leave the rest to you.

if your roof has any slopes (i forgot the term) such as a cape cod style home, you will pay extra for that above it being a 2 story.  the cost also depends on they type of shingles that will create a architectural or Flat effect.  i really loved the architectural design shingles but it cost twice as much and given the fact i wasn't going to live in my home i went with the regular flat effect which is what you normally see around in your area.

i recommend you get your roof done early spring - there are less roofing job requests (plus roofers need income) so your bids will be lower than if you decide to do it during the popular rush season such as summer.

shesaid

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 03:57:48 PM »
I have a cousin up there who can  do it or point you in the right direction. Lmk if you're interested.

Peaches

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 12:35:42 PM »
I had my roof replaced 8 years ago and it cost $18 grand, but because it was from a storm damage
my home insurance paid for most while I paid the deductible which was $500. I would suggest getting several estimates done to compare prices and see what you'll be getting charged for......ie: parts, labors, removal, disposal

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 03:39:45 PM »
I had my roof replaced 8 years ago and it cost $18 grand, but because it was from a storm damage
my home insurance paid for most while I paid the deductible which was $500. I would suggest getting several estimates done to compare prices and see what you'll be getting charged for......ie: parts, labors, removal, disposal

CA home insurance seem like a waste of money because the weather and living condition is not like where you guy are........... .... I think were going to cancel our home insurance once it is up this March. 

You and Laib Laus really did save money on the roof with home insurance. 

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 03:45:14 PM »
You could get lucky. Depending on what type of roof you have they might be able to go right over the existing one. My roof looks like pieces of sandpaper. Here in California you can have up to 3 layers before it all must be ripped off and started over. I think it will all depend On factors like this and the laws in Your town. Good Luck.

That kind of roofing scared me sometime because of all the green mold or stuffs that has been build over the years from rain or probably just too old that they never replaced them.  I heard those sandpaper are good for 15 years. 

Do you think going over it just to make it 3 layers the most is good?  I think I would be more concerned about what is builted underneath it vs. thinking it is a lazy job to rip it out and just staple another layer of sandpaper over. 

Offline Mrs.Vang

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 07:42:25 PM »
OMG, seems like it could be a pain in the butt with the permit, contractors, money and all.  I'm not looking forward to this. :(  I should just sell my house and buy a new one.

Thanks, everyone, for being so helpful.  I will let you know what I decide to do and how much it costs me.

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 01:40:29 PM »
I had my roof done this past summer.  I had two different contractors came out for free assessment.  Since we had a storm in the area recently and were missing 2 or more shingles, insurance paid for all of it.  My share of the expense is less than 3K.  It was a little bit higher than my deductible limit because the total expense went overboard. 

I'm currently working on repairing my pool.  When that is done, I'm working on replacing all the windows.  Some projects, you can do it yourself, but the roof, that is something I didn't trust to do it without insurance.

My roof look so scary and dangerous to climb or how does the home inspector even get to the top and said it look good by the time we arrived for inspection that day and he said he already check it and need to check the inside.

Wi_sweetguy

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 02:04:42 PM »
My house passed home inspection, but now the city inspectors cited me for painting the front concrete steps red and my roof needs to get fix soon. My contractors told me I have atleast 2  years left. Hate controlling city freaks.  I see other houses that are worst, but I have to fix mine. haha..

ztommyx

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 12:32:11 PM »
confusing question.

you want your whole roof replace or just the shingles?

for shingles it wouldn't cost more than a grand.
if your hubby have a couple friends, grab some beers and a few 5 buck pizzas, they can do it in a day.  O0

all you need are shingles, hammers, nails and razor knife (hmong knife works too).

oh.. and no need for permit to do shingles.

aboo

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 12:47:56 PM »
law abiding citizens like Mrs. Vang will definitely need to get a permit where she lives ;)

Advertisements