Advertisement

Author Topic: replace the old router?  (Read 1357 times)

Wi_sweetguy

replace the old router?
« on: February 11, 2013, 02:36:44 PM »
I have standard internet on a wireless router from Belkin.  This is a N360 or 300 the lowest standard router since I am right next to the router.  My problem is that this router is 6 yrs old and the signal isn't strong enough.  Even though I am the only user, the signal is strong in my room than  in the living room where the router is.  My room is only 10 feet away from the router.  Is it my router? Should I get a higher router like 600 or 900.  Is it time to replace my old router?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
Re: replace the old router?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 08:47:35 AM »
Signal is stronger in your room?  Are you testing this with the same laptop? If you are using two different devices, like computer in living room and a different computer in the bedroom and detecting different signal strength, then it's more likely due to the difference in the wifi cards in the systems, not your wap.

JimmyNeutron

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 09:53:15 AM »
Don't waste your money until you know what type of interference you are getting. For all we know, your living room could be filled with 10000000000000 AP or nearby creating a lot of noises.  Find a wireless scanner and figure out what channels each AP are using and avoid those channels.  In addition, your home walls, materials of the walls, etc... can be interfering also.  And AP aren't the only source operating in the 2.5 or 5GHz freq.

Reminds me of the old days.  Everyone has the 900MHz cordless phones and then your signal sucks.  They all move to 2.4GHz.  Then everyone moves and it sucks.  Then 5GHz and soon everyone goes there too.  Now that everyone is on 2 or 5GHz, put back your 900 and you have less interference.

Personally, I always find better interop when using the same wifi chipset in both my router and laptop; usually Atheros or Broadcom.

just_that_guy

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 01:27:18 PM »
Don't waste your money until you know what type of interference you are getting. For all we know, your living room could be filled with 10000000000000 AP or nearby creating a lot of noises.  Find a wireless scanner and figure out what channels each AP are using and avoid those channels.  In addition, your home walls, materials of the walls, etc... can be interfering also.  And AP aren't the only source operating in the 2.5 or 5GHz freq.

Reminds me of the old days.  Everyone has the 900MHz cordless phones and then your signal sucks.  They all move to 2.4GHz.  Then everyone moves and it sucks.  Then 5GHz and soon everyone goes there too.  Now that everyone is on 2 or 5GHz, put back your 900 and you have less interference.

Personally, I always find better interop when using the same wifi chipset in both my router and laptop; usually Atheros or Broadcom.

Try changing the wireless signal channel and test the wireless bandwidth.  Tedious but it helps to figure out what wireless channel your neighborhood is using.  Hop on the channel where no one is on for least interference.

Advertisements