Advertisement

Author Topic: Cost of remodeling a kitchen?  (Read 5360 times)

IsaacsLove

Cost of remodeling a kitchen?
« on: February 15, 2013, 12:56:28 AM »
Does anyone know the cost of remodeling a kitchen that is 10X20? this includes the dinning area too.

We want to gut out the kitchen and put new cabinets, new dish washer, new sink,  a new countertops (maybe granite?). With the current countertop layout, it is not big so I would think it wouldn't cost much for granite, and lastly new flooring. The flooring doesn't have to be high end..just something that can easily be clean but tasteful in style.

Can this be done under 6k?

My cousin did her kitchen and it cost her 10k, and their kitchen is half the side of ours, but that also included granite counters and new  gasline stove top, and new steel fridge. She and her husband remodel the kitchen themselves, except the granite counter which professional had to come and installed it.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

keno

Re: Cost of remodeling a kitchen?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 08:10:19 AM »
Does anyone know the cost of remodeling a kitchen that is 10X20? this includes the dinning area too.

We want to gut out the kitchen and put new cabinets, new dish washer, new sink,  a new countertops (maybe granite?). With the current countertop layout, it is not big so I would think it wouldn't cost much for granite, and lastly new flooring. The flooring doesn't have to be high end..just something that can easily be clean but tasteful in style.

My cousin did her kitchen and it cost her 10k, and their kitchen is half the side of ours, but that also included granite counters and new  gasline stove top, and new steel fridge. She and her husband remodel the kitchen themselves, except the granite counter which professional had to come and installed it.

bro, do you mind talk to someone I know he is a hmong brother, has done kitcken remodeling and office spaces in stpl, mn for many hmong family. If you want I will give you his cell and you can talk to him and have him comes over give you an estimate.

Thank.

Offline Fancee

• Global Moderator
  • Shine bright like a diamond
  • Respect: +340
    • View Profile
    • First Financial Security Senior Associate
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 08:45:33 AM »
If you hire some contractors to do it, it will cost you an arm and leg ... and that's just for labor.  You'll have to spend even more on the materials.
If you do it yourself, you can save yourself a lot of trouble and money.  You'll just need to buy the materials.
I think $6k is reasonable for a "do-it-yourself" project.

Life insurance with living benefits.
Life insurance with a savings plan.
http://clients.firsfinancialsecurity.com/WF1700

PebHmoobUnited

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 09:25:16 AM »
remodeling a kitchen is SUCH EASY work....just need time and money.  Where are you from? I could help get you started on how to install the floor and then the cabinets and trims......SIM PLE!!!

aboo

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 10:33:30 AM »

it's possible....if you do most of the work yourself.  my brother does this kind of work, so...your looking at numbers like this...

$1-2k cabinets (depends on what you need) from the close out cabinets store
$500 - dishwasher
$250 - sink
$100 - sink fixtures
$??? - granite counters
$200 - flooring ( if you use the cheapest laminate wood planks from Home Depot - you'll need at least 198 sqft for a 10x20 room, they run at $.99/per sq.ft.)
$200-subfloor materials

that still leaves you with plenty of money to decide on which materials/appliances to upgrade or downgrade....n ot to mention to put towards your granite counters O0

Like this post: +1

IsaacsLove

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 11:19:46 AM »
Thanks for the input guys! I don't live in MN, but in WI. :( My husband and I want to redo our kitchen but we are not handy people and I'm too afraid to start a do-it-yourself project if we are not handy people, but i don't want to hire a contractor either. Maybe someone who is experience but does it for a living on the side or something to at least guide us/????? still deciding. What I don't want is to spend 10k-15k to remodel including labor for a professional to do such  a small kitchen.

For flooring I want tile but not the expensive kind. Our home is small and I don't need the highest quaility of materials because it won't fit in with the size and style of the house.

WindComeWindBlow

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 11:24:32 AM »
You want to hire someone to do the floor. 

aboo

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 11:36:06 AM »
What I don't want is to spend 10k-15k to remodel including labor for a professional to do such  a small kitchen.

For flooring I want tile but not the expensive kind. Our home is small and I don't need the highest quaility of materials because it won't fit in with the size and style of the house.

You can PM me for more info.  You are ahead of the game already by knowing that your home is small and you just want an updated kitchen not necessarily the 'WOW' factore.

With that in mind, you can certaintly do it for 6-8k.  My other thoughts would be that you think about the resale value of your home, unless you plan to NEVER sell it then it doesn't matter. 

Are you set on granite? You can get a higher quality counter top that isn't granite that could also lower your costs too...somethin g to think about. 

For an example:  low quality flooring, cheaper sink ($56) cheaper faucets ($50) surrounded by granite counter tops.....

aboo

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 11:41:48 AM »
i forgot to mention about your tile floors.

go check your sub floor to make sure it's still nice and intact.  it's going to cost you more money if it's now workable to add tiles on top.
you can buy discounted tiles in bulk at various home improvement outlets. since it's going to be the kitchen/dining - get a more durable one designed for those areas and not for a bathroom even if you are so inlove with the color because those two areas are a bit more high traffic.

NOTE: always but a little more tile than you need because some could get damaged during the installation process....las t thing you need is to be short of 3 tiles somewhere in your room after installing them.

IsaacsLove

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 12:22:31 PM »
You can PM me for more info.  You are ahead of the game already by knowing that your home is small and you just want an updated kitchen not necessarily the 'WOW' factore.

With that in mind, you can certaintly do it for 6-8k.  My other thoughts would be that you think about the resale value of your home, unless you plan to NEVER sell it then it doesn't matter. 

Are you set on granite? You can get a higher quality counter top that isn't granite that could also lower your costs too...somethin g to think about. 

For an example:  low quality flooring, cheaper sink ($56) cheaper faucets ($50) surrounded by granite counter tops.....

thanks. I might just PM you for more information. actually i was thinking of quartz for the countertop.... i heard it is cheaper, and more durable? plus it would go better with our home. nothing too high end given the style of our home. We don't plan to move out anytime soon.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 12:29:13 PM by IsaacsLove »

aboo

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 12:38:20 PM »
quartz pricing runs almost as much as granite.  you might want to consider corian too...that's a grade above your basic laminate.

sacleads

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 10:36:57 AM »
DO NOT USE laminate floors in the KITCHEN or Bathroom :o :o.  The kitchen is too wet too often.  You are gonna Fvcked up that laminate floors really, really quick.  I know, I have laminate floors in my bedroom.  A drip of water drop on it and I didn't see.  That drop ruined the laminate floors.  There is a permanent blotch there now.  I can't even imagine the amount of water dropping, mess it will do to these floors on the kitchen.

Based on the materials that I have been quoted in the past, I say that your budget is doable but those contractors are asking an arm and a leg for reasons I have no idea about.  Best way to go is probably you have buy all the materials yourself and just hire someone to come install it.  Demo it yourself as well. 

I went to a granite store.  Not the expensive fancy store ones.  I just went to one that was owned by an Asian family.  Their 8 ft prefabe granite ran about $100-$400, depending on the look.  I was told I needed two 8 ft prefabe.  I was quoted under $2k for cabinets, I think $1,500-1,700, can't remember.

Go to discount stores.  You'll get the best deals.  Check craigslist in the Material area.

MilesDaddy

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 11:37:23 AM »
check out concrete countertops... Super durable and not nearly as $$$ if I ever get to do my kitchen over....also a dew things to consider would be lowering your stove top.....so that us shorter folks could cook at a safer distance to those huge pots we cook with.

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 11:11:49 AM »

thanks. I might just PM you for more information. actually i was thinking of quartz for the countertop.... i heard it is cheaper, and more durable? plus it would go better with our home. nothing too high end given the style of our home. We don't plan to move out anytime soon.

My house is only 5 years old but when the 1st owner went into foreclosure their kitchen counter top was those standard white small ceremic tile but the investor who bought the house also flip home........so he put in granite tile.  I do like the color but just wish it was granite slab. 

I saw corian and quartz but people said it just lower grade than granite from diy or HGTV show.  My kitchen is not that big either but its already too much work cleaning, tidying, etc.

I don't have to worry about buying any granite tile since he left behind boxes of them in the garage.  They cost about $13-15 each tile and heavy.

MilesDaddy

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 12:12:10 PM »
It's not lower, it's different. Spending less money does not mean its less quality. Watching all these HGtv and getting caught up in all the hype is what got some of these people in financial trouble in the first place. Cortina is nice just wouldn't be able to put something really HOT right on it. Granite also requires some maintenance. Sealing every 2 years or so

Advertisements