Advertisement

Author Topic: What is the best anime EVER?  (Read 43881 times)

Offline saki saki

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
Re: What is the best anime EVER?
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2014, 12:38:16 AM »
We're talking about Anime here, why are you guys yelling at each other about live action movie.
Lame..

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Sifu

« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2014, 03:58:02 PM »
Saki Saki.  Keep the thread going, TheAfterLife would like to believe that there aren't any good Asian directors or anime.  Nearly every post TheAfterLife posted in response just criticizes what other people's tastes are and that's unfair.  He asked for an opinion yet gripes about other opinions and sure this spun into something else but somehow bemoans and misses a point.  And when a point is brought up he still skirts around the mentality that Asians can't direct yadda yadda yadda.  Still can't accept that Asians aren't dumb or aren't skilled in this field as well but is sure good at trying to be a spin doctor.  I'm trying to stand up to that idea because most of us understand why, others would like to think they do.
I don't mind the responses.  It gives me an idea of other viewers and their tastes and we even had a person who knows little about anime?  Wouldn't you give other members an honest attempt to maybe explore and get into it?

Badkarma

« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2014, 05:25:18 PM »
I'm personally a big fan of SAO and berserk. Though I really love the newer remakes of berserk

bruisedknee

« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2014, 09:17:44 PM »
Look guys, I don't like melodramatic anime and sorry acting, okay. Because if it gets too boring for me and if it doesn't seem to feel real, I am turning it off with a piss off attitude.

same

i like nonstop action anime, but series like that are few and far in between

Sifu

« Reply #94 on: March 17, 2014, 01:38:30 PM »
Come on man.  Asians can't write or speak English well?  That's what editors and translators are for.  You just can't accept that there are Asian directors that have made successful Hollywood movies and at this point you've already proven to everyone here that your statement is wrong. 
I just finished Attack on Titan and for me it wasn't too bad.  There were moments when it was slow or lacked more development but the story isn't too bad.  I just wish it didn't have to fall into a Titan's hand and I was hoping to root for the puny humans.

Sifu

« Reply #95 on: March 17, 2014, 03:09:34 PM »
I never said it was great.  I said I was able to stomach it.  The story was good until the main character found out his special ability.  At that point it was your usual Mecha based anime.  Nothing is wrong with cliche; its how it differentiates itself from cliche that makes the difference.

Sifu

« Reply #96 on: March 17, 2014, 03:11:24 PM »
Again, if you see any asian directors who has won the Nichole's (Nickel) Fellowship, I only know 1 guy who did it. That is pretty sad for asian people who has not won the Nichole's Fellowship in Hollywood.
The really sad thing is how you won't admit that there aren't any good Asian directors.

Sifu

« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2014, 06:39:02 PM »
Dude.  How does it taste with your foot stuck in your mouth?  If you're going to proceed and play the spin doctor then practice some more.  You can try to shift the arguments all you want and avoid my questions.  You can blindly pretend that all Asians aren't good actors or directors.  You can deny that in your own world because you're just like thePoster.  Blind, naive, only open to hear what you want to hear, etc etc etc.  It must be a lonely world.  I take it the inability to see past your nose helps the harsh reality.
Keep spinning and chasing your tail while patting your back.  You can even make it a winning situation in your situation.  You can take that view into the world and pretend.  I assure you that you'll be happy in your own world.  When you're ready to join the rest of the world we'll be right here. 

Offline dogmai

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2014, 08:29:45 PM »
Anime, YES, I would agree that Asians know more about their craps. Ya know why? Asian people are PROS at cooking Asian food which is their natural background. It's like what the elders say, "If you are good at something, stick to it." In shorter terms, it's YOLO.

As for Asian people directing in American movie, NONE so far. Again, if asian people can't write english well, don't even talk about making movies in America because America is the LOUDEST nation of their is. Therefore, if someone targets USA industry, your fame and glory will go THROUGHOUT the entire world rather than just that country alone. For example, Joe Hisaishi, a famous Japanese music composer isn't that famous here in USA because he's only famous in Japan. Therefore, it's a no. He's not that worldly famous, just famous in his country.

If you already know that Asia has best anime, why say Japanese anime is nothing compared to Hollywood anime?

Offline dogmai

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2014, 01:14:41 AM »

Sifu

« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2014, 10:07:43 AM »
Define Hollywood.

Sifu

« Reply #101 on: March 19, 2014, 01:15:04 PM »
I didn't say Hollywood anime. I was comparing stories to Hollywood. I am more of a story guy that gets me hook. If I don't see a hook, then I am not biting IT!
 Japanese anime is good, about a FEW ONLY! In this today of age, anime aren't hitting in the USA market...not that much. Only a few that would get a pick up.
You do know why animation is huge in other parts of this planet called Earth and why its not taken as seriously in other parts of the work right?  Why is it that a Bollywood movie has singing and dancing?  Or why Chinese movies work like a Peking Opera?  If you think it is because the story wasn't good or there wasn't enough action or cgi then you've still can't see a much larger, more complex issue than 'Hollywood wouldn't pick it cuz it sucks and all Asian people suck at movies'. Again, define Hollywood so we know were on the same page.  You understand that the studios make movies and hire people to make the movies.  Do you understand the marketing aspect is a whole different animal?  Studios have pre-screening, screening parties.  They go out and do surveys asking people 'if there was an Afro Samurai movie would you go see it?'  They are checking the demographics of viewers, what they eat, wear, listen to, watch, purchase, age, sex, etc etc etc.  They can  spend millions before the movie is even made just to see if they'll make a penny.  You've heard of all the stories of how a director was going to make a movie but the plug was pulled.  Why?  Ask yourself why was it pulled?  The writers, directors and even producers were pushing for it but who has the final word?  I know its a strange feeling but think about it.  Surely living in LA has given you the hot scoop that everyone else here is missing.  Am I right?
To keep it simple, who holds the keys to television, movies, music in the USA?  Who can and does control what we see, when we see and how we see it?  Who rates the movies so only a certain group can go?  Who is it that tries to keep the movie only 1hr30min (because American audiences get bored so easily), who calls the shots for cutting out scenes, hiring big name actors to promote the film?  Think, its not that hard to see or understand.
Traditionally because you grew up in the USA probably assumed anime, animation and cartoons were all lumped into the same category.  Your Jetsons, Flintstones, Scooby Doo, Tom N Jerry kind of cartoons.  Not to be taken seriously, just slap stick shows for children.  We grew up to this and *gasp* its still seen this way because why?  Why doesn't Hollywood make an Afro Samurai movie for the USA?  Because maybe a majority of the audience doesn't  know who Afro Samurai is or wouldn't understand anime because the majority have not been exposed to it.  Maybe simply there isn't any money to be made because not enough people will go see it or it will cost too much to promote the movie and with their data collected there's still no sure fire way that it will make any money.

Also, you hardly ever see NEW anime series that comes on T.V. every night or day. The truth is, they are not hitting what the people want. Whenever Hollywood say, "Make Sci-Fi movies because of money," or "Go make horror movies," etc. The movies that came out successful as a sci-fi movie was The Avengers. Why is it a lot better than some dumb Asian movies? That's because they got money. Asian people can't make a good budget CGI that is as good as USA. In fact, when DID 3D entered in the realm of Asia? Well, it entered pretty late before USA got theirs first. Therefore, if you look at the movie industry by watching the story, the character, the shots, the timing, and the special effects, America holds the best shows in this world. If you think Asia has some better art than USA, I would like to see some. The only movie that was decent in Anime vs. USA movie industry would be Afro Samurai.

If you think that special effects are what makes a movie then your argument is doomed.  You've already penned it.
CGI is a tool, just like a paint brush.  You can use CGI just like you can use a movie set, or a painted backdrop, or a camera, a light, an actor.  It should be used to tell a story but sell it?  Seriously, don't go this route, skip it.  Pretend you didn't say it because this will hurt your statement because Hollywood LOVES audiences that just want simple stories and lots of action.  It is so much easier to make sequels when people will be lining up the streets waiting to drop money without thinking about it.  They love zombies, they're so easy to make and market towards.  Really, don't go this route, I want to see where your argument will go trippin' and stompin' but not here.

Do you know why Afro Samurai was made to be the best? The first one was great, the second one was stupid. Your notion of logic requires some work.  "It's the best" because the first was great.  "It's the best" but the 2nd one was stupid.  So there's one 'great' and one 'bad' and it still makes it the 'best'?  How so if one is good and one is bad?  See what I'm dealing with here?

Oh, so you watch a story that has no story but just a kick a.s.s. story? Well, then I guess you like watching dumb movies then. I guess you don't care much about art then.
Here is where you're going to back track.    How can you critique a whole movie, series, book, music, television show without even seeing it let alone trying to understand it?  Did you do this with math or science during school?  Do a few, fawk I'm bored math sucks. 
"It all sucks!  Those science guys doing stuff?  Science sucks!  Teacher, math sucks! "
"Why does it suck?  Did you finish the problem?"
"No!  i did a few and it sucks!"
"How do you know it sucks?  You only did two problems, there are 5 problems.  You haven't finished."
"But I know it sucks!"
"How, you never finished it?"
Explain to me how a limited knowledge of information gives you the ability to understand the concepts?  This is arrogant.  You can't hate or love something without understanding it.  You can't become a critic without knowing the issues.  Really this is failure, you're riding on a sh1t ton of hubris.  This is why I've been asking for your definition of Hollywood and while you're still trying to go around the problem you still can't understand why I don't accept your statement.  Don't ever go to a book review if you haven't read the book.

You know who sounds like that? It was Patrick Star and the reason why I chose him is because when he made his FIRST music to be put on the radio, there were tons of haters that brought pitchforks to kill him. The reason why they want to kill him is because of his annoying art. The truth is, Guren Lagan SUCKS! That kind of a art goes to the trash. I mean, would you take a red picture to be art? About six guys I know consider a red painting to be art and they BOUGHT IT for $600 bucks just to buy a RED PAINTING. Dude, that's like me buying a piece of white paper and calling it art, or taking a crap is calling art.
I hate to break this to you but art is subjective.  It's flippin' amazing because an artist creates their work, their art, their form, their style, their expression.  Then they place it on a medium.  The audience takes the artist's form and sometimes heavily places their own contexts on top of it.  Sometimes they agree on the same context, sometimes they see differently but regardless critics will take the time to explain why.  The wild thing about art is that monetarily it is dependant on the demand.  Again, leave this out, we are going to art and economics.  You're trying to shift the arguments again.  Stay on topic because it sounds like you know little of art.  Really, take a deep breath and back away. 

Okay, name more than 20 that has won the oscars here in America.
Why?  Movies that you liked didn't win Oscars.  You said successful movies.  Usually that means what has made grossing profits or has had lasting impacts for the audiences and society.  You can have as many directors, actors, actresses that get nominated but only one winner.  Again by your definition none of your movies would be successful; again that flawed logic.  Wouldn't it be prudent to say that the Oscar panel views their nominations with great regards but chose one as it exemplifies over the rest?
And why in America?  Dude, Hollywood is international!  Shit is bigger than just this pond in the US!

That's because you haven't seen how Hollywood is. I live in LA, what are you talking about?

Wow.  Amazing.  I'm speaking with an expert because you live in LA.  Can I claim that I know everything about Mother Nature because I live on Earth or have you also claimed that superfluous title?  Are you Man-God because you just are?   I'd call you director extraordinaire based off of your examples but you said Asians can't be good directors.

I know its long winded and maybe most of the viewers don't really care.  But if anything viewers can at least account your credibility and what you have to say with discretion.  I just want to stand up to malicious statements that you have made and make sure others understand that there is more to Hollywood than Afro Samurai, being an expert living in LA and incorrect statements about Asian directors and movies; both animated or not.  Hollywood is pretty cool but it is not what you think it is. 

If you would still like to continue then start a new thread because I'd still like for this original post to proceed.  I'm always looking for things to do and watch (to the end credits, not just 5 min it).  This is why I come here for ideas on what to watch.  But yeah...  Your statement isn't getting you anywhere anytime soon.

Sifu

« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2014, 06:39:18 PM »
Dude, I have worked with projects before since I am making music for the guys who works in the industries. I even have a meeting about them of how they actually run the place; however, when you look at Freddy Wong and his stuff, that is what Asian can do ONLY except for a story. Asian people are good at making action scenes ONLY...never was for making a bomb A.S.S. art.
Ask them if there are any Asian directors next time LA.  And answer the question.  Or would you rather spin some more?  Not very good at it.

Sifu

« Reply #103 on: March 20, 2014, 11:20:12 PM »
I have. I even gave you that Hollywood is racist. Why do you think Chinese directs Chinese movies only rather than not an American movie? Again, people would rather watch American movies.

Racist but it's soooo good right?  The best racists ever because they make the best movies.

I know you'll never do it at this point. 

Sifu

« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2014, 12:35:34 AM »
Why must you keep changing and avoiding the question?  Backed into a corner and you have nothing else to back you up.  You can't spin this on me.  It's not working.  Clearly treading is what you do very well.  You've avoided most of my questions and continue change your idea about Asian directors.  Every time it changes.  Your statement isn't working so you're just fishing for something else.  Looking for a hook to desperately claw your way into.

Now you're asking me if there is a big population of Asian directors in Hollywood or America?  What happened to all sucking Asian directors that can't be from America or Hollywood?  Did you just admit that there is 'a population of Asian directors?'  Wouldn't that just defeat what you have said that there weren't?  You live in LA remember?  You tell me.  You can't prove to me that there aren't any; I've already listed some.  I'd help you look them up but I don't think it's really that hard.  We haven't even begun the discussion because your definition (or lack) of Hollywood hasn't been presented nor will it be.  You'll always see it your way.  The wrong way; the naive view. 

Why don't you just admit that you were wrong?  This isn't going so well for you.

Advertisements