Advertisement

Author Topic: Hmong Funeral  (Read 4951 times)

kong011

Hmong Funeral
« on: March 20, 2013, 09:14:51 PM »
Alright so can someone go over the whole funeral from day to night from day 1-3, i would really like to appreciate the facts...

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

yuknowthat

Re: Hmong Funeral
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 11:48:04 PM »
Three is just the whole thing is split up the work load so people can rest .. many of the stuff is optional..all it is waiting process for the relative from all over to visit one last time before they buried the deceased loved ones..

chidorix0x

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 06:48:19 PM »
It is near impossible to detail all 3-days, what is commonly called "cov txheej txheem"  ...   :D

But since you asked, this is what I know, understand, and have learned per all of my personal experiences, schooling, and Q&As. Bare in mind, I am ONLy stating the MAIN purpose/ceremony for each day -- not trying to detail them.

Day 1:  Taw Kev and/or Qhuab Ke/ev (Basically bringing the deceased forth and leading them to the after life. Think of it as placing them in the coffin, in preparation for the next two day's events towards burial.)

Day 2:  Hnub Hauv Qhua (Family, relatives, and in-laws come to grieve and bid the deceased "farewell".)

Day 3:  Rooj Hais Xi and/or Foom Kom (All the singing, bowing, and last respects paid to the deceased who later will be buried once everything is done.)

That is in essence what each day's intent and purpose is for. Yes, they do overlap here and there, but that's expected and the norm; however, that is the progression from day one to day three.

Like this post: +1

Offline slude

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 09:59:13 PM »
don't wait until it's a family member, attend an eldery relative's funeral, take the weekend off and stay up all night sunday night listening, closing in on all the rituals and traditions and you will have a better understanding/appreciation. seeing is better than hearing.

Advertisements