Advertisement

Author Topic: Re-seeding a Lawn  (Read 1934 times)

Sleipnir

Re-seeding a Lawn
« on: April 01, 2013, 09:20:34 AM »
Hey do-it-yourselfers...

maybe you guys can help me...  I'm getting lots of helpful advice from Home depot, Lowes, and Menards...

but do you guys have any personal experiences (Do's and Do Not) that you guys can share with me?

I'm planning on starting the project once all the snow is gone...

Thanks in advance...

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

aboo

Re: Re-seeding a Lawn
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 12:20:31 AM »
De-thatch your yard first. You can rent the machine and get it done in a day.
Then fertilize and reseed the yard and water.

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 05:24:59 PM »
I got rid of more lawn and did concrete work over about 2 week ago  because too much works caring for the lawn and walking in those area that it is dead.  Everyone is sick in my family so no help with doing anything for the last few days even though I want to re-seed/fert. the lawn, do a little pest control inside and outside of the house and then lastly do a few planting plot, etc.  With bugs/flies........this is the 1st time I have tried using water bottle/gallon like many OGs do and it does help.  I need 2-3 ceiling fan for the bedroom.  Lastly, get rid of stuffs for spring cleaning in which I can toss furniture, bedding, etc. when it i scheduled.  I still have little ones so I keep my house simple.

Sleipnir

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 08:26:28 AM »
De-thatch your yard first. You can rent the machine and get it done in a day.
Then fertilize and reseed the yard and water.

yeah, my meeka brother in law and i are renting some heavy duty equipment and doing it ourselves...   i might also pick up some black dirt as well...

we're going to try to get it done, not this weekend, but likely the following weekend.

supadupac

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 09:12:31 AM »
i wanta lawn so bad to take care of lmao.. i should do my parents huh? but man to drive that far to take care of their lawn? eh :(

aboo

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 09:42:37 AM »
yeah, my meeka brother in law and i are renting some heavy duty equipment and doing it ourselves...   i might also pick up some black dirt as well...

we're going to try to get it done, not this weekend, but likely the following weekend.

IMO from experience it is a bit early to start dethatching your yard.  you want the yard to be somewhat more dried up then soggy from the snow melting etc.  i've done it 4 times myself and 2 times for family.  if the ground is too soft or more wet, when the de-thatcher runs through the yard it will damage more of the top layer of dirt plus most of the grass. 

unless your goal is to remove all traces of grass and start over a new yard, then go ahead.  but if you are just trying to get your yard to be bushy and soft, then wait till the end of april to early may.  if we get too much rain - the ground will not hold up properly for de-thatching and also your precious seeds will be washed away.

also make sure your de-thatcher is at the correct level when it meets the grass otherwise you will end up taking out more dirt and grass.

it's not a bad job.....well worth it when you mow that lush new grass in your yard O0

Sleipnir

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 08:26:01 AM »
Sure, i can definitely wait.  We're getting more rain this weekend and early next week too.

i really neglected my yard last summer when it was really hot and i was traveling during the week for work.  All of my grass died and weeds moved in... 

But this year, i'm going to rehab it.  it's quite embarrassing having the worst yard in the cul de sac.

Advertisements