Advertisement

Author Topic: planting peppers  (Read 1852 times)

jetter

planting peppers
« on: May 21, 2013, 02:11:55 PM »
Since I can not find any peppers that I want locally, I just purchase somes seeds off the internet and plan on planting them this summer season to try out some dishes in the fall.  Any kind of tips for me?  I am a complete newbie when it comes to gardening.  The only thing that I have planted are basic cooking herbs.

Here's what I got:
Ghost pepper
African scotch bonnet
Some other scotch bonnet
habaneros

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

yuknowthat

Re: planting peppers
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 07:24:11 AM »
from seeds, start small with potting soil and then transfer them to your garden when they get a little bigger. Make sure to give them plenty of water in the morning and plenty of water in the evening and sunlight. put fertilizer later when they get a little bigger if needed.

JustMe

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 08:26:03 AM »
If you are transplanting use a seed starter mix, that will promote more root growth as there is no nutrients in the mix.  The Ghost pepper is the one that may take the longest to grow to fruit so get that one in the ground ASAP so it will grow fast. 

supadupac

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 08:40:15 AM »
yeah! youre gonna need seed starter mix soon..

there's no local garden shops that you can buy these pepper and grow it from baby plants?

jetter

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 02:20:05 PM »
planted them straight into the ground.  It's been 10 days now so well see if anything happens this year.  I will be more prepare next year.

JustMe

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 09:19:29 AM »
Just keep yhe ground moist.  Don't let it go dry and you should be fine.  Put a small amount of.mulch to keep yhe ground protected. 

jetter

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 09:08:57 AM »
thanks guys.

Ghost pepper & African scotch bonnet has sprouted.  Lets see if I get anything from the plants.

jetter

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 08:46:58 AM »
Everything is sprouted!  I'll take some pics once everything is grown up a bit.  I have to separate the different plants pretty far away since I am unsure if they will cross blend.

JustMe

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 08:52:47 AM »
That's great man.. if you are going to reuse seeds then you will have to keep them isolated.  Otherwise just make new plants from the parent that way you will have a perfect clone.

jetter

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 12:39:30 PM »
here's what they look like now; tallest is about 1.5 feet with a little grass and watermelon as compost.  Not sure how they will turn out but well just have to wait and see; plus I hope these are the real deal.

Advertisements