Advertisement

Author Topic: Game of thrones...  (Read 12769 times)

thenewbguy

Re: Game of thrones...
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2014, 08:47:32 PM »
pretty neat how the the actors from this serious are showing up in movies...
ie.  perter dinklage, lena headley

great series.... minus the incest.

They've been in movies before, you just never noticed them before.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

prima_donna

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2014, 05:20:31 PM »
They've been in movies before, you just never noticed them before.

When I do spot them in movies, Im like wow!!!

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2014, 07:15:48 PM »
Season 4 is now over......

Luckily, they have been confirmed for season 5 and 6! 

I just hope they keep going untill finally we get to the end...

Season 4 had alot of action.... I liked it... and moved kinda fast... which I also liked!  Alot of twists and turns thats for sure...

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

WindComeWindBlow

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2014, 10:40:14 AM »
Finally caught up on Season 4!  Yay!  Thrilled for Season 5.

J-a-s-o-n

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2014, 09:58:43 PM »
The hottest and baddest chick died.  I felt like I got shot in the heart as well.  :love9: :sad7:

zena

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2015, 02:21:50 PM »
I have not watched the series but I heard that season 4 ends where Tyrion shoots his dad between the groin and belly button.  I've read the book though and that scene ends book 3.  I've finished book 4.  In book 4, Tyrion is not even in it so I wonder how they will make the tv show.  He is obviously one of the most liked characters in the book, and it seems, also in the tv show.

Someone said Deanery's isn't all that.  Maybe not in the tv series but she is awesome in the book.  She's smart and brave and has her own sneaky tactics.

I'm planning to watch the tv series after I finish the 5th book.  The 6th+ books have not been published.  That makes it all the more exciting!!

supadupac

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2015, 09:20:47 AM »
man this is spoiler thread! lol jk

zena

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2015, 04:15:22 PM »
I've finished all 5 books that are published.  The 6th book should be out soon.  I heard there were also going to be books 7 and 8. 

I just started watching the TV show last week.  Honestly, it does not compare to the books.  I'm really bummed.  However, I understand that there are a lot of people who don't like reading or don't have the time and the TV show does the job.  It's a great TV show but it's not very close to the book.  For instance, Catelyn knitting and talking to people while watching Bran aftef his fall is not like her (in the book). She's supposed to look like she hasn't washed for days and stare out into nothing.  Then, when Jon Snow comes in to say goodbye to Bran, Catelyn sneers at him, then when he leaves, she says, "Jon Snow?" like she's going to say something kind to him but instead says, "I wish it was you instead of Bran."  Also, Rickon is not in the TV show.  He's Catelyn's 4-year-old son.  They seemed to have made Bran the youngest and he's already 10 years old.  In the book, he falls from the tower when he was 5.  Also, when Bran saw Cersie and Jamie making love, it was in a guest bedroom, not an old tower.  And, Jaime didn't push Bran out the window, he dropped him.  The reason wasn't because he saw that they were making love, it was because he heard stuff he wasn't supposed to. 

As for Danearys, she seemed weak.  I can understand why some didn't like her so much.  In the book, she appeared much stronger.  When Kal Drogo copulated with her, she didn't cry.  She was very brave on the outside.  She never yelled at her brother or thought any bad about her brother.  It was strange to see that in the TV show.  She had a lot of hope for her kind to gain back power and she did whatever was needed to get their power back.  Her brother was a cold and mean man and they did depict him pretty close.

Arya was also depicted pretty good.  Except they called her horse face in the book a lot so I imagined her with a long face and big teeth.  The TV Arya is really cute.  As for Sansa,  her character is so off that she seems like a completely different person.  Sansa in the book is a very happy girl.  She loved pretty things, cute boys, partys, and gatherings.  She's always smiling.  When they locked her father away, she questioned a lot of things, but she still had hopes that they'd let him go.  It was only after Joffrey did what he did to her father that she realized how evil he was.  BUT, she ends up falling for the flower prince.

Oh...and Lord Renly was portrayed as a gay guy.  He was not portrayed that way in the book.  There was no guy going down on Renly.  In fact, there were no gay things going on in the book. 

And, one more thing.  Tyrion seems so sower in the show.  He did not come across that way at all in the book.  He was so funny and kind. 

It's interesting to see the differences.  There was more s*x in the show than in the book.  Little Finger was not always into two girls going at it and all that.  It was just weird.

LION HEART

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2015, 06:26:38 PM »
You may have missed it.  Rickon is in the television show.    When Ned gets beheaded and Hordor takes Bran to the catacombs, Rickon is down there.  Rickon and Osha leave with Shaggydog to House Umber. 

zena

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2015, 07:43:34 PM »
You may have missed it.  Rickon is in the television show.    When Ned gets beheaded and Hordor takes Bran to the catacombs, Rickon is down there.  Rickon and Osha leave with Shaggydog to House Umber.

I haven't gotten to the beheading part yet of the show but I am close.  I'm glad to know that Rickon will be in the show but still, he's missing from the beginning.  During Catelyn's watch of Bran, Rickon was crying and Catelyn simply ignored him.  That says a lot about her character.

Also, not to anyone in particular, just my thoughts...Jon Snow is annoying in the show.  I mean, I like him still but I loved him in the book.  I wanted to just hug him.  ;D

It's a fun show to watch.  I'm just picky...but hey, I love reading and it's the one thing I actually take very seriously (but no one has to take that of me seriously and you-in-general shouldn't 'cause it's not a serious thing) so if I compare, understand where I'm coming from.

LION HEART

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2015, 08:08:36 PM »
Of all the characters in GoT, I follow Arya Stark and Jon Snow closely.  I too am one who prefers a loyal adaptation but understands that it can't be 100% faithful adaptation.     

The television show deviates A LOT from the books; inevitable because they have to fit everything into 10-one hour episodes, too many characters can get you lost especially if they're very minor and don't play a major role in advancing the plot/show, and some things just cannot translate from book to television. 

At most, they've kept the spirit and outline of the books but changed a lot of details. I would say prepared to be disappointed if certain people don't show up, if details are excluded, if they merged characters together to create a new character, and if certain people die that do not die in the book. 

zena

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2015, 08:31:22 PM »
My opinion of Arya is that at first she is/was interesting but...I'm not sure what got into the author because she ends up...well, I'm hoping that in the 6th book her skills shine.  It would be a waste after all her training just to have her end up not using it but, hey, Mr. Martin is crazy like that.  So, we'll see.

Someone said Jon Snow died.  How can anyone be 100% sure of that?  Even the 5th book doesn't say he dies.  The movie can't be ahead of the book.

I agree that they do keep with the outline and the most important parts and charactders that make the story.  As for the spirit....some times and sometimes not.  I found everyone so sad and bitter...it was too depressing.  I'm considering taking a break to watch something with a little more humor and ease like The Adventures of Merlin.  Now, the book, I read all 5 of them back to back with no problem and giddy as ever.  So, I don't know.  I think the show missed out on some of the humor or maybe that's just how I saw things.  I mean, there were very serious stuff going on but there were also some funny things that made me laugh, especially with Tyrion.

I think once I get to the red wedding (if that's what it's titled...I know what happens), I'm sure I'll have lots of opinions and comparisons about it, but hey, it's good to have an opinion and to dissect things.  Makes it more interesting to watch.  :)

supadupac

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2015, 08:50:57 AM »
My opinion of Arya is that at first she is/was interesting but...I'm not sure what got into the author because she ends up...well, I'm hoping that in the 6th book her skills shine.  It would be a waste after all her training just to have her end up not using it but, hey, Mr. Martin is crazy like that.  So, we'll see.

Someone said Jon Snow died.  How can anyone be 100% sure of that?  Even the 5th book doesn't say he dies.  The movie can't be ahead of the book.

I agree that they do keep with the outline and the most important parts and charactders that make the story.  As for the spirit....some times and sometimes not.  I found everyone so sad and bitter...it was too depressing.  I'm considering taking a break to watch something with a little more humor and ease like The Adventures of Merlin.  Now, the book, I read all 5 of them back to back with no problem and giddy as ever.  So, I don't know.  I think the show missed out on some of the humor or maybe that's just how I saw things.  I mean, there were very serious stuff going on but there were also some funny things that made me laugh, especially with Tyrion.

I think once I get to the red wedding (if that's what it's titled...I know what happens), I'm sure I'll have lots of opinions and comparisons about it, but hey, it's good to have an opinion and to dissect things.  Makes it more interesting to watch.  :)

lol well the show does get quite serious and there is almost no humor in it .. that's interesting that the books have humor in it

LION HEART

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2015, 11:12:25 AM »

I agree that they do keep with the outline and the most important parts and characters that make the story.  As for the spirit....some times and sometimes not.  I found everyone so sad and bitter...it was too depressing.  I'm considering taking a break to watch something with a little more humor and ease like The Adventures of Merlin.  Now, the book, I read all 5 of them back to back with no problem and giddy as ever.  So, I don't know.  I think the show missed out on some of the humor or maybe that's just how I saw things.  I mean, there were very serious stuff going on but there were also some funny things that made me laugh, especially with Tyrion.

If you like the protagonists, this show isn't for you.  Basically, all the protagonists either are killed off, gets their behinds kicked, or something miserable and unfortunate happens. 

/START SPOILERS

/END SPOILERS

So yeah, that's as far as they are right now on the television show. 

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 01:00:23 PM by LION HEART »

zena

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2015, 12:42:39 PM »
I've read all the books and the show is based on the books  ;). I like watching the show to compare and to see how well the directors/producers/actors do their thing.  It's enjoyable in that sense.  I'm just not in any rush to finish all the seasons the way I finished the books because the book was awesome.  Of course with all that reading, there is no way I can remember every detail.  My husband just finished the first book so it's much clearer in him mind, whereas, the 5th book is clearest to me...aside from the 3rd book, which was my favorite of all 5.

[SPOILERS BEYOND THIS POINT]
Thanks for the heads up on the show.  The 5th book goes beyond that: Jon Snow does get stabbed by the Night's Watch.  They turned against him (because he planned to leave the Wall to Winterfell to save Arya--he doesn't know that it's the fake Arya) and they stabbed him quite a few times in his stomach, arms, sides, etc.  He falls in the snow and and everything turns black (or white) or something but it's not stated that he dies.  My guess is Melisandre (the red priestess) will save him in the 6th book or his wounds weren't that deep or something, I hope.  Stannis leaves the Wall to get more soldiers when Jon Snow was stabbed.  Theon Grejoy escapes Winterfell (long story) with the fake Arya, not the real Arya.  The fake Arya had married Prince Ramsey but she's only a maid or servant which Ramsey is aware of but played it like it was real just so they can take over Winterfell.  Ramesy is just as bad as Joffrey.  In their escape, Theon and the fake Arya were saved by the Braavosi's who came to collect money, whom were sent to Winterfell by Jon Snow.  After Ned Stark's beheading, Arya runs away and meets Gendry (the TV show has Gendry at Kings Landing and he is not the way I imagined him).  In this book, Arya ends up doing some serious training with a master of some kind..I can't remember his name but I believe she met him already at Harrenhal while he was under a masked/different facial identity.  While Arya trained, she was given a new name, Cat and also, no name.  Danearys finally rides her dragon...somet hing she's been wanting to do...but the ending ends without an end and Daneary's story isn't that great.  The dragon part wasn't as exciting as I had hoped.  What confuses me a little about Daneary's story are the groups, the Shavepates and Second Sons.  Tyrion and Ser Jorah ends up joining the Second Sons but I'm not sure if the Second Sons are good or bad.  It doesn't matter if they are good or bad.  I like both.  It just helps to know.  My guess at the moment is I can't trust either groups.

Advertisements