Advertisement

Author Topic: Wedding food  (Read 8089 times)

jetter

Wedding food
« on: June 17, 2013, 11:09:52 AM »
What are the rules regarding wedding food?  No Peppers?  No Greens?  What are they?  Cause I am very tired of eating the very bland fatty pig stuff.

Let me know.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

yuknowthat

Re: Wedding food
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 11:12:33 AM »
roasted pork and chicken! ;D O0

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 01:42:21 PM »
What are the rules regarding wedding food?  No Peppers?  No Greens?  What are they?  Cause I am very tired of eating the very bland fatty pig stuff.

Let me know.

There is no "rules", just opinions and false beliefs for the most part. If it's your wedding, you can serve what ever food you like...you DON'T HAVE to stick to the "bland" stuff.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 01:30:51 PM »
There is no "rules", just opinions and false beliefs for the most part. If it's your wedding, you can serve what ever food you like...you DON'T HAVE to stick to the "bland" stuff.

True. It's matter of preference.

But it's good to avoid serving both qaub and peppers, unless your house has a few bathrooms. You know how many people usually come to weddings and funerals...

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

chidorix0x

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 02:58:31 AM »
If you are referring to a general wedding reception, US or Hmong, then "yes" you can serve and have whatever you want, can afford, or can dream up/of.

That said, if you are specifically referring to the traditional Hmong wedding aka "tshoob kos" then the only food or dish that is traditionally allowed, used, and practiced even nowadays is only boiled pork/meat and rice.  That is it period.  Sorry, no veggie dishes, peppers of any kind, or desserts/candy is allowed.  Why?  Because the belief is that meat is symbolic of wealth and prosperity.  Veggies is not.  And peppers is an homage to antagonism which no married couple or human being wants in their life.

Ua tsaug ...  :)

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 02:04:16 PM »
If you are referring to a general wedding reception, US or Hmong, then "yes" you can serve and have whatever you want, can afford, or can dream up/of.

That said, if you are specifically referring to the traditional Hmong wedding aka "tshoob kos" then the only food or dish that is traditionally allowed, used, and practiced even nowadays is only boiled pork/meat and rice.  That is it period.  Sorry, no veggie dishes, peppers of any kind, or desserts/candy is allowed.  Why?  Because the belief is that meat is symbolic of wealth and prosperity.  Veggies is not.  And peppers is an homage to antagonism which no married couple or human being wants in their life.

Ua tsaug ...  :)

Plus, we should look at it from a common sense perspective. Veggies almost always indicated that the family is poor. Meat is a delicacy and a symbol of wealth. Secondly, there had been too many incidents where a person (usually one who travelled from afar) died after eating peppers. Too easily laced with poison or perhaps just irritable to the stomach? Anyways, who wants to start off a marriage with a death?

AOZ

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 07:38:36 PM »
my fil wants us to make banana blossom laab to replace all the meat that they eat at the table... lols.... for our next wedding in our family.   ;D

winerice

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 08:23:48 AM »
my fil wants us to make banana blossom laab to replace all the meat that they eat at the table... lols.... for our next wedding in our family.   ;D
That's a great idea but ask your fil to replaced beer with some fine wines instead. Seeing hmong wedding and gathering with beers just remind me of my college days hanging out drinking nights and days.

Advertisements