Advertisement

Author Topic: How I did it: Bulk to cut (210 lbs to 170 lbs)  (Read 42504 times)

Traps

Re: How I did it: Bulk to cut (210 lbs to 170 lbs)
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2013, 02:05:03 PM »
Great job.  What a difference.  Cutting from 210 to 170 is hard work, but it shows.  I'll be surprise 6 months from now.

Thanks but why will you be surprise six months from now?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline yubnag

• Elite Poster
  • Redamancy
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2013, 02:10:28 PM »

Everyone has their own unique progression story to tell so I figured I'll just share some of the things I did to get from 210 lbs to 170 lbs.  Hopefully, you'll find some of this info helpful even if your goal isn't exactly the same as mine.

1. Tracked protein to make sure I was getting at least 1 gram per pound of bodyweight (this was the only macro that I calculated).

2. Reduced overall calories mainly from carbs (not because carbs make you fat)

3. Carbs mainly came from cream of wheat, white rice, white bread, veggies, and fruits. I guess white rice and bread aren't so bad after all (no thanks to broscience).

4. Fats mainly came from my protein food sources, olive oil, and fish oil. Occasional peanut butter and varies nuts.

5. Proteins mainly came from chicken, beef, eggs, milk, and protein powder.

6. Supplements included protein powder, creatine monohydrate, probiotics, Xtend BCAA (not necessary but I use it to mask the taste of my caffeine tabs and I feel that the citrulline malate gives me a better pump), caffeine tablets, glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, fish oil.

7. I trained Monday (pushing), Wednesday (pulling), and Friday (lower). About 1.5-2 hours each session.

8. Used progressive overload. Either trying to increase load or reps for at least one compound exercise each week.

9. The majority of my exercises are basic compound movements (squats, bench, deadlifts, pullups, dips, pushups, barbell rows).

10. I didn't really started seeing my abs pop out until I started doing weighted crunches. Isometric ab exercises has it's place but it does very little for abdominal hyperthrophy.

11. The only structured cardio I did was my 5-10 minute warm prior to my lifting. I feel that traditional long steady state cardio is absolutely not needed to get leaner. 10 reps of heavy squats or 40 reps of dips makes for good cardio in my opinion.

Well, that's all I can think of for now. I'm definitely not in the same level of leanness as a competitive bodybuilder but I think I did well for someone who just wanted to get leaner without logging everything that I ate.

AWESOME! Thanks for sharing!

Making a hundred friends is not a miracle. The miracle is to make a single friend who will stand by your side even when hundreds are against you.

Traps

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2013, 04:00:19 PM »

Wi_sweetguy

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2013, 04:56:49 PM »
Your muscle only matures as time goes on and the striated fibers will start to show proving your conditioning of your body.  Did you measure your body fat yet?

HUNG TU LO

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2013, 01:27:04 PM »
Actually, striations show when the body fat is low enough. Granted, a higher muscle mass would have more pronounced striations and it also depends on genetics. Some people simply have more capability to show deeper striations because they were made that way.

Below is how our muscles look like under our skin and fat. These anatomy pictures are drawn that way because if you were to skin off every human, this is what the muscle would appear like. It's a question of: can you cut fat low enough to show the striations.

Traps

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2013, 04:44:28 PM »
I didn't measure my bodyfat because I see no point in doing so.  The lack of visible muscle striation had more to do with me not having low enough bodyfat than muscle maturity.  For example, lots of elite heavy weight strongman and powerlifters lack visible muscle striation but it would be erroneous to say they lack muscle maturity even though they've been lifting for 20+ years.

Wi_sweetguy

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2013, 01:27:35 AM »
I know that part, but the difference between a powerlifter and a physique builder is the conditioning of the muscle and their ideal shape.  I am a physique builder so my aim is towards a lean and definitional structure. It takes years to reach striation and so anyone who have obtain this level of physique is able to prove the experience of bodybuilding.  For example, you could tell the difference between a person who just started to a person with a couple of years to someone who has been doing it for a long time. The deepening of the triceps isn't from lowbody fat but from years of hardwork. A person with low body fat will not have the same muscle variation to someone who has been doing it for sometime.  There is nothing wrong with measuring bodyfat, but we all know in order to achieve the muscle look, we will need to decrease our bodyfat to show the define tissues. And even with decreasing the bodyfat, if you don't have year of hard work put into it, it will not show.  For example, a skinny guy with no meat chest is different from a skinny guy with big chest meat.  But I'm pretty sure you knew all this already. O0

Traps

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2013, 04:22:33 PM »
I kind of understand what you're saying but it sounds to me like you're referring to muscle striation and muscle development as two process that the muscles must undergo through time.  However, muscle striation is a structural characteristic of all skeletal muscles (such as Z-line, A-band, etc.)  regardless of development (see Hung's picture above).  Muscle development requires time (there are exceptions) but muscle development is not a genetic characteristic of skeletal muscles. I've seen a few skinny people who have visible muscle striation but lack the development but most folks who don't lift can't achieve a low enough bodyfat for striations to show anyways because most of them are considered skinny-fat.

BuckFuddies2

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2013, 04:29:05 PM »
Damn.... I used to be into bodybuilding alot in my younger years. 

To me the most import part of the muscle is the abs.  That part of the physique you can't work on.  It's a disappointment if your abs have a gap in the middle.  Also the gap in the chest too. 

Json

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2013, 03:28:35 PM »
Do you men only work on your upper body parts? How about the legs?
I do.  My calves look good, they got the camel toe kinda look.

Json

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2013, 04:06:37 PM »
I was going to say, imagine you  have alot of muscle in the upper body but two skinny hairy legs.  :2funny: :2funny: I can't get that image out of my head.
I see a lot of dudes like that at the gym.  Dudes way taller than me with way smaller calves.  I don't get it.

Traps

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2013, 04:35:34 PM »
Do you men only work on your upper body parts? How about the legs?

Most people don't care about developing the legs so that's why I didn't post any leg shots but since you're wondering, here's a shot of mine.

I don't speak for all men but I believe that having strong legs sets the foundation for most functional movements within athletic or daily living activities.  However, leg soreness will make you walk like a robot and you'll usually need assistance from you arms to sit down (I guess that's why people avoid training legs).

Like this post: +2

Traps

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2013, 04:53:09 PM »
Damn! Very sexy and muscular!  :D :D O0 Thanks for making my day. I love a pair of strong legs on a man. Makes their body overall define and well balance.

Thanks!  Some of the Hmong females that I've met consider it a turnoff but I'm glad you're not one of them.  Most girls will ask to check out a guy's abs or biceps but rarely if ever legs.

Json

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2013, 04:59:14 PM »
Tree trunks.   O0

Json

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2013, 05:03:41 PM »
Json, where is yours?
I'm no where close to traps.  Hopefully by next summer but I doubt it.

Advertisements