Advertisement

Author Topic: How I did it: Bulk to cut (210 lbs to 170 lbs)  (Read 42847 times)

Traps

Re: How I did it: Bulk to cut (210 lbs to 170 lbs)
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2013, 05:41:40 PM »
It makes a lot more sense now.  I was confused because you mentioned the word grow and the only time you really grow is when you're in a caloric surplus so I didn't see how that was possible while you're also trying to cut bodyfat.

So when you implement the grow into it method, do you keep calories about the same and just change your ratio of macros?

How tall are you anyways because you look a lot bigger than 165 lb?

Major props to you for competing though.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

PRINCESS.

« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2013, 06:10:45 PM »
I can do that. Hold my beer.  ;D

k_vng88

« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2013, 09:52:05 PM »

So when you implement the grow into it method, do you keep calories about the same and just change your ratio of macros?

How tall are you anyways because you look a lot bigger than 165 lb?

Major props to you for competing though.

-Sorry got lazy, didn't want to take it completely off.

-Traps your right, I got down to 160lb to a low enough body fat then with the time left until the show I kept calorie intake the same but macro changed with a high protein to low carb and even lower fat. I know you have no intention to compete but the purpose is to build muscle, I just find it hard for naturals to do a excessive high amount of bulk off season and then cut down without the taboo ''S'' word being involve. My suggestion was to just stay lean year round and just keep continuing to build from a lean/low body fat that you are at already, I don't know if it's a slower way to build muscle compare to the bulking and cutting cause I never personally tried that route but it sure cuts the time u have to cut down to your ideal condition.

Traps

« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2013, 04:53:33 PM »
I don't know if it's a slower way to build muscle compare to the bulking and cutting cause I never personally tried that route but it sure cuts the time u have to cut down to your ideal condition.

Base on my experience and the experiences of other natural lifters that I know, doing a fast bulk will add on much more muscle mass than a slow bulk since you're in such a high caloric surplus.  Plus, your strength also goes up much faster.  But the disadvantage is that it requires a longer cut, you're more likely to get stretch marks, and you get the negative health effects of adipose tissue.  Generally, I would only recommend this for beginners who are really underweight.   

Like you mentioned though, it all depends on the individual and their situation.  If you plan on staying in the same weight class then there really is no need to add more overall mass but instead just focus on your weaknesses and improve your conditioning.   

k_vng88

« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2013, 07:53:01 PM »
If you plan on staying in the same weight class then there really is no need to add more overall mass but instead just focus on your weaknesses and improve your conditioning.   

I'm 5''7, yep just comes down to goals, preference, time.  Focusing on weaknesses, conditioning, and fine tuning will always be there but I bet It would surprise you that some natural show like the NANFB federation which I just did are by height class and that the odds can be with you.

yuknowthat

« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2013, 03:22:55 AM »
looking good! bro traps!....
my plan is to be just like you, but not too bulky and a little leaner ...get motivations for me..

Traps

« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2013, 03:45:47 PM »
I'm 5''7, yep just comes down to goals, preference, time.  Focusing on weaknesses, conditioning, and fine tuning will always be there but I bet It would surprise you that some natural show like the NANFB federation which I just did are by height class and that the odds can be with you.

So there's no limitation on weight?

looking good! bro traps!....
my plan is to be just like you, but not too bulky and a little leaner ...get motivations for me..

Thanks.  Good luck.

Traps

« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2013, 04:57:16 PM »
Wasn't as crowded today so was able to get a short clip of some widegrip pullups.  First set was weighted with a 45 lb plate then did a quick rest pause before finishing with only bodyweight.  Bodyweight still around 175 lbs.

Json

« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2013, 06:56:31 PM »
That was awesome.   O0  I've only seen one person at my gym use 45lbs while doing pullups.  He said that he's in the army.  I think he trains the new recruits.  He's constantly doing pullups and dead lifts. 

Traps

« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2013, 05:04:21 PM »
Them army folks are pretty gung-ho about their pullups.  Most of them do it multiple times a week but frequency tends to yield better results if the goal is to be able to do more total pullups. 

Traps

« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2013, 05:18:18 PM »
Shoua, you sure have some body strenght there! Great video. O0

Thanks,  I'll try to get more videos when I can.

Traps

« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2013, 04:20:42 PM »
Do you work alone or do you have a work out partner?

I workout alone.  I've done the partner route before but I've found that I'm able to stay more focused and go at my own pace when I'm alone.  However, for beginners I highly recommend having a partner. 

Some pros of having a partner are:
Support
Safety
Motivation
Accountability (easier to let yourself down but not others who depend on you)
They're able to see something about your technique that you might not see
Able to learn from each other and share ideas

Some cons are:
Different fitness levels
More talking than necessary
Occasional conflicting schedule
One partner having a bad day might affect the other

Traps

« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2013, 06:07:13 PM »
Found some old videos of me training in my homegym.  Since I only had a power rack and freeweights, I had to come up with some creative setup for more exercise variations.  Depending on your goals, a lot can be done with minimal equipment as long as you understand the actions of the muscles.

Like this post: +1

Traps

« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
Hopefully, this explanation will be of use to those of you who perform this exercise as part of your routine.

So after I got done doing some weighted 45 degree back extension, an older gentlemen came up to me saying that he had never seen anyone used that much weight on that exercise before and if it was safe.  It was a 100 lb dumbbell which to me wasn’t that heavy since I had slowly worked up to it over time.  He was concerned that using that much weight would be dangerous since it involved the lower back.  I explained to him how it was possible to use heavy loads with exercises that involved the lower back while still being safe.

As you can see from the figure below, number 1 is in neutral position, number 2 is in an extended position, and number 3 is in a flexed position. 

In my video, it’s hard to see from that angle but my lower back remained pretty neutral during the entire range of motion for each repetition.  Being able to keep my lower back in this neutral position prevents it from hyperextending which can potentially pinch a nerve since the formina decreases during this motion.  It also prevents it from hyperflexing which can potentially compress the disc and cause a disc herniation.  You’ll also notice that I don’t go down as low as some people do.  The reason for this is that I only go down to the point in which I start feeling like my lower back would start to round (aka flex).

This is about the range of motion that I use and you’ll notice that there is no flexion of the low back which means that the low back is still in a more neutral position.

This is the range of motion that some people use during this exercise and you’ll notice that the low back is flexing.

So does this mean that you should never flex your low back?  The answer to that is it depends.  Under no load, it might be acceptable depending on the health of your discs and other soft tissue in that area but you dramatically increase the risk of a disc herniation under heavy load in a flexed position.  It also depends on one’s flexibility since some people can go much lower without putting too much flexion on their lower back.

So the whole point to this ramble is that any movement where you’re bending over is much safer if you can maintain a neutral low back position even if you’re doing it under heavy loads but you just have to make sure that your low back muscles are strong enough to maintain that position.   

Like this post: +1

Traps

« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2013, 03:04:32 PM »
Shoua, all I can say is that you are very strong! I would not want to mess with you. ;D

Thanks but I wouldn't hurt you even if you did.

Advertisements