Advertisement

Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 13366 times)

prima_donna

Game of Thrones
« on: July 03, 2013, 03:08:42 AM »
Im excited to read the first book.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

prima_donna

Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 05:37:51 PM »
The book isn't divided by numerial chapters, thats the first thing I noticed. Every chapter is divided by names, read it as it was from their own viewpoint.
It gets confusing but as you read on certain characters will start to develop. There's an appendix towards the back of the book. Listing the names and relationship of characters. {Brackets} indicate the already decease members.

Interesting how each noble house have their own pharse and sigils.
The popular family seems to be the House of Stark. Stark stands out because I always think of Tony Stark from Ironman.

As I was already warn this book is sinister and people just die off.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 04:41:05 PM by prima_donna »

prima_donna

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 05:42:21 PM »
There was a part that I couldn't stomach. Man, some of these evil characters are ruthless. They kill regardless if you're innocent or a child. But I dont want to spoil it here.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 05:45:21 PM by prima_donna »

prima_donna

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 04:39:41 PM »
Reading book 2. So there are a few new characters; which means new point of view. Now, I really dont know which noble house to cheer for. I thought the Starks but turns out every noble house is playing the Game of thrones.

I hate Sansa; shes kinda boring to read. She can't protect the people she love.
Tyrion is one of my favorite up to this point. He's best describe as sacrastic, smart-ass, and quirky.
Daenearys, she hasn't proven that shes much of a leader yet.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 04:48:41 PM by prima_donna »

prima_donna

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 04:44:58 PM »
I hate Joffery too. The self-proclaim boy king. He needs to die soon.

prima_donna

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 04:51:08 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if the incest of Jamie and Cersi Lannister makes anyone else feels uncomfortable. Why is this particular world so f'ck up. lol.

At least we still have some normal characters to fall back on. If meanors show class of highborn Ned Stark was a perfect model. I liked him till his head was chopped off.

zena

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 10:28:51 AM »
Interesting review.  This series is on my to read list.  Keep it up.  I'll be reading your reviews.  O0

prima_donna

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 12:14:49 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if the incest of Jamie and Cersi Lannister makes anyone else feels uncomfortable. Why is this particular world so f'ck up. lol.

At least we still have some normal characters to fall back on. If meanors show class of highborn Ned Stark was a perfect model. I liked him till his head was chopped off.

Thanks moonangel. I like reading your reviews too.

The story is getting alot better now that Im on Book 3.
I like following Jon snow because at this moment he goes beyond the walls to do some espionage act.

In this book I see two major wars happening simultaneously . The control over Westereo and the Race war between mankind and the undead.

I said didn't like Daenearys in the beginning because my thoughts were she was just a girl who couldn't lead. She depends on Sir Jonas to give her counsel. She's been tricked by a witch lady which caused her a miscarriage. A misterous lady  said these prophecies were meant to happened. Daeneary would be betray 3 times for gold, for love and for blood.

oh this came up as a surprise for me. Tyrion gets marry.

I assume in those days royalities didn't freely marry who they want.

zena

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 01:09:59 PM »
prima_donna, book 3 is my favorite.  It has the best actions and best characters.

I just finished book 5 and now await the release of book 6.

I felt sorry for Daenerys.  She was so young and innocent and the marriage and deaths were put upon her so quickly.  It made her grow up quickly.  Her true strengths shows in book 3.

As for Jaime and Cersie...yeah, it's very strange but it's who they are.  The dragon people do the same except they don't do it in secrecy.  It's well known that they marry within their family.

Tyrion always makes me laugh.  I was shocked when Cersie forced the wedding of him and Sansa Stark but what's most irritating is Joffrey.  I'm happy to say he is not in book 5 but that's all I'll say.

I know what you mean about marriage in those days.  They married for power, not love.

prima_donna

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 01:42:31 AM »
prima_donna, book 3 is my favorite.  It has the best actions and best characters.

I just finished book 5 and now await the release of book 6.

I felt sorry for Daenerys.  She was so young and innocent and the marriage and deaths were put upon her so quickly.  It made her grow up quickly.  Her true strengths shows in book 3.

As for Jaime and Cersie...yeah, it's very strange but it's who they are.  The dragon people do the same except they don't do it in secrecy.  It's well known that they marry within their family.

Tyrion always makes me laugh.  I was shocked when Cersie forced the wedding of him and Sansa Stark but what's most irritating is Joffrey.  I'm happy to say he is not in book 5 but that's all I'll say.

I know what you mean about marriage in those days.  They married for power, not love.

You're a fast reader. Im gald you like the book. See I have friends who watched the TV series already. And so far I already knoe Rob Stark is guna die and Joffery is guna die.

Reading Jamie's narration is so plain weird to me. Like the parts where he fantasize about his sister.

And the part I can never get over is Craster. How he breeds his wife and marries his own daughter. It made me just want to hate the author for putting these preverse thoughts in my head. Lol.

minorcharacter

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 02:24:59 PM »
Spoiler alert, everyone dies.

zena

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 06:56:49 PM »
You're a fast reader. Im gald you like the book. See I have friends who watched the TV series already. And so far I already knoe Rob Stark is guna die and Joffery is guna die.

Reading Jamie's narration is so plain weird to me. Like the parts where he fantasize about his sister.

And the part I can never get over is Craster. How he breeds his wife and marries his own daughter. It made me just want to hate the author for putting these preverse thoughts in my head. Lol.

I know people who watch the series too and someone told my husband that Jon Snow dies.  I try not to listen to them...LOL.  I'm not so bothered by the the incest.  It makes the story interesting.  Now, in real life, yeah, it would be disgusting.  Craster is an interesting man.  He gives his newborn baby boys to the wights...but he's not a main character so I don't dwell much on him.  He moves the story along for Sam and Gilly which Sam and Gilly are main characters in the 4th book.

zena

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 01:29:55 PM »
It feels too much like Vampire Hunter D along with Berserk, the anime.

Are you comparing the book to the shows you mentioned?  The books are awesome.  The GOT tv series...not that great. Not super horrible but just doesn't follow the book, in characters and storyline.

zena

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 04:49:39 PM »
I was coming from the gore yo. Game of Thrones also reminded me of Beserk since there is a lot of sex scenes. It's nothing but gore and sex.

Yes, that's pretty much what the tv show is.  The book is more about power and magic, less about sex.  There is still gore but done nicely.  Good grown-up fantasy has to have all the elements to make it worthy.  It has to be balanced too.  The tv show isn't that great.  I only saw season 1 and I don't know if I really care to watch the rest of the seasons because it's not the same as the book.

On another note, I thought you were referring to the book because this is a book topic but if you are comparing the anime to the tv show then that's  whole different thing.  If you get a chance to read the books, you'll find, they're pretty awesome.

zena

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 02:22:37 PM »
I'm not into the gore and sex stuff as much as you might think I am.  I don't mind it if it moves the story along or adds character to the characters.  A story with sex and gore as the main point is not a story.  It's someone's sick delusional thoughts and a waste of time.  A story without any is not realistic so as I mentioned, it has to be balanced and it has to have a purpose.

Have you read or seen, "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo?"  there is rape in it and sex.  I don't like to watch rape scenes but I don't mind reading about it in a fiction story.  The rape scene in the movie was pretty crazy and disturbing.  I may have closed my eyes through most of it.  Now, in the book, it was pretty bad too but I can digest it much better that way.

Also, if you are just into the sex stuff, the movie Fifty Shades of Grey, might be up your alley.  All sex.  Everything else is just pathetic.

As for gore, I can't just watch gore like in those scary movies.  I could read about it and watch gory movies only if it has a purpose, but otherwise, it's a waste.  I personally like fantasy and sci-fi books and I like a range of them from YA (100% safe from too much gore and zero sex) and adult fantasy and sci-fi with enough gore and and other stuff to keep the story going. I'm not big into modern fiction, murder/mysteries, or action thrillers.  I like stories that create characters that seem real.  I want to escape through them.  Stories about how to be a detective or a simple romance is a bit boring.  I don't hate it, I just prefer not to read them.  There are some really good ones out there and when I find one I'll definitely read them but from my experience (I've read over 200 books within the last 3 years) there aren't to many that I like.

Advertisements