Advertisement

Author Topic: True, we Asians in California lead, the rest of you follow  (Read 199 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
 ???:

Toronto man talks about how ‘California Asians are built differently’ than other North American Asians: ‘You guys set the tone for the rest of us’

Chris Zou (@storiesofgaycz), a content creator based in Toronto, took to TikTok to call attention to the power and influence of Asian Americans in California.

Zou references a video made by a different TikTok user regarding how California Asians in particular are “built differently” than other Asians.

‘I don’t know if the California Asians necessarily know this, but you guys actually have a lot of power over all the Asian Americans in North America’
“Oftentimes, and I emphasize oftentimes, not always, they grow up in these affluent Asian American neighborhoods, which is not really what is representative of Asian Americans in the rest of America,” Zou explains of the California Asians. “And I’m pretty sure she isn’t saying that, like, one experience is more valid than another.

“Even for me, I live in Toronto, which is a huge urban center, and I know that my experience as an Asian American here is going to be very different from an Asian American living in Wyoming,” he continues. “I don’t know if the California Asians necessarily know this, but you guys actually have a lot of power over all the Asian Americans in North America. You guys set the tone for the rest of us out here.”

California is home to more than 6 million people of Asian descent, according to data obtained by AP News via the U.S. Census Bureau in 2021. Per the same article, the Asian population in California increased by 25 percent in the past decade, making it the “fastest growing ethnic group in the nation’s most populous state.”

At 45 percent, nearly half of Asian Americans live in the West. Almost one-third, 30 percent, live in California, as reported in a 2021 article from Pew Research Center.

Zou uses the “Asian baby girl” stereotype to prove his point. “Asian baby girls,” or “ABGs,” is a superficial term used to describe Asian women whose physical appearance is generally characterized by lash extensions, a full face of makeup, acrylic nails and some sort of glamorous hair look.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +248
    • View Profile
Re: True, we Asians in California lead, the rest of you follow
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2023, 08:17:57 AM »
 :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Sure, sure, sure...

Next, they will claimed they are the 'true' Asian  :2funny: :2funny:

- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

Offline Cali Guy

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +650
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2023, 10:40:54 AM »
I didn’t know that!  ;D ;D

I do feel it when I hit the small towns where everything is super slow across the board. I hear all kinds of nonsense about the Bay Area where the weirdest, wildest things supposedly are taking places. Haven’t seen anything weird and wild at all. It’ll be shocking to hear about a serial killer roaming the Bay now. In 2022, Stockton had a serial killer.

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2023, 12:22:56 PM »
It is like this.  Asian, if they want to see the next trend needs to come to California and see for themselves. 

When women with highlights were a thing in California and it then dies out, you then see hmong women in Mn and the midwest be sporting it. 

Rap/hip hop music same thing.  When it is played out at them clubs in the West, the midwest then picks it up and say it is a thing.  I know because my MN cousin be giving me new music, so he thinks, and I'm like, well that's played out here already.   :2funny:

How about Thursday night is azn night?  Over 30 years ago, the rage in sacramento was infested with hmong or azn folks. Then I go to MN and yes, thursday night azn night all over again. 

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Advertisements