Advertisement

Author Topic: Hmong wedding process and the different roles people play in Hmong weddings  (Read 52971 times)

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
  • Respect: +524
    • View Profile
Chidorix0x and whomever knows the ins and outs of hmong rituals,

Could you please educate us on the different roles people play in Hmong weddings?  Also, what are the procedures/processes/standard practices from the moment the bride is taken to the groom's home (lwm qaib) to the day they go back to her parents' house for the wedding to the day they return home to the groom's family?

What is the role of the mejkoob? 

What does the person doing the lwm qaib usually say as he waves the chicken over the bride and/or groom?  Does the lwm qaib person have to be a male?  Do you have to give money to the bride's family when you send men to fij xo?  Are there drinking involved at the fij xo? 

At the end of the wedding the bride's family tells the bride to not look back.  What happens if she looks back? 

What is the significance of the black umbrella?

Etc.

Thank you so much!

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Like I've pointed out in the other thread, Google is your friend. It's much faster to get the information by asking Google too. Lots of resources out there ( text and video ), and it can easily answer your "not look back" and "black umbrella" questions.

chidorix0x

/\/\/\ ...  why don't you answer all of Lilly's question with your Google-based information then?

Let's see how much you can Google --  O0

(Lilly, since this person is so Google-trenched, alluding it to be an "oracle", perhaps they will provide you will all the information you are seeking.  I'm out ...    8)  And await -- perhaps to learn something I did not know, per Google.)

Ua tsaug ...  :)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
/\/\/\ ...  why don't you answer all of Lilly's question with your Google-based information then?

Let's see how much you can Google --  O0

Because a person can gain more by learning to do it him/herself. Not just learning how to be more resourceful but also discovering how easy it is access the available information on the WWW regarding Hmong weddings and pretty much anything else with just a click of the mouse.
Yes, it's that easy, just ask Google.

Much better than hearing crickets since August 15th when the inquiry was created ...

chidorix0x

/\/\/\  ...  says the squawking do-do bird.

Why not answer Lilly's inquiry with your WWW mumbo-jumbo  ...   O0

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
    • View Profile
Chidorix0x, please don't mind theking.  I would really like it if you do the answering instead of google.  Thank you.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
/\/\/\  ...  says the squawking do-do bird.

Why not answer Lilly's inquiry with your WWW mumbo-jumbo  ...   O0

Says the "Ruam" crickets ...I already answered that question "Clitorix0x.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
Chidorix0x, please don't mind theking.  I would really like it if you do the answering instead of google.  Thank you.

Now is your chance Chi, better not let the woman listen to crickets for days ... ;D

chidorix0x

/\/\/\  ...  ( :D)

For a squawker who claims that Hmong culture/custom is primitive and backwards, they yet turn to and rely on Google/WWW for whatever mediocrity they can scavage  ...  :2funny:

Oh come on, surely your Google/WWW can entertain Lilly -- so squawk away.

(We all are interested to know what "mediocrity" you can scavage from Google/WWW  ...   O0)

Ua tsaug  ...   :)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
/\/\/\  ...  ( :D)

For a squawker who claims that Hmong culture/custom is primitive and backwards, they yet turn to and rely on Google/WWW for whatever mediocrity they can scavage  ...  :2funny:

Oh come on, surely your Google/WWW can entertain Lilly -- so squawk away.

(We all are interested to know what "mediocrity" you can scavage from Google/WWW  ...   O0)

Ua tsaug  ...   :)

Yep, still just cricket sounds from Mr.  "vo doo"  ;D. And yes, I can because it's just a mouse click away but she's not asking me to do it for her.

The inquiring was requested for several days, and nothing but cricket sounds, and now that I showed her a way to get the answers to her questions, mr. "vo doo" can't handle it. Hey, she specifically asked for you, NOT me. I was just wondering why the cricket sounds for several days so I showed her another avenue. Nothing wrong with that FU.

jetter

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
    • View Profile

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
Google is your best friend

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=hmong+wedding+process

Thank you, Jetter!!!

Found this thread that led back to PH.  Hahaha!!!

http://www.pebhmong.com/forum/index.php?topic=126247.0

Bingo  O0! If you would to watch it in video form, there are some good vids on YouTube as well (if it's still there) that teach about the stuff in our culture. With Google, it's just a click away, instead of waiting for days ... O0

chidorix0x

Lilly, ( :))

I hope your Google/WWW has ample info that covers all the procedures, roles, and variants you are looking for, such as the "lwm qaij thiab cov lus ntuas ntawd" including "fi xov", not to mention that there are, in fact, three well-known and historically practiced traditional Hmong wedding  ...   O0  (Note:  Today, there is actually a fourth sort of speak, and one of the traditional three is rarely practiced, nor used nowadays in the West to my knowledge.)

From some of the WWW stuff I have see, there is no mention of "Niam Txiv Cob Txheeb", "Nws Tij Cob Txeeb", and "Nws Npawg Cob Txheeb" etc., or what their roles are -- a good explanation.  (Of course you can always WWW search those key words and see what you get.)  Also, most WWW stuff mainly just cover the overall process of the wedding -- general information.  If that is all you are looking for then you are set.  If not, good luck spending time "clicking your mouse"  ...   :-\ .  Perhaps Google/WWW will cover and clarify them for you  ...   O0  (Hmmm, jw, if WWW covers a "Green" Hmong wedding?  Fyi, Green is not the same as White -- rather different believe it or not,  ;D)

Ua tsaug ...   :)

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
    • View Profile
Lilly, ( :))

I hope your Google/WWW has ample info that covers all the procedures, roles, and variants you are looking for, such as the "lwm qaij thiab cov lus ntuas ntawd" including "fi xov", not to mention that there are, in fact, three well-known and historically practiced traditional Hmong wedding  ...   O0  (Note:  Today, there is actually a fourth sort of speak, and one of the traditional three is rarely practiced, nor used nowadays in the West to my knowledge.)

From some of the WWW stuff I have see, there is no mention of "Niam Txiv Cob Txheeb", "Nws Tij Cob Txeeb", and "Nws Npawg Cob Txheeb" etc., or what their roles are -- a good explanation.  (Of course you can always WWW search those key words and see what you get.)  Also, most WWW stuff mainly just cover the overall process of the wedding -- general information.  If that is all you are looking for then you are set.  If not, good luck spending time "clicking your mouse"  ...   :-\ .  Perhaps Google/WWW will cover and clarify them for you  ...   O0  (Hmmm, jw, if WWW covers a "Green" Hmong wedding?  Fyi, Green is not the same as White -- rather different believe it or not,  ;D)

Ua tsaug ...   :)

Chidorix0x, that is why I want "you" to explain the process.  Please don't mind other people who tell me to go google it.  No other explanation is better than yours.  You could just pm it to me if you want to.  Please?  Thank you.   :)

Advertisements