Advertisement

Author Topic: Fresno State grad creates bottle opening iPhone case  (Read 5582 times)

Toumeng

Fresno State grad creates bottle opening iPhone case
« on: August 27, 2013, 07:31:21 PM »
Friday, August 16, 2013
Christine Park

FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A recent Fresno State grad has turned his senior project into a business idea, but he needs the public's help to "kick start" it to the next level.

It was just another day at the office for 26-year-old Nhia Moua, except for the Fresno State grad and entrepreneur, the office is anywhere he is developing his next big idea.

"Carbonforce we started back in fall 2012. I knew it was my last semester here at Fresno state, so I knew I wanted to do something different," Moua said

Moua started sketching, brainstorming, and researching the concept of a case that not only protects your phone but is also functional. Moua and his team of engineers created what they call "the world's first authentic carbon fiber bottle opener case for the iPhone 5."

Action News Reporter: "That's what's ironic about this phone case. You don't drink."

Moua: "I don't drink beer or anything like that. Which is funny."

But that doesn't make Moua any less passionate about his product.

"Ten times stronger than steel, five times lighter it takes a lot of commitment and it takes a lot of drive to get something from paper to an actual physical product or prototype," Moua said.

A local machine shop donated the time and equipment, allowing Moua to create the prototype, and present it to potential backers. That is where the crowd funding website Kickstarter comes in. Twenty-four backers have committed to $1,082 out of a pledge goal of $12,000, which leaves only 13 days before they can move into the production phase.

Incentives for those who pledge $40 or more include your very own Carbonforce Case. Moua's former professor Nelson Sebra, himself an entrepreneur, says Kickstarter has turned the startup business model around.

"It's the new wave. Be creative, do something on your own, and support yourself and create your own opportunities, Kickstarter gives a place where you can find money like Nhia's looking for," Sebra said.

Moua hopes he will soon be toasting to his success.

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/technology&id=9203892

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

AOZ

Re: Fresno State grad creates bottle opening iPhone case
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 05:21:49 PM »
Good for him.    O0 hope it all works out for him.   O0

AOZ

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 12:33:04 PM »
Ever notice that those Hmong mouses in Fresno are pretty successful?   So many doctors etc.   

biggieT

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 12:42:33 PM »
I've seen that before for the IPhone4. It's not as sleek though. It's a cool design nonetheless.

Ever notice that those Hmong mouses in Fresno are pretty successful?   So many doctors etc.   

I grew up in Fresno and now I live in the Midwest. I've notice that Hmong men on the West Coast are much more ambitious and successful compared to the women. It seems the opposite here in the Midwest. Here, the Hmong women rule supreme in education and success while us Hmong men are just getting by.

Advertisements