Advertisement

Author Topic: Knives collection?  (Read 26307 times)

Producer

Re: Knives collection?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 11:08:05 AM »
Nice stuff. Thanks for the eagletac product. Never knew it existed...  ;D I am looking for a flashlight that is small and powerful. 1030 lumen led. Getting this one... Those knive, I collect from cheapo knive that I found in big 5 sporting. I like the winchester set for a good 20$... Lost a rambo knive while hunting so I am looking to get me another one. Thinking about a mechete so I can use it to cut high brushes. Another one might consider is the hmong knive.

Jetbeam bc40 for 830 lumens at 79 bucks I believe is a good deal. Another good one is the fenix tk35 at 800 lumens is good too but piced a bit higher. Don't get a hmong knife, those knives are not heat treated properly and will chip on you. If you want a nice machete look at the ESEE JUNGLAS. You will not be dissapointed with its quality, warranty and the owner is kool as hell.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Producer

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 01:25:05 PM »
Oh man man.. looks like i wont be getting that s35vn knife in. Just got a email they are switching to stainless elmax which i wont even get it til november. Damn! This sucks balls!

Offline saki saki

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 03:09:53 PM »
Lol Mfree you a dude. OMG... I thought it was fishy about why a chick would have a hobby of a guy.... and then you said "my wife" Aaaaggghhh.... I thought you was chick... stop posing a chick on ur Avatar...Makin g people confuse. lol

Surely you have a few Samurai blades? Cuz if you like blades then you should admire the Samurai soul.?

PRINCESS.

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 12:02:09 AM »
I buy to use and collect as well. usually when i am looking into purchasing a new knife i look into the reviews of people who has used them already. mainly when i look for the type of steel, design and craftsman of the knife. Here is the chart to show the toughness of the steels and it's strenght to hold a sharp edge. The chart is provided by Crucible Steel.

For example - A2 steel which is a carbon steel but is not stainless is a tool steel that has been out for a very long time already. This steel when use to make knives can hold it's sharpness for quite some time without needing to sharpen it. A2 steel will rust if you do not put on a patina or oil it up. 

CPM 3V is the toughest carbon steel out there today. it is semi-stainless. this steel can hold a edge longer then A2 as well as it's toughness. this steel will not roll but will chip unlike the A2 which will roll before chipping but is harder to sharpen because of it's tough steel.

1095 High Carbon Steel which ESEE/ROWEN uses to make their knives are a good steel as well but this steel will rust just like the A2, 01, and 3V if not properly taken care of.  There is too much to explain but hopefully that chart up there will help any of you guys who are interested in knives and plan to make future purchases. my advice is stay away from stainless steel like 440C and CPM S30V. They are weak. CPM S35VN is the upgraded version of these stainless steel.

Anways back to the flashlight thing. here is a picture of the lights i currently own. i had way more but my wife was complaining so i sold 4 of them to some buddies co/worker.

LEFT to RIGHT: EagleTac T20C2, FENIX TK11 R5, FENIX TK11 R5, FENIX TK11 R5, FENIX TK11 R5.

These lights uses these type of batteries which are 18650 3100mAh rechargeable. these batteries cost a arm and leg for it. 23 bucks for one and i have 14 of them  O0

Thank for that detailed answer! I feel like I know so much more about knives now. I'm gonna take a look at my dad's old buck knives from when we used to go hunting and see if he has anything collectible.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 10:46:39 AM »
Lol Mfree you a dude. OMG... I thought it was fishy about why a chick would have a hobby of a guy.... and then you said "my wife" Aaaaggghhh.... I thought you was chick... stop posing a chick on ur Avatar...Makin g people confuse. lol

Surely you have a few Samurai blades? Cuz if you like blades then you should admire the Samurai soul.?

Elsewhere, I've known mFree as a male for a long time.  He has a hot chick though.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 10:47:48 AM »
Lights with regular batteries are cool enough for me. But they have to be in the 200+ lumens capacity.

I buy to use and collect as well. usually when i am looking into purchasing a new knife i look into the reviews of people who has used them already. mainly when i look for the type of steel, design and craftsman of the knife. Here is the chart to show the toughness of the steels and it's strenght to hold a sharp edge. The chart is provided by Crucible Steel.

For example - A2 steel which is a carbon steel but is not stainless is a tool steel that has been out for a very long time already. This steel when use to make knives can hold it's sharpness for quite some time without needing to sharpen it. A2 steel will rust if you do not put on a patina or oil it up. 

CPM 3V is the toughest carbon steel out there today. it is semi-stainless. this steel can hold a edge longer then A2 as well as it's toughness. this steel will not roll but will chip unlike the A2 which will roll before chipping but is harder to sharpen because of it's tough steel.

1095 High Carbon Steel which ESEE/ROWEN uses to make their knives are a good steel as well but this steel will rust just like the A2, 01, and 3V if not properly taken care of.  There is too much to explain but hopefully that chart up there will help any of you guys who are interested in knives and plan to make future purchases. my advice is stay away from stainless steel like 440C and CPM S30V. They are weak. CPM S35VN is the upgraded version of these stainless steel.

Anways back to the flashlight thing. here is a picture of the lights i currently own. i had way more but my wife was complaining so i sold 4 of them to some buddies co/worker.

LEFT to RIGHT: EagleTac T20C2, FENIX TK11 R5, FENIX TK11 R5, FENIX TK11 R5, FENIX TK11 R5.

These lights uses these type of batteries which are 18650 3100mAh rechargeable. these batteries cost a arm and leg for it. 23 bucks for one and i have 14 of them  O0

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 10:48:29 AM »
Cool for hunting and just having around the body in the woods. You feel some power with them. I feel that with my knives.

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 10:49:24 AM »
Cool. Nice ones.

okay guys..here are my knife collection. some pictures are taken with cell phone camera and some with digital which is 2-3 months ago.

BUCK alpha dorado with rose wood handle along with the buck Batam BLW and it's little brother

ESEE 4 - with The Knife Connection G-10 custom handle scales + molle locks

1st ESEE 6 - with green liners + olive sheath

2nd ESEE 6 - with brown sheath and orange liner

BARK RIVER GUNNY A2 - RAMPLESS with red liners

here is close up of the liner

FIDDLEBACK FORGE RECLUSE with white/black liners

I collect

"...

Producer

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 12:49:09 PM »
The flasglights I own also takes cr123a batteries(photo batteries) but why waste 10 bucks for two all the time when I can use the 18650 rechargeable to take full advantage of the lights power. Its expensive but when you use it a lot its worth the money in the long run.

@saki, no, I don't collect swords. Its too big and I don't see no use for it. I only buy things I can use.

@gnam, I don't believe most buck knives are collectable unless you are looking at the ones that are are no longer made. If you want some thing that you can collect and worth something down the stretch maybe look into custom hand mades such as chris reeves, fiddlebacks, and others out there but they will cost around the 300 range.

Offline saki saki

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 03:11:29 PM »
Mfree,
Swords do have some purpose for me. I use to get sit a lot wen I lived at my Mt. Airy home and with my swords it gives me strength to fight those MOFO Fats. 
I like the rechargeable batteries too, but I like the the throw away ones. It's easy for me. With the recharge, I can't loose it or throw it away.

PRINCESS.

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 06:29:23 PM »
@gnam, I don't believe most buck knives are collectable unless you are looking at the ones that are are no longer made. If you want some thing that you can collect and worth something down the stretch maybe look into custom hand mades such as chris reeves, fiddlebacks, and others out there but they will cost around the 300 range.

What's your opinion on something like this?

ESEE-6 Plain Black Blade with Grey Removable Micarta Handles

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005G2G2SQ/

Producer

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 07:20:13 PM »
What's your opinion on something like this?

ESEE-6 Plain Black Blade with Grey Removable Micarta Handles

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005G2G2SQ/

Bro, don't ever buy these from amazon,ebay or such auction sites. It is a rip off. Go here if you want a good deal on a brand new esee 6 http://www.the-knife-connection.com I've bought knives from many online retail owners and there only two guys I trust. One is dale stoops from the knife connection other is jason thoune at dlttrading.com but he don't deal esee like dale. 120+free sh is a steal. Other retailers sell at 127 and up + you have to pay sh. Hope you find something that fits your needs.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 07:27:28 PM by mFREE »

Producer

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 07:30:47 PM »
I have two esee 6 which I regulary use and beat on it. Takes the abuse I put through without a scratch. I've had it for almost a year and half without needing to sharpen.

Offline saki saki

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2013, 10:08:34 PM »
I have two esee 6 which I regulary use and beat on it. Takes the abuse I put through without a scratch. I've had it for almost a year and half without needing to sharpen.
Nice, I like that in a blade. I have 2 of the huge Winchester blade that i use but the blade get dull. Therefore I strap 2 stone sharpers on each case. I hate it wen I have a dull blade and with no way of sharpen it.

I also had a very nice Hmong knife that I bought from J4 a long long I don't know how many long ago. And I never even had to sharp that edge. most straight blades will lose it's sharpness. But that I have to give it a thumps up.

PRINCESS.

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2013, 12:50:33 AM »
I made my first folding knife purchase! I love the speed safe on this thing. The blade flips out sooo buttery smooth using your index finger. I don't intend to become a collector. It's going to be my main carry for camping, hunting, and fishing.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 12:52:39 AM by gnam »

Advertisements