Advertisement

Author Topic: Jade Lee - That Boy  (Read 4693 times)

Offline jon_jon

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +159
    • View Profile
Jade Lee - That Boy
« on: September 05, 2013, 10:21:27 AM »
Some song about That Boy. Nothing new, it's just too cliché.

Wasn't this the girl from Daim Duab.

Like this post: 0
“our worlds collided and in an instant your ocean had color because of my sky.”

—r.m. drake

Adverstisement

Lady_Fallin

Re: Jade Lee - That Boy
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 06:43:44 PM »
i'm not impressed. beautiful voice, but music with no meaning no message.. *sigh

CherryVaj

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 08:29:22 PM »
She has only one good song - when she sung in her movie tou/n/mai

Offline nruabsiab

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 12:13:04 PM »
looks like it was film with a cell phone.. and the cheap background just a turn off.. hehehe

bruisedknee

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 02:02:38 PM »
terrible, sounds like every other mainstream video out there

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 02:57:14 AM »
She's pretty

Her song though.....  Ummm.

She needs a new ghost writer, vocal arranger, music producer.   And nothing agianst her voice but it doesn't match the song.  To me, just my personal opinion she needed a higher and sweeter voice for this song.  All in all it just seemed like a smoshed up together song.  Like everything was jumbled together without any thought to it. 

But keep doing what you're doing jade!  I think you look hot!

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 03:13:38 AM »
Jade jade jade, I wanna like you so much becuase you're a good looking girl but it just seem like your offbeat in all your songs.   

I went on YouTube to listen to her music and I couldn't find one I like.  I tried hard to like them too.  Her voice don't match the type of songs she want to do.  The instrumentals don't mesh well at all with the melody she's singing. It's like the music is going one way and her voice melody is going another. 

Ok here we go, jade I think you need to study Toni Braxton, your voice is like here's.  Study the way she sings and apply it to your music.  :)

« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 03:19:37 AM by thePoster »

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

HmongMusicFan1

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 01:45:00 AM »
I want to know how many of you actually listened to all her songs???  I'm a big Jade fan and have followed her career since the beginning and can say I've had the luxury to listen to every one of her songs and have met her at several of her events.  Personally, I think she is a very strong song writer and vocalist, arguably the best we have in the Hmong community from the new generation.  I also commend her for having the courage to be unconventional for the Hmong community and singing a genre that isn't popular, especially for a woman.

If you guys actually listen to her albums and EPs you will come to realize that her song writing abilities goes much farther than just "That Boy" and/or the stuff you may have heard online.  In fact, most of her songs are not even online.  Some of my favorites from her would be 1) "Teb Kuv" from her first album and 2) March of Leng Cheng from her second album.  I love her Christmas song also!!

In short, don't judge her overall make-up as an artist from just the few songs you may have heard online.  Also, it is okay not to like her style of music but don't knock her as an artist.  Personally, I think she is the only female Hmong Artist we have that can cross generations, race and cultures.  A lot of her fans aren't even Hmong and we should be proud that she can cross the Asian-American boundaries.  I don't know if any of you guys know but she was recently featured on "BestoftheNext. com" which is an Asian-American artist website.  She is the only Hmong artist we have representing us with the likes of Paul Kim, J-Reyez, David Choi, etc.  I don't know about you guys, but that makes me freaking proud. I encourage you guys to go get her albums and really listen to them.  I think then you will realize how talented and deep of an artist she is and how lucky we are to have her in our Hmong community.  Just some food for thought!

http://bestofthenext.com/blog/19/botn-exclusive-interview-singer-dancer-jade-lee/

« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 02:31:48 AM by HmongMusicFan1 »

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 07:29:31 PM »
I'm not hating!  Just saying... gosh...

I just wonder if that's how her voice really is....

To mee just sounds like she's trying to hard... if those are her own compositions.. . well... I think she need to arrange it better... I listened to those songs you noted....  she be changing notes midway through the note...

Hold a note out please!  I try to listen to her music but it's really hard to listen too...

Well I'm not singer or writer or whatever...

But Keep doing your thing jade!  It's just constructive critism!

HmongMusicFan1

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 02:06:05 AM »
I'm not hating!  Just saying... gosh...

I just wonder if that's how her voice really is....

To mee just sounds like she's trying to hard... if those are her own compositions.. . well... I think she need to arrange it better... I listened to those songs you noted....  she be changing notes midway through the note...

Hold a note out please!  I try to listen to her music but it's really hard to listen too...

Well I'm not singer or writer or whatever...

But Keep doing your thing jade!  It's just constructive critism!

She sings R&B which requires lots of runs and riffs which means there will be tons of note changes throughout.  Maybe you are just not into this type of music.  Personally I think traditional Hmong music  (or what we consider traditional) sounds too mono-tone and bland.  They could use some note changes throughout.  But I guess we agree to disagree.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 02:08:12 AM by HmongMusicFan1 »

woofwoof

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 01:15:59 PM »
Where's all the Hmong female who sings in Hmong at? O0

HmongMusicFan1

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 01:26:08 PM »
Where's all the Hmong female who sings in Hmong at? O0

I not sure if you are taking a shot at Jade, but she does sing in Hmong also.  She also sings in English because she has fans who aren't Hmong.  Hence why I said "above", for everyone to go and listen to all her songs before adding their thoughts.  Just like if you were writing a report, or paper, you would do all your research before you formed a conclusion.  I'm not trying to debate or argue with people about who is better, etc, I'm just simply stating for people to do their research and listen  to all her music beforehand because comments like these can be damaging to these artists because the average uninformed person would read our comments and mistake them as fact which is unfair.

Offline jon_jon

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +159
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 02:10:14 PM »
I want to know how many of you actually listened to all her songs???  I'm a big Jade fan and have followed her career since the beginning and can say I've had the luxury to listen to every one of her songs and have met her at several of her events.  Personally, I think she is a very strong song writer and vocalist, arguably the best we have in the Hmong community from the new generation.  I also commend her for having the courage to be unconventional for the Hmong community and singing a genre that isn't popular, especially for a woman.

If you guys actually listen to her albums and EPs you will come to realize that her song writing abilities goes much farther than just "That Boy" and/or the stuff you may have heard online.  In fact, most of her songs are not even online.  Some of my favorites from her would be 1) "Teb Kuv" from her first album and 2) March of Leng Cheng from her second album.  I love her Christmas song also!!

In short, don't judge her overall make-up as an artist from just the few songs you may have heard online.  Also, it is okay not to like her style of music but don't knock her as an artist.  Personally, I think she is the only female Hmong Artist we have that can cross generations, race and cultures.  A lot of her fans aren't even Hmong and we should be proud that she can cross the Asian-American boundaries.  I don't know if any of you guys know but she was recently featured on "BestoftheNext. com" which is an Asian-American artist website.  She is the only Hmong artist we have representing us with the likes of Paul Kim, J-Reyez, David Choi, etc.  I don't know about you guys, but that makes me freaking proud. I encourage you guys to go get her albums and really listen to them.  I think then you will realize how talented and deep of an artist she is and how lucky we are to have her in our Hmong community.  Just some food for thought!

http://bestofthenext.com/blog/19/botn-exclusive-interview-singer-dancer-jade-lee/
Dang where did you dig this up? A lot of Hmong artists these days are copycats of mainstream music, not much originality in their music. Some basic three to four chord progressions that people want to hear.

You and I need to get together, sit down and have a talk then...

Because I don't know where all her albums or songs are? You can show me. Then we can constructively take a deeper look at the different notes and songs that was written over a cup of joe.

“our worlds collided and in an instant your ocean had color because of my sky.”

—r.m. drake

HmongMusicFan1

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 02:32:05 PM »
Dang where did you dig this up? A lot of Hmong artists these days are copycats of mainstream music, not much originality in their music. Some basic three to four chord progressions that people want to hear.

Because I don't know where all her albums or songs are? You can show me. Then we can constructively take a deeper look at the different notes and songs that was written over a cup of joe.

Always down for a deeper discussion!  One thing we have to realize is that everybody is inspired by their generation of music. It does not matter if you feel that Jade is a copy cat of mainstream music or not.  Paradise and Sounders were copycats of mainstream rock and pop, and when they were up and coming people were crying for the days of Voltage.  Luj Yaj and Tou Ly Vakue were copycats of what was popular in Thailand at that time, the list goes on. People will always favor the generation they grew up loving, and that will always be the age old battle with music fans. I think people put too much on whether something is too copycat or not, these  artists are inspired by whatever makes them tick but that shouldn't make them any less of an artist.    I like Jade and the contemporary sound, you may like the older more traditional sound or whatever you are into, but I'm not saying those artists you like are any less credible.  We just need to appreciate all the different and diverse artists we have in our community and embrace them.  On a deeper note though, I don't know if you realize how many of the much younger Hmong generation is not even listening to music produced by any "traditional" Hmong artist. They are completely into K-pop or mainstream music because they feel that the Hmong music we have does not speak to them.  I have at least 15 nieces and nephews that do not even listen to Hmong music but love artists such as Jade, Proto J,  David Yang, etc and only now have started coming back to Hmong music. The point is, whether we like it or not, Hmong music is trending in this direction and every artist has their own inspirations for writing their music. Also kids like my nieces and nephews, I'm sure they are proud to be Hmong but are looking for something that represents them, we were all teenagers once and you can recall how often we listened, cried, laughed with the music we listened too. At that age, music is a sense of identity.  Especially in a culturally diverse world, our Hmong kids just want something that they feel is hip and represents them.  That is where artists like Jade will thrive. I'm 35 man, I come from the days of Voltage...but I appreciate the new sound and realize all things change. No point fighting it, just embrace it.  Whether you may feel  that it is too copycat or not it is happening, but isn't that the beauty of music though, you can listen to what you like and tune out those you don't. 

« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 02:44:16 PM by HmongMusicFan1 »

HmongMusicFan1

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 02:34:17 PM »

Also, all her music is on Itunes, google music, spotify,etc.  I bought all mine in person at the new years.

Advertisements