Advertisement

Author Topic: Hmong green and Hmong white-please be serious about the topic  (Read 24170 times)

Missterious

Re: Hmong green and Hmong white-please be serious about the topic
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 07:03:32 AM »
Some people get all giddy when greens speak but the green dialect doesn't impress me. I don't get all giddy over it. Some greens think they are cool cus they're green but i don't think so. You're only as cool as your personality no matter what color.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

sweetvoice

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 01:58:06 PM »
I don't discriminate against greens nor do i prefer greens, but my sisters ex relatives used to nag about why their son married a white hmong. Why the hate?

Well, base on my own experience with hmong green families they do nag about their sons dateing or marrying white Hmong females. There are many reasons why they feel this way about the question you are asking so I'm hoping maybe a hmong green person will respond to you and give you a better understanding.

sweetvoice

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 02:38:25 PM »
Some people get all giddy when greens speak but the green dialect doesn't impress me. I don't get all giddy over it. Some greens think they are cool cus they're green but i don't think so. You're only as cool as your personality no matter what color.

interesting point.....when i was involved with my ex's family for many years  I didn't think that I needed to speak green dialect...but I did try a little just for fun.....I didn't  notice anything about them acting cool cause they are green....but to be honest with you..I'm white and some of their views on certain things didn't attract me and I wasn't agreeing with ...at the end I realize that I wanted a soulmate who was not hmong green ...and it  is a decision I made for myself out of what I've learn in life and through my own experience and what I wanted for myself....

VIM

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 02:56:54 PM »
Nothing to it!  We all learn to get along just like Christians and Non-Christians.  It's really the personality of the person that makes his/her voice sweet.  With that said, I fall for all pojniam lub suab li os. :-\ ;D

VaajMoob

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 12:12:16 PM »
I am a green or Moob Leeg.  I married to a Hmong white lady.  One incident that turned my thinking completely was back in the early 90s.  I was asked to make a new year banner.  So I wrote it in Moob Leeg.  The banner, instead of the usually "Nyob Zoo Xyooj Tshiab," I wrote "Zoo Sab Xyoo Tshab,"  right? Happy New Year = Zoo sab xyoo tshab."  that made more sense to me.  Any way this guy, the new year chair, walked up to me and told me in rough/angry tone of voice, "sau ua ntawv hmoob dawb meb!!!.   I questioned. He angrily ordered.  since that time, I never speak white hmong again, even to my wife.

sweetvoice

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 06:06:26 PM »
I am a green or Moob Leeg.  I married to a Hmong white lady.  One incident that turned my thinking completely was back in the early 90s.  I was asked to make a new year banner.  So I wrote it in Moob Leeg.  The banner, instead of the usually "Nyob Zoo Xyooj Tshiab," I wrote "Zoo Sab Xyoo Tshab,"  right? Happy New Year = Zoo sab xyoo tshab."  that made more sense to me.  Any way this guy, the new year chair, walked up to me and told me in rough/angry tone of voice, "sau ua ntawv hmoob dawb meb!!!.   I questioned. He angrily ordered.  since that time, I never speak white hmong again, even to my wife.

You should of told him that you will write in both white and green instead of just carrying that feeling for all this time.....just a recommendation for the future...

PRINCESS.

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 06:12:19 PM »
If you are Hmong green how do you really feel about Hmong white. Please explain one true situation that you encounter with Hmong white that you dislike or disagree with

If you are Hmong white how do you really feel about Hmong green. Please explain one true situation that you encounter with Hmong white that you dislike or disagree with

I heard Green Hmongs sound romantic like the French and White Hmongs sound harsh and spit a lot like Germans.

LOL. Just kidding.

Offline dlabtsi_os

• Jr. Poster
  • AMAZZZZZZON!
  • Respect: +42
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2013, 06:50:08 PM »

You should of told him that you will write in both white and green instead of just carrying that feeling for all this time.....just a recommendation for the future...

It is not that Hmong Dawb are oppressive. Nor is the other way around. One of the consequence for Hmong RPA is that it is strictly written for Hmong White. However, there is nothing wrong writing to fit the pronunciation of Lees and Dlawb/Dawb.

This goes all the way back in the early 2000s when Hmong School project begins, and the Hmong community question whether to use Dawb RPA or Lees RPA. Many people argue why not both. Although that will be difficult. Some argue Lees is because majority of Hmong has accent similar of Moob Lees. Other argues that Lao Family specifically, like Vang Pao's family were Hmoob Dawb. So it is appropriate to use Hmoob Dawb RPA. Although I think the last one was a rumor. Whichever, in the end the standard RPA was Hmoob Dawb.

In my opinion, I think Hmong language needs to be reform somewhere in the future. That includes the RPA, Phajhauj, and the rumor of PajNtaub writings.

One of my personal pet peeves with Shong Lue Yang Phajhauj is that symbols are similar to Mon-Khmer writing. I just don't like the feeling misidentify with Khmer.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 06:55:54 PM by dlabtsi_os »

Test your might!

Lina

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2013, 12:38:20 AM »
I've heard good and bad reviews from both side. My parents wanted me to yuav moob lees xwb. While my friends parents wanted them to yuav moob dlawb xwb. I never cared so I never paid attention to the reasoning besides that each side thinks the other is phem phem. In the end, peb yog moob xwb so kuv tsis k. Ua tuab neeg tes yeej yuav muaj tug phem hab tug zoo. Whatever we may encounter is with that specific person only.

AverageTou

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 02:41:22 AM »
I feel like they are our friends, nieces/nephews, cousins, in-laws,... basically white or green they are my family.

Kuv yog Moob leeg tes kuv txawm yuav quas puj (or kuv tug nyaab "son's wife") yog nkauj Moob dlawb, tes kuv quas puj hab tug nyaab yuav tsum xyum has lug Moob leeg xwb.

Yog tias kuv tus muam/ntxhais (Hmoob lees) mus yuav tau tus yawm yij los sis vauv Hmoob dawb ces nkawd yuav tsum mus xyaum hais lus Hmoob dawb xwb.

Everything else can be compromise and learn from each other.

NorthToWest

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 02:25:44 PM »
Here is the truth about how Hmong Green and Hmong White is looked at back in the old days of Laos!  Green hillbilly uneducated ant wants to bit them because their pants are to long to the ground.  White educated leaders better of in society not hillbilly.  Hate me but that was how it was in the old days of Laos!  Just info in the topic.

Offline saki saki

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2014, 08:00:59 PM »
1st of all I'm HmnG Leng. But I speak both lingos. I speak Leng to my Leng people and I speak the white lingo to my whyte friends. For over 10-15+ years they never knew that I was HmnG Leng, until one day I meet and friend of a friend and we somehow started talking Hmng Leng.. Heehee. I can tell if a person is a double lingo..
Anywho, all my other buddies where like WTF........... . What kind of lingo is that???? LOL

I have no problems with double Lingo, However this thread would be best suited for the OG's.. to give you the answer which you seek of.

TruthAboveKnowledge

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2014, 04:35:41 AM »
A few months ago, I stopped over at Hmong Village to pick up a few items from the fruits and vegetable market and as I was heading out I realized that an older man was selling these two string bowed instruments we called "Xis Xaus".  It was the Hmong rendition of the Chinese Er Hu instrument.  As I picked it up and began to tune the instrument to play the chords, another couple stopped by to check the cool instruments.  He picked up an instrument and began to tune it also.  As I inquire the owner of the table-stand as to who made these instruments, the passerby played his music….I believed he was playing the tone from the "Striped Hmongs" or Hmoob Ntxaij.  While playing, he spoke to his significant other in White dialect while smiling.

As I continued to tune the instrument in my hand, one of the strings broke.  As the passerby looked at me in awe, he said to me in White Hmong "young man, do you even know how to play this instrument"?  Seeing as I have broken a string on this instrument, I quickly pulled my wallet out and handed the owner of the table-stand a $20 for compensating the broken string.  I quickly glance to see if any other part of the instrument was also affected by this mistake I made.  As I reconcile with the owner, the passerby told me in White Dialect Hmong that I was responsible for buying the whole instrument.  In my defense, I told him that the part being broken was the string and it was up to the owner of the table-stand to deem fit if I was required to purchased the whole instrument.  The passerby looked at me in disgust but as he did so, the owner spoke to me in my native Green Dialect that he didn't want anything for it because it had been the instruments that everyone was touching and tuning.  I insisted that it was only fair to be able to restore the string so that the instrument could be played again.  The owner agreed.

Not showing any sign of sympathy, the passerby told me that tuning the instrument did not require much adjustment.  He insisted that playing the instrument needed only to be in a particular chord.  To my amazement I couldn't believe what I was hearing.  I told the passerby that these instruments would need to be tuned in accordingly to whether he was a White Hmong or a Green Hmong and in particular…that these instruments were very particular as to the tone it can be played because it represented what region or location the instrument player came from OR what hill tribe he was representing. 

I suppose the White Dialect Hmong passerby had issues with me, not because of the instrument incident but actually by his prejudice that I was speaking in Green Hmong.  The tone he gave off was quite child-like as he was maybe in his late 40's….somewhere there.  The fact that he had beef with me on something he didn't own bother me not a bit but the fact that if he was going to school me on something, he should know his materials let alone if he was a straight up hater…well then I can't help those kinds of people.  One thing for sure is he isn't a Star Trek fan because if he were, he'd understand that accepting other people's difference is the key to exploring new life and that would be boldly go where no man has gone before.  Now as I reflect back to the incident and if my hand had quicker reflex I would of given him the Spock hand-sign of peace and prosper, you know the sign where he splits his hand between his middle-finger and the ring-finger.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 05:03:12 AM by TruthAboveKnowledge »

Offline joot

• Jr. Poster
  • Lonewolf & Cub
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2014, 10:48:49 AM »
^^ I could never ever understood the reasoning behind why some green dialect speaking Moob people would speak the white dialect while in the company of white dialect speakers...

TruthAboveKnowledge

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2014, 01:30:31 PM »
The only logical reason as to why a Green Hmong would talk with the white-dialect to a White-Hmong is because of humbleness and understanding.  Let alone, the pronunciation of words requires years of practice or young upbringing.  Words become a run-on play so the sentence structure will be confused by the ill-informed.

Advertisements