Advertisement

Author Topic: Online Courses VS Attending Class  (Read 2324 times)

yoursunrise4ever

Online Courses VS Attending Class
« on: October 03, 2013, 03:11:35 PM »
Tell me the pro and con of these two? I'm thinking about going back to school but was thinking about online courses instead. The reason being is that I do not have time to attend a class.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline dlabtsi_os

• Jr. Poster
  • AMAZZZZZZON!
  • Respect: +42
    • View Profile
Re: Online Courses VS Attending Class
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 05:56:57 PM »
Online class
Pros-
You don't have to come to class often.
It's flexible
It's good if you are into technology
Cons-
Make sure to check online
Subject to change
There isn't much communication
You are an old school

Attending
Pros-
Communication
Actual contact assignment
Tend to consistent date
Cons-
Fixed schedule
No into old school
Have to be in every class

There are more that I may have left out. And there hybrid classes as well. Choose the one best fit your lifestyle.  O0

Test your might!

IB THIAB NEEJ

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 05:58:41 PM »
If you have no time to attend class, try night classes. Online classes, I do not recommend.

yoursunrise4ever

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 11:16:53 AM »
If you have no time to attend class, try night classes. Online classes, I do not recommend.

Why is that?

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 12:10:53 PM »
Some classes work well with online classes.  Some do not.

How do you teach physics, chemistry, biology, and programming class online?  I think the one that work well are classes that you can read from textbook and recall facts from textbooks.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 12:03:16 AM »
Online courses are more flexible for sure. You sign in and you don't even have to sit there for the program to run. You can either tape it and watch it later or just goof off and never have to listen to anything said there. Yet the school's system shows that you've logged in and so you would get credit for at least having done that. 

But in-person class attendance is not flexible like that and you can't tape it with a recorder if you aren't attending the class. Once class is over, the professor doesn't repeat everything exactly as she just did during class. If you miss the class, you are going to miss the whole lecture. Your attendance will not be counted, if the school takes attendance for credit.

Which one is better depends on what you want out of it and your schedule, really.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Sifu

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 02:48:07 PM »
If you are serious about your education then don't take online classes if you have the choice.  I took some filler classes and they were more demanding in terms of participation for the same price as going into the classroom with the instructor and classmates.

minorcharacter

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 02:39:38 PM »
I would take online courses only if you already know the material well, or if it's not of much interest to you.  I took a few of my computer science courses online because my internship had already made me well knowledgeable on the topics covered.  It would've been a waste of time for me to attend class.  If you want to discuss other topics you can always arrange for office time or discuss them with your coworkers.

zena

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 01:24:50 PM »
Lots of good answers already.  Just want to add that it really depends on your learning style.  Sometimes sitting in class listening to a lecture can feel like a waste of time when you can just read from the book.  But, if you know you'll have questions and want them answered right away, then sit in class, because if you e-mail, you'll have to wait until the professor actually has time to sit down to read and reply and do the back and forth thing.

unmatchable

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 09:12:58 PM »
It can depend on what you're majoring in. Some classes are okay to take online, but some you will learn more in class. In class, it's fun, you get to talk and share.

unmatchable

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 09:15:00 PM »
Also, graduate courses are so much more fun than undergrad!

Advertisements