Advertisement

Author Topic: Recommend a book for me to read  (Read 7108 times)

Luther

Recommend a book for me to read
« on: October 11, 2013, 04:40:22 PM »
I haven't read a book in years...high school days.... :P

give me something smart, sexy, beneficial, and interesting. 

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

peachtrees

Re: Recommend a book for me to read
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 07:57:03 PM »
I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban
by Malala Yousafzai  (Author) , Christina Lamb (Contributor)

When the Taliban took control of the Swat Valley in Pakistan, one girl spoke out. Malala Yousafzai refused to be silenced and fought for her right to an education.

On Tuesday, October 9, 2012, when she was fifteen, she almost paid the ultimate price. She was shot in the head at point-blank range while riding the bus home from school, and few expected her to survive.

Instead, Malala's miraculous recovery has taken her on an extraordinary journey from a remote valley in northern Pakistan to the halls of the United Nations in New York. At sixteen, she has become a global symbol of peaceful protest and the youngest nominee ever for the Nobel Peace Prize.

I AM MALALA is the remarkable tale of a family uprooted by global terrorism, of the fight for girls' education, of a father who, himself a school owner, championed and encouraged his daughter to write and attend school, and of brave parents who have a fierce love for their daughter in a society that prizes sons.

I AM MALALA will make you believe in the power of one person's voice to inspire change in the world.

Like this post: -2

peachtrees

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 08:02:44 PM »
House of Leaves
by Mark Z. Danielewski

Years ago, when House of Leaves was first being passed around, it was nothing more than a badly bundled heap of paper, parts of which would occasionally surface on the Internet. No one could have anticipated the small but devoted following this terrifying story would soon command. Starting with an odd assortment of marginalized youth -- musicians, tattoo artists, programmers, strippers, environmentali sts, and adrenaline junkies -- the book eventually made its way into the hands of older generations, who not only found themselves in those strangely arranged pages but also discovered a way back into the lives of their estranged children.

Now, for the first time, this astonishing novel is made available in book form, complete with the original colored words, vertical footnotes, and newly added second and third appendices.

The story remains unchanged, focusing on a young family that moves into a small home on Ash Tree Lane where they discover something is terribly wrong: their house is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside.

Of course, neither Pulitzer Prize-winning photojournalis t Will Navidson nor his companion Karen Green was prepared to face the consequences of that impossibility, until the day their two little children wandered off and their voices eerily began to return another story -- of creature darkness, of an ever-growing abyss behind a closet door, and of that unholy growl which soon enough would tear through their walls and consume all their dreams.

peachtrees

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 08:11:40 PM »
I also recommend Alice Munro, who is the 2013 recipient of the Nobel Prize in Literature.

What's remarkable about her career is that she writes only short stories. Amazing writer.

Dear Life: Stories
by Alice Munro

A New York Times Notable Book
A Washington Post Notable Work of Fiction
A Best Book of the Year: The Atlantic, NPR, San Francisco Chronicle, Vogue, AV Club

In story after story in this brilliant new collection, Alice Munro pinpoints the moment a person is forever altered by a chance encounter, an action not taken, or a simple twist of fate. Her characters are flawed and fully human: a soldier returning from war and avoiding his fiancée, a wealthy woman deciding whether to confront a blackmailer, an adulterous mother and her neglected children, a guilt-ridden father, a young teacher jilted by her employer. Illumined by Munro’s unflinching insight, these lives draw us in with their quiet depth and surprise us with unexpected turns. And while most are set in her signature territory around Lake Huron, some strike even closer to home: an astonishing suite of four autobiographic al tales offers an unprecedented glimpse into Munro’s own childhood. Exalted by her clarity of vision and her unparalleled gift for storytelling, Dear Life shows how strange, perilous, and extraordinary ordinary life can be.

Luther

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 05:18:03 PM »
thanks. I'll look for these whenever I'm in the book store or isle.

the last one sounds very interesting O0

prima_donna

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 07:25:53 AM »
What's your genre?

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 04:47:31 PM »
I've been looking for an interesting read as well. I find that contemporary novels pale in comparison to the classics. Too pretentious? Predictable? Trying too hard? Please recommend a novel that is epic.

LeLe

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 01:17:30 PM »
50 Shades of Gray!

:D

prima_donna

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 07:26:27 AM »
I enjoyed some of the clsssier books; such as The Journey to the Center of Earth and Frankenstein.

Sifu

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 04:25:28 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0609809644?pc_redir=1398799346&robot_redir=1
Ghenghis Khan from a different view.  Better than I thought it was going to be.

minorcharacter

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 04:27:40 PM »
I recommend you not read?
Try "I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell" by Tucker Max

Offline ICU2

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 06:13:58 PM »
I haven't read a book in years...high school days.... :P

give me something smart, sexy, beneficial, and interesting. 

how about a magazine

"playboy"  ;D O0

Offline azn-guy

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 06:26:56 PM »

chidorix0x

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 08:42:26 PM »
My recommendation for any/ALL you HA'Mung kids (and Hmong/Mong too) is Patricia Symond's "Calling In The Soul".  (Arguably one of the BEST book out there that touches nearly on every aspect of what Hmong/Mong is, and is the (expected) norm.)

Advertisements