Advertisement

Author Topic: Moonangel's Book Reviews 2013  (Read 5666 times)

zena

Re: Moonangel's Book Reviews
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 09:35:34 PM »
Tried to read Les Miserable.  There were just way too many difficult words (not big words...just words that are tied to old language/words I normally don't see or hear) for me to comprehend so I'm going to have to put that one down and just watch the movie.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

zena

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 10:17:31 AM »
Her Mad Hatter (Paranormal - Fantasy Romance)
by Marie Hall

The writing style was nice.  I enjoyed how the author wrote this book.  Very descriptive and I got a sense of the character's personalities.  The storyline wasn't so good though.

It's about Alice and the Mad Hatter but in an erotic way.  I was saddened halfway through after learning about Alice's condition...ac tually there were clues of it in the beginning but I didn't think it'd actually go that direction so it kind of bummed me.  I found it interesting that this Alice was Japanese instead of the British blond we're so used to.  At about 75% I skimmed the book.

zena

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 08:57:51 PM »
Aleph
by Paulo Coelho

Not a bad read, but for some reason, a lot of Paulo's philosophy doesn't jive with me.  I totally understand his journey to find more in his life, and love the fact that his wife trusted him to go alone, but otherwise it seemed like it was his own personal journey through reincarnation.  I'm not sure if the message was made clear.  I'm not so big on reincarnation so maybe that's why it was a little difficult to try to understand him.  I was also kind of annoyed by Filal.  I had expected an epiphany of some sort at the end but that never happened.  It just ended.

I like the idea of the Aleph and I do think it exists in real life.  If I spend some time thinking, I can remember a bunch of times when I was in situations that felt like what Paolo described as the Aleph.  Paolo also had some good philosophical quotes and stories.  The one about the friend who shined the light on the other mountain to help his friend was nice.  It made me realize that those were the true friends...and that they are rare.  Everyone has their own agenda and when someone takes a moment from their busy life to support you, it means a million.

This book would be good for someone who feels like maybe there's more to life than where they are and need a little push to move forward.

zena

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 09:04:23 PM »
The Alchemist
by Paulo Coelho

Not a bad read also.  Again, some of Paulo's philosophy didn't jive with me but more of his philosophy stood out in this book than Aleph.  Those I couldn't relate to, I tried to understand them in a different light.

I totally understand what Paulo was getting at about finding that treasure.  It's so true.  And of course, the story is moved along with him finding the girl of his dreams.  That was interesting and made me smile.

This is a good read for anyone feeling lost, unsure of who they are, or just need some inspiration.

zena

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 05:51:44 PM »
The Soulkeepers
by G.P. Ching

This book started out slow but then got interesting.  The relationship between Jake and Malini grew pretty quickly but it was interesting.  I also liked the relationship between Jacob's Helper, Dr. Silva and the man she loves...kind of sad.  What I initially wasn't into was the talk of religion and how the story is around religion.  I think that made it hard for me to keep going but I'm glad I did because it was really interesting.

The story is about a boy named Jacob who lost everything in Hawaii and ended up moving to Paris, IL.  There he learns about his special power and meets a girl he quickly falls in love with, Malini.  He also ends up with a Helper who knows a lot about who he is.  There is fight between good and evil and loss. 

There are two more books to this series.  I will probably read them since I've already gotten myself immersed in this story.  Plus, I believe the 3rd book reveals what happens between Dr. Silva and the man she loves.  This books would be a good read for early teens and up. There's no super gory stuff and the love relationships are very cute and emotional but not too crazy like in the stuff in the Night Angel Trilogy.  Night Angel Trilogy is totally an adult read.

UPDATE:  I may not be reading the other books.  This book was a free download on Kindle but the other ones aren't.  If it ever shows up on the e-library, then I'll check it out.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 02:19:28 PM by moonangel »

zena

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2013, 02:07:17 PM »
The Black Prism (First book in the Lightbringer series)
Brent Woods

Started out very slow up until maybe 65% before the real action starts.  Initially, I wasn't planning on reading the series but since it got interesting, I'm going to have to.  :)

It's a fantasy series about Kip Guile and Gavin Guile.  They're people who have some crazy magical powers using colors.  Gavin is called the Prism because he pretty much can use all the spectrum of colors.  There's love, relationships, magic, war, etc.  Pretty interesting if given time to really understand what's going on. 

I still prefer the Night Angel Trilogy by this author.  It just moved a little faster and the storyline was easier to pick up.

zena

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2013, 08:54:51 PM »
Free Four (A short piece of the Divergent book from Four's point of view - the knife knowing scene)
by Veronica Roth

This was like a 5 page read describing the knife throwing scene through Four's eyes.

Not bad for a short clip.  I prefer the view from Beatrice's eyes.

zena

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2013, 01:37:41 PM »
The Time Keeper
by Mitch Albom

I read this book in 6 or 7 hours yesterday.  It's a really good read.  I found myself bawling.

This book is about time, obviously.  I enjoyed this author's voice and the story behind Sarah.  I thought he did a perfect description of what young love is.  I was amazed at how well I related to Sarah when I was around her age.  The other story was a little stiff for me because I didn't fully feel the reason why he wanted to extend his life.  I understood why, I just didn't feel any strong feelings toward his purpose.  I did like it when "they" looked into his future.  That was really powerful.  Wish I could say more but I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it.  It's a really short read so any clues would give out the story.

I've recommended this story to my husband.  I hope to share his thoughts.

Like this post: +1

zena

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 12:03:19 PM »
Tuesday's With Morrie
by Mitch Albom

This book was okay.  It was pretty depressing.  There were motivational points and I enjoyed the back story because it helped me understand who the characters were, but otherwise, it was pretty gloomy and sad.

This book is about life and death and love.  It's a very short story...I think I finished it within like 4 hours or something.  It reminded me of A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks.  The sad thing with Nicholas Sparks' book was that they were so young.

zena

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2013, 09:59:24 AM »
The Transfer: A Divergent Story
by Veronica Roth

This book is in first person from Four's point of view.  It's okay...I mean, I think because I'm so used to the first person from Tris's eyes, it's hard for me to truly feel it from Four's.  I didn't rate it very high because of that but the writing is still very good. 

Btw, the Divergent trilogy makes me think of the Matrix movie (which I loved) and that's how I envisioned the story in my head.

Here's a couple of clips from The Transfer:

"This is the fear landscape room," Amar announces without looking up. "A fear landscape is a simulation in which you confront your worst fears."
     Arranged on the table next to the machine is a line of syringes.  They look sinister to me in the flickering light, like they might as well be instruments of torture, knives and blades and hot pokers.

Here is a piece of Four in his simulation.  Marcus is his father.

A circle of light envelops me, and at its edge, I see worn gray shoes pacing.  Marcus Eaton steps into the edge of the light, but not the Marcus Eaton I know.  This one has pits for eyes and a gaping black maw instead of a mouth.
     Another Marcus Eaton stands beside him, and slowly, all around the circle, more and more monstrous versions of my father step forward to surround me, their yawning, toothless mouths open wide, their heads tilting at odd angles.  I squeeze my hands into fists.  It's not real.  It's obviously not real.
     The first Marcus undoes his belt and then slides it out from around his waist, loop by loop, and as he does, so do the other Marcuses.  As they do, the belts turn into ropes made of metal, barbed at the ends.  They drag their belts in lines across the floor, their oily black tongues sliding over the eges of their dark mouths.  At once they draw back the metal ropes, and I scream at the top of my lungs, wrapping my arms around my head.
     "This is for your own good," the Marcuses say in metallic, united voices, like a choir.
     I feel pain, tearing, ripping, shredding.  I fall to my knees and squeeze my arms against my ears like they can protect me, but nothing can protect me, nothing.

zena

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2013, 09:34:30 AM »
The Circle
by Dave Eggers

I couldn't put this book down once I started and finished it in one day (504 pages).  Someone on amazon reviewed and said that the story was like Facebook and Google got married and then gave birth to a baby and named it The Circle.  It felt exactly like that. 

I really enjoyed this sci-fi book.  Although I wish that the author would have been more technical about the technology and described their systems and stuff much better, I still felt that there was substance.  Mae, the main character is very naive and wants to move up the ladder at The Circle.  She loves it there but initially had a hard time bringing her private life and work life into one, and that's the soul purpose of The Circle: to become completely transparent.  She eventually makes it happen.

I was disappointed at the end because it didn't end well...or better yet, it ended as though there is going to be a second book. If so, I can't wait!  I want to know what happens to this social network monopoly and to Mae and the guy named, Kaldon, whom I was actually very intrigued by.  Annie, Mae's best friend had gone into a coma in the end due to the stress of the social network and the transparency of her life and her family's life.  I want to know what happens to her when (if) she comes out of her coma state.  She was a smart, strong, and determined woman too but just not as naive as Mae.  She (Annie) reminds me of most people who use the Internet.  We want to be out there but we also want our private life.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 09:42:13 AM by moonangel »

zena

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2013, 09:15:17 AM »
I was reading some more reviews on The Circle and some lady had reviewed that she thought the sex was corny.  I actually enjoyed all the sex parts.  They added interest and intensity to the storyline.  It's not the kind of romance book sex, all lovey dovey stuff.  It's more of 'I'm gonna bang you 'cause I haven't had any for awhile.'  Totally understand that.

zena

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2013, 01:52:02 PM »
Steelheart
by Brandon Sanderson

This sci-fi made me think of the movie, The Terminator.  An all steel world.  A collapsed and totally destroyed world.  Chicago became Newcago, an interesting but fitting new name, where the story takes place.

It started out boring but got interesting at about 90%.  I almost gave up reading because of the cliche: hot young female fighter with a temper and a personality but older than the protagonist who is mesmerized by her.  He dreams about her, thinks about her, can't get his mind away from her, etc.  You name it.  Boring.  This is definitely a guy author writing for guy readers without considering that a gal would read it.  With that said,  I did end up enjoying it near the end.  There was a twist to the cliche...so I give the author that.  But still, when it ended, the cliche was still there but I'm forgiving the author for it because the storyline did keep my curiosity. 

I'd say this is a young adult read so far.  There's nothing sexual or too disgustingly gruesome to make it a full adult read (like The Circle or The Night Angel Trilogy).

The next book, Firefight, will be availabe in the fall of 2014.  I'll keep my eyes out.  I'd like to know more about the epics' powers and how the world ended up in calamity.

zena

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2013, 10:08:13 AM »
Oryx and Crake
by Margaret Atwood

A dystopia sci-fi, this read was amazing.  This author writes so smoothly with such eloquent descriptions of a dsytopian world and of characters that seem so real.  This was truly an amazing book.

I'm not sure where to begin for a description.  It's just been one big wonderful read...a wow.

I'll try my best to give a short description:

It's about gene therapy, genetics, growing stem cells, etc.  It's about challenging God, about being the Creator, about love, sex, lust, lost, secrets, etc., about difficult but necessary choices. A viral epidemic washing over the world.  Most of all, it's about the writing.  I am just shocked at how well written it was.  The story gave me a lasting fear of what the real world could become...that's how amazing.

This story is a trilogy.  I am now on the 2nd book, The Year of the Flood << that's metaphorically speaking, btw. It's been very good so far.  I started it yesterday and am halfway through.  I hope to finish soon and start on the 3rd book, MaddAddam.  The trilogy is done is a very unique way that I am just in awe of it.  The trilogies I've read always starts with the next book beginning right where it ended.  This author does it differently and I'm enjoying her style.

zena

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2013, 10:26:13 AM »
Here's a clip of Oryx and Crake, where I kinda sobbed a little. 

Here's a cap before the clip, a flashback Jimmy had of a time when there was television, Internet, etc.  Oryx was in a sex trade when she was young...about 6.  Jimmy (the protagonist) fell in love with her when he saw her on tv doing a sexual "act" and had glanced at the camera with a certain stare that lingered on him.  He felt as though she was staring right at him, kind of asking him to save her.

"What about, did they ever..." (Jimmy)
     "Did they ever what?" (Oryx)
     "They didn't.  Not when you were that young.  They couldn't have."
     "Please, Jimmy, tell me what you are asking."
Oh, very cool.  He wanted to shake her.
     "Did they rape you?"  He could barely squeeze it out.  What answer was he expecting, what did he want?
     "Why do you want to talk about ugly things?"  she said.  Her voice was silvery, like a music box.  She waved one hand in the air to dry the nails.  "We should think only beautiful things, as much as we can.  There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around.  You are looking only at the dirt under your feet Jimmy.  It's not good for you."
     She would never tell him.  Why did this drive him so crazy?  "It wasn't real sex, was it?" he asked.  "In the movies.  It was only acting.  Wasn't it?"
     "But Jimmy, you should know.  All sex is real."

That so tears at my heart.  How Jimmy just loves her so much.

Advertisements