Advertisement

Author Topic: purpose of taking the dead body out of the casket at a hmong funeral?  (Read 12809 times)

yuknowthat

Re: purpose of taking the dead body out of the casket at a hmong funeral?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 06:10:54 AM »
that was one thing probablity i had hin mine while thinking about this too the other day..

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 05:11:09 PM »
that was one thing probablity i had hin mine while thinking about this too the other day..

Yeah.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

NorthToWest

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 02:51:15 PM »
They took him out to serve him breakfast lunch dinner... O0

Offline thehotone

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 07:43:57 AM »
i think the only time the body is palce outside the casket is when they ter-kev (show the way). once the body is placed inside the casket, they do not take it out anymore. 

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 12:04:30 PM »

And snacks in between, too? lol

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2014, 12:05:00 PM »
i think the only time the body is palce outside the casket is when they ter-kev (show the way). once the body is placed inside the casket, they do not take it out anymore. 

Hm...do they even take it out for that?

"...

mronline

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2014, 10:10:37 PM »
never heard of it....must be something newly created ritual....weir d....

for real? all my life, i have not even heard or seen of such thing. most be that the living trying to hard to place the crowds and but forgot to prepare the dead's funeral in good moral manners.

yuknowthat

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2014, 07:54:19 AM »
And snacks in between, too? lol
:2funny: tiger bite lol..

HmongSandal

This is creepy hmong traditional is taken to extreme measures. Im glad I live in the USA to attend a hmong funeral. Back in Laos, there was no "Freezer" to freeze the body so with-in 3 or so days... the body of the decease would rapidly rot, literally rot. Unlike the USA, there is freezers we can store the decease into until we're ready for the funeral services. Also years ago, my grand father would tell me how Hmong funerals would be like back in Laos compare to the USA. Since there is no lighting in Laos, or Thailand ect.... they would put the decease on a table high as a dinner table, and light a candle. You wouldn't want to be awake ALONE at night!! Especially with that smell, plus people would just hold the funeral service inside their own homes. I would go insane after the funeral service is done, super scared to stay in that house! But yet again, this traditional Hmong Funeral is really scary.  >:D Don't look at the decease if you have a weak spirit or feel like you cannot bare with it after you've looked at it. I heard you can keep on feeling scared and sick!  :o

chidorix0x

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2014, 06:19:38 PM »
I agree. I think the OGs are trying hard to prove to us younger generations that we Hmong have some traditions. ;D

I was thinking about this a lot earlier today and couldn't think of any other reasons why the corpse would be lifted back and forth from the tomb in that manner, except that the OGs are just trying to prove some traditions to the younger generations.

Epic fail.  The OGs aren't trying to prove anything to the younger ignoramus generation.  If anything, they are trying to uphold tradition.

As for "WHY" they kept searching the casket, taking the body out, it is probably to ensure someone (outsiders/disgruntle in-laws etc.) did not put things (metal/foreign objects) inside the casket to potentially bring upon bad omens to the deceased and his/her children/posterity.  (Yes, this is the MAIN reason, Hmong belief, why something like this could happen -- body taken out and casket thorough examined.  Anything else is definitely out of the norm, and is unheard of, an anomaly.)

I'm thinking some more about this. I think the above-mentioned family was just sloppy and didn't quite take care of all things before putting the corpse inside the coffin. Then they remembered something wasn't yet done and took it out to do that part; then they thought they were already done. But then they realized something else had yet to be done, etc.

Epic fail.  (If true, then this family must be borderline "mentally challenged", if not completely.  Most/all Hmong know better.)

Epic fail.

Fail. This (Taw Kev/Qhuab Ke) is done in advance prior to placing the body inside the casket.

Yes, the body is never taken out of the casket once placed inside. (They do not take it out anymore.)

Advertisements