Advertisement

Author Topic: Dining Room Upgrade - DIY  (Read 5178 times)

DeceiversChick

Dining Room Upgrade - DIY
« on: November 02, 2013, 02:13:57 AM »
We had to update our dining room to match our new kitchen. We are aiming for a Contemporary Look. The only thing we did here was painted our black dining table to white and changed the curtains.

Before:

After:

DIY:
The paint and white ikea legs cost was around $40 total
Geometric Curtains bought at Marshalls was $50 for both windows

Not DIY:
The Wall Color ( Gray with blue undertone)- was part of our kitchen project
Curtains to the right - part of our kitchen project
White chairs, glass top, dining light - No change

Color Scheme: White, Gray, & Purple
The only thing we need to touch up is to remove the curtain wood frame. My husb made it for the last curtains and it doesn't match the contemporary look we are aiming for. So we will be removing this wood frame soon and having exposed curtains with white or silver double rods. Also we are looking to paint our trims white.

In progress:

Constructive Criticism is welcome. We are still looking to add or remove items to make it look more contemporary. We need a painting or some sort of Wall Art for the corner but haven't decided yet.

:)

« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 02:20:44 AM by DeceiversChick »

Like this post: +2

Adverstisement

DeceiversChick

Re: Dining Room Upgrade - DIY
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 03:54:50 PM »
So today we are adding some texture to the dining table. I will update this once it's complete. The white dining table has sorta blah with the glass counter top so we will be adding texture in between the table and glass top to make it look better.  O0

Like this post: 0

aboo

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 11:50:21 PM »
I LOVE it woman!

I'm a big fan of those sliding window curtains.  I had put in my own too from Ikea.

How about installing a track on your other window to match the sliding door area?

DeceiversChick

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 10:46:48 AM »
I LOVE it woman!

I'm a big fan of those sliding window curtains.  I had put in my own too from Ikea.

How about installing a track on your other window to match the sliding door area?

I actually I don't like the color limitation of the sliding curtains but we didn't have a say since it was part of our kitchen project. So we are leaving it as is. I have two big windows on the left wall so I wasn't sure if it would match and didn't like the color scheme. I really do not like Purple but it's the color scheme that was chosen. 

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +200
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 11:31:42 AM »
 On the "after pix" Did you remove the slidding door or just put up curtains? 

Your original wasn't that bad.. you can remove the red curtain to something else and you'll still end up w/ a very nice kitchen.

Thank you for sharing.

But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

Lavender

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 02:42:28 PM »
BEFORE:
I think the before picture looks brighter.  It seems like the room is larger with the glassy sliding door.  The curtain looks nice and quality.  The black table is workable with these white chairs.  The green painting isn't bad either.  I think it is also something that makes the room look larger and spacious.  However, the paint color of the after picture would probably work better.

AFTER:
I like the new paint color on the wall.  The white table is nice.  The orchid flower is beautiful.  Perhaps put some plate mat on the white table to create more colors. 

Overall rating:  The glassy patio door is good.  If curtain is needed, perhaps using matching curtains for both windows.  I personally like the old curtain better, maybe in a different color; it has a quality look. The new look is also nice.

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 11:46:45 PM »
I like the before better because it's bigger with seeing the sliding door very open to bring in the brightness.... . The color wall is not bad and maybe just change the curtain to,lighter pattern/ design like the after one.  The table just need to be paint white like u did in the after pix. 

DeceiversChick

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 11:27:21 AM »
On the "after pix" Did you remove the slidding door or just put up curtains? 

Your original wasn't that bad.. you can remove the red curtain to something else and you'll still end up w/ a very nice kitchen.

Thank you for sharing.
The sliding door is still there only the old curtains were removed.

The left curtain is a dark brown.

BEFORE:
I think the before picture looks brighter.  It seems like the room is larger with the glassy sliding door.  The curtain looks nice and quality.  The black table is workable with these white chairs.  The green painting isn't bad either.  I think it is also something that makes the room look larger and spacious.  However, the paint color of the after picture would probably work better.

AFTER:
I like the new paint color on the wall.  The white table is nice.  The orchid flower is beautiful.  Perhaps put some plate mat on the white table to create more colors. 

Overall rating:  The glassy patio door is good.  If curtain is needed, perhaps using matching curtains for both windows.  I personally like the old curtain better, maybe in a different color; it has a quality look. The new look is also nice.

The After photo was taken at night time so it was dark. The before was during the day time hence why it looks brighter.

As for the plate mats we are using something else but the after photo was just a quick photo. It's still a work in progress.

I like the before better because it's bigger with seeing the sliding door very open to bring in the brightness.... . The color wall is not bad and maybe just change the curtain to,lighter pattern/ design like the after one.  The table just need to be paint white like u did in the after pix. 
As i stated above I took the after photo at night time so it looks dark. Also I took the photo closer so it looks small.

Once It is finally completed I will repost it again. We changed some things up.

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 09:11:44 AM »
love it!

Offline Ron Burgundy

• Sr. Poster
  • Handsome Man's Club Applicant
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 09:30:58 AM »
Not feeling the white table and white chairs (the black was bleh as well ::) ).  If you would have painted the table that purple like on the sliding curtain, then you would have been really styling!!

Peaches

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 03:20:06 PM »
That is an amazing transformation . I love it!

Offline yubnag

• Elite Poster
  • Redamancy
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 11:20:40 AM »
I love your lamp! I like the before better; I guess it's because the purple is too cool for my taste but it's still a very nice make over!

Making a hundred friends is not a miracle. The miracle is to make a single friend who will stand by your side even when hundreds are against you.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 04:47:42 PM »
Although I enjoy the contemporary look it lacks character because there is no personal touch to the room. Try adding your personal character to it so the room looks more unique and not cold. 

zena

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 03:55:49 PM »
I like the curtains in the second photo.  I'm not much of a purple color for wall...I kind of prefer the green.  I personally like blues for kitchen.  Mine's not blue but it will be someday.  :)

Advertisements