Advertisement

Author Topic: What are your study habits?  (Read 7478 times)

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
What are your study habits?
« on: November 13, 2013, 01:33:59 PM »
I'm trying to change my study habits and trying to improve my grades. I'm off this semester but I'll be back in Spring semester. What are your guy's study habit like when it comes to getting things done/staying on task and keeping up the grade?

Like this post: 0
"Noj zaub yuav rau roj, ua neeg nyob yuav tsum ua siab loj"

Adverstisement

Offline dlabtsi_os

• Jr. Poster
  • AMAZZZZZZON!
  • Respect: +42
    • View Profile
Re: What are your study habits?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 01:37:28 PM »
I'm trying to change my study habits and trying to improve my grades. I'm off this semester but I'll be back in Spring semester. What are your guy's study habit like when it comes to getting things done/staying on task and keeping up the grade?

Well majority of people cram at the last second. For me I do it on the weekend or finish my assignment one day earlier. Use anytime after getting some rest to do your homework. It is impossible to increase your grade by doing Good quality. Consistence is the key for passing a class.

Test your might!

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 01:40:24 PM »
Well majority of people cram at the last second. For me I do it on the weekend or finish my assignment one day earlier. Use anytime after getting some rest to do your homework. It is impossible to increase your grade by doing Good quality. Consistence is the key for passing a class.

I try doing things at the last moment too but I need to change that and actually do them right after class. I get really lazy when I come home and don't want to do homework. I was thinking maybe after class I should stay on campus and work on any homework I have before coming home.

Sleipnir

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 03:21:45 PM »
key to success is finding something you enjoying studying about and can go to town being a geek over... and then repetition.

My freshman year, I had pretty bad habits but I always studied everyday on the core classes for my major.

When I was a senior, I woke up thinking about it, talked about subject matters with classmates, hung out with people in my classes, spent extra hours in the lab, etc...  When I was a senior, we only had 12 people still in the major (BS in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology).  So we all hung out a lot and just studied together and talked about material until everyone understood materials.  My professors were also very engaging with the senior class too, so take advantage of talking about subject matter outside of class with them, believe me, they love what they teach.

myang994

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 09:34:41 PM »
key to success is finding something you enjoying studying about and can go to town being a geek over... and then repetition.

My freshman year, I had pretty bad habits but I always studied everyday on the core classes for my major.

When I was a senior, I woke up thinking about it, talked about subject matters with classmates, hung out with people in my classes, spent extra hours in the lab, etc...  When I was a senior, we only had 12 people still in the major (BS in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology).  So we all hung out a lot and just studied together and talked about material until everyone understood materials.  My professors were also very engaging with the senior class too, so take advantage of talking about subject matter outside of class with them, believe me, they love what they teach.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only Hmong person with an interest in the Biochemistry/Molecular Biology/Cellular Biology field lol.

I don't always do my studies right before an exam. What helps is to be able to study with one or two other person. Usually I never go beyond 3 people for the reason that it becomes unproductive. I am the kind to do what it takes to get that "A" whether it be staying up all night to study. Although, I find that's more of the undergraduate way of studying. In Graduate school, I find that these kids here go to sleep early and wake up super early (like 2AM early!) to study. What also helps in your learning process is to be able to draw it out what you're studying--make a visual out of it. I always tell myself 'if I can't explain to someone else, I don't actually understand it'. A lot of the time it's the ability to understand the way you learn as well. What I also do is try to integrate what I learn to things outside of the classroom. The reason for that is because the REAL learning really happens outside the classroom; in class we tend to just soak it in. But Sleipnir have an effective strategy as well and that is to hang out and talk with the people who share the same interest as you.

minorcharacter

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 12:43:44 PM »
Last minute, all night.  Ha, no really I wish I could help but as a Computer Science graduate a lot of our courses and tests have been restructured.  I don't think of most us really studied, or at least I didn't anyways.  All my exams became open book towards my later years in college, the point is that you shouldn't have to memorize materials, rather you should learn how to properly use them. 

With that being said, the only real way I would suggest studying is to just do your homework and review it at least once a week.  I don't even bother with those last minute cram sessions anymore.  As a programmer we constantly had to redo, or re evaluate a lot of homework so it sort of just stuck on, and before I knew it I was dreaming in code.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 12:22:09 AM »

What were your habits before? If they worked, don't change them. ;D

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

bulbasaur

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 10:09:56 PM »
If you are a full-time student, then you have to treat it like a job/investment.  After all, you are paying for it.  Even if you are on scholarship, you earned it and are spending it. 

I like tangibles, so here is my list of tangibles for full-timers...

1.  Treat the school day like a workday.  8-5 with a lunch break.  Stay away from "home."  The temptation for a nap or a short break is too easy.  Sometimes your day might run until 6 pm, but that is still fine.  Work during the day, and enjoy your evenings.  Some people are night owls, but you are just going to have to get over that.  You are in school to get into a system, so you might as well get started now. 

2.  Be realistic.  Many people take on a course load that is too much.  Some people can take 25hrs a semester and excel.  However, some people can't, especially those with other interests beyond school.  Take an appropriate course load so you can be successful; you've got the time. 

3.  Set Goals.  Don't study for the pure sake of studying.  For example, before you even start your study session, tell yourself what pages you are going to cover, and don't leave until those pages are done.  Again, treat it like work.  If 5pm rolls around and you aren't done (homework), you have to bite the bullet and keep going until it is done. 

4.  Never miss class.  Again, treat it like work.  If you miss work, you would get reprimanded, or even fired.  Treat class the same way.  Also, simply being exposed to the material will help.  Sometimes there are good reasons to miss a class....being sick is not one of them. 

5.  Get Organized.  Even if you have impeccable memorization, getting an organizer is just good practice.  It helps eliminate procrastinatio n.  It'll also give you a venue to write down your goals.  It'll also list your free hours.  Organizing your free hours is just as important as your To-Do List.  It'll also help you budget your money.  The worst thing for a student is to be poor.   

6.  Network.  This isn't really a study habit, but this is the one thing many people fail to do while in school.  For many people, professional success has more to do with networking skills than actual skills.  Also, networking keep your mind focused on your class material.  If you find yourself into a study group, even better. 

7.  Exercise.  People may think this is a weird one, but a healthy body actually helps improves brain functions.  Sure, this isn't true for everyone.  However, it helps a lot of people.  Also, it gives your brain a chance to rest.  Talk about rest....

8.  Sleep.  Did you know that driving sleep deprived is worse than driving drunk?  The mind operates best with optimal sleep.  Once again, find out how many hours you need, and fit that into the schedule. 

As for part time students....Go od luck.  Everyone is different.   

« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 10:23:10 PM by bulbasaur »

Like this post: +2

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 10:10:44 AM »
I actually am doing good right now for my study habits. First exam is this Thursday LOL! Open book too!

Tos

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 10:27:17 AM »
I finished my B.S. in Chemistry in 3 years and bulbasaur has the best answer here.

REN

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 11:22:20 PM »
cram the week before big tests, and pray the teacher curves the grades lol

you're in luck if your class has open book/open note tests. that way instead of really studying all you need to do is write down/mark the important stuff and refer to them later.

don't allow any free time between your last study session and your current class. have at least an hour before the exam begins to study the material and don't give yourself breaks or distractions cause it'll throw you off. gotta stay in the zone!!

boO

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 04:47:50 AM »
Stay away from ph

Like this post: +1

Sifu

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 02:57:37 PM »
I'll keep it simple.  Study for about an hour everyday on the subject matter.  When its time to take your exams you will always be ready with little prep time.
Never cram, its a waste of time.  You either know it or do not.

Advertisements