Advertisement

Author Topic: Scholarships...  (Read 24215 times)

Offline luvlylisa

• Elite Poster
  • ...luv me or hate me...
  • Respect: +267
    • View Profile
Scholarships...
« on: November 26, 2013, 02:24:16 PM »
...how many of you got scholarships (big or small) in high school and/or college?  What kinds?  How much was your award(s) (if u care to share)?

Like this post: 0
可爱的丽莎。。。爱我还是恨我

Adverstisement

myang994

Re: Scholarships...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 09:46:09 PM »
I received a few scholarships when I was in college. Enough where I ended up with only $5,000 of school loan after I finished my undergraduate. Usually each semester of school for me in undergraduate was about $5,500 (I lived at home with my parents during undergrad so I did not have to worry about paying dorms/apartments). I also finished undergraduate in 4 years so you can do the math how much I received for scholarships.

I saw your graduate school post on another thread. I want to let you know that I am in graduate school now with no tuition; everything is paid for through a fellowship with a monthly stipend. So it's possible to go to graduate school without paying a dime, and instead, GET paid. For these kinds of things, it'll get pretty competitive. But it's not impossible.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 03:35:45 PM »
I received a few scholarships when I was in college. Enough where I ended up with only $5,000 of school loan after I finished my undergraduate. Usually each semester of school for me in undergraduate was about $5,500 (I lived at home with my parents during undergrad so I did not have to worry about paying dorms/apartments). I also finished undergraduate in 4 years so you can do the math how much I received for scholarships.

I saw your graduate school post on another thread. I want to let you know that I am in graduate school now with no tuition; everything is paid for through a fellowship with a monthly stipend. So it's possible to go to graduate school without paying a dime, and instead, GET paid. For these kinds of things, it'll get pretty competitive. But it's not impossible.

Congratulation s! Don't go to law or medical school.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline luvlylisa

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 06:17:36 PM »

awww, that's awesome! O0

Though it would be something I'm not opposed to...I am actually asking out of curiosity since I work with high school students and right now our seniors are working on and researching scholarships.  I have find that many of our students (or students in general) don't understand the benefits of spending a few hours a day filling out applications or working on essays.  I swear this day and age these kids want you to do everything for them.  Sad part is, if you don't do it--they won't either.  (But in no way am I filling out applications nor writing essays for them.  I'll help and sit along side them but if they don't care--especially after I give them the info--then too bad for them.)

可爱的丽莎。。。爱我还是恨我

myang994

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 10:35:48 PM »
Congratulations! Don't go to law or medical school.

Thanks!

myang994

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 10:40:58 PM »
awww, that's awesome! O0

Though it would be something I'm not opposed to...I am actually asking out of curiosity since I work with high school students and right now our seniors are working on and researching scholarships.  I have find that many of our students (or students in general) don't understand the benefits of spending a few hours a day filling out applications or working on essays.  I swear this day and age these kids want you to do everything for them.  Sad part is, if you don't do it--they won't either.  (But in no way am I filling out applications nor writing essays for them.  I'll help and sit along side them but if they don't care--especially after I give them the info--then too bad for them.)

I see. Scholarships are indeed competitive. Takes a good writer to convince someone to give you money. I recommend the Gates Millennium Scholarship, Pell grants, TIP grants, etc. I had also received a Funds For Wisconsin Scholars (FFWS) scholarship that paid a good chunk of my undergraduate, but if I recall correctly FFWS recipients are randomly picked from disadvantaged/low income families..I cannot remember correctly. There are so much opportunities out there for educational funding. And I know what you mean by helping others and them not caring so much or not having the ambition to follow through.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 07:43:37 PM »

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Wi_sweetguy

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 10:50:32 PM »
My sister is at UW-Madison and her refund of free money after tuition is 7K.

Like this post: +1

Offline luvlylisa

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 07:55:42 PM »
My sister is at UW-Madison and her refund of free money after tuition is 7K.
I've had two of my kids go there with a full ride (tuition is paid for but room n board were not) as they got the Chancellor and Powers Knapp Scholarship. 

可爱的丽莎。。。爱我还是恨我

minorcharacter

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 12:19:50 PM »
I've had a few scholarships totally to about $11,000 total.  Most of them were won through essays and creative writing.  Others were earned through volunteering.  I'll try and find the name of them.  It's been a few years.

Offline luvlylisa

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 12:52:19 PM »
I've had a few scholarships totally to about $11,000 total.  Most of them were won through essays and creative writing.  Others were earned through volunteering.  I'll try and find the name of them.  It's been a few years.
wow, that's great!  Good for you.  I hope my students are having luck and actually doing the work necessary for free money. 

可爱的丽莎。。。爱我还是恨我

Wi_sweetguy

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 03:43:15 AM »
My generation arrived in the states pretty late around the 90s, so we are all still pretty much in college.  My sisters and first cousins are all in college, and they won many scholarships ranking 1 in Milwaukee's top high schools.  Both my sister and cousin took 1st with full ride including my older brother. Another cousin of mine also took 1 in her high school getting a full ride to DC then into Harvard Grad. So far, their futures are looking bright. I'll ask them which scholarship they got.

Scholarships I've received.
Life Impact Scholarship 5000K every year.

As for my brother, he won the city's Harley Division Scholarship and got intern during the summer. He also got a full ride with another scholarship to Madison.

Hey, who knows, if your kids go to UWMadison. they might know my sisters. haha..

Offline luvlylisa

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 10:23:00 AM »
My generation arrived in the states pretty late around the 90s, so we are all still pretty much in college.  My sisters and first cousins are all in college, and they won many scholarships ranking 1 in Milwaukee's top high schools.  Both my sister and cousin took 1st with full ride including my older brother. Another cousin of mine also took 1 in her high school getting a full ride to DC then into Harvard Grad. So far, their futures are looking bright. I'll ask them which scholarship they got.

As for my brother, he won the city's Harley Division Scholarship and got intern during the summer. He also got a full ride with another scholarship to Madison.

Hey, who knows, if your kids go to UWMadison. they might know my sisters. haha..
WOW! :o That's awesome!  O0

I tell me kids every year--if you work hard and do what u need to--study+put in effort+test well+be active/get involved+get good grades=potential free money for school. 

Two of my kids who are now juniors got into UWMadison with a full ride (well, as I stated they got the Powers-Knapp Scholarship which pays for tuition so they have to cover room & board).

Most of my students are too lazy though to fill out anything.  ::) I always tell them a few hours a day/week will not kill you.  It's free money but just because it's free doesn't mean it'll just fall into your lap.  You gotta "fight" for it.

可爱的丽莎。。。爱我还是恨我

minorcharacter

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 10:43:54 AM »

I think everyone should strive to be as dedicated and hard working as your family.  Congrats WI_SweetGuy.  Wow, it's pretty awkward calling another guy sweet. 

couchpotato

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 11:05:13 AM »
In college, I received a $5,000 scholarship to study abroad from the Gilman Scholarship.  :)

Advertisements