Advertisement

Author Topic: Scholarships...  (Read 24278 times)

Offline luvlylisa

• Elite Poster
  • ...luv me or hate me...
  • Respect: +267
    • View Profile
Re: Scholarships...
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 11:12:15 AM »
In college, I received a $5,000 scholarship to study abroad from the Gilman Scholarship.  :)
Cool.  So did you go and if so, where?

Like this post: 0
可爱的丽莎。。。爱我还是恨我

Adverstisement

couchpotato

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 11:19:07 AM »
Cool.  So did you go and if so, where?

Of course I did! Who wouldn't? I studied abroad in China. :) I was even lucky enough that the college I attended made it so the cost of studying abroad for a semester cost the same as a semester at home, airfare included. That meant $5,000 spending money for me. :D ;D

minorcharacter

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 11:26:15 AM »
Of course I did! Who wouldn't? I studied abroad in China. :) I was even lucky enough that the college I attended made it so the cost of studying abroad for a semester cost the same as a semester at home, airfare included. That meant $5,000 spending money for me. :D ;D

That's awesome.  My sister was actually just in China to study abroad last summer and she had received the Gilmann Scholarship as well.

Offline luvlylisa

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 11:34:48 AM »
That's awesome!  I studied abroad in China too!  Where did you go exactly?  What a great deal.  Though I didn't have a scholarship my semester was similar that I was paying my usual tuition and doing so my tuition was more than what it was to attend the actual university I was attending in China (GuangXi Normal Univeristy in Gui Lin) thus I was getting a monthly stipend of 800RMB.

I had to pay for my airfare though (well, my dad did).

可爱的丽莎。。。爱我还是恨我

couchpotato

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 11:35:35 AM »
That's awesome.  My sister was actually just in China to study abroad last summer and she had received the Gilmann Scholarship as well.

That's awesome. Where in China did she study?

I love it that we are seeing more and more young Hmong people studying abroad. :) It definitely broadens a person's view of the world.

Offline luvlylisa

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2014, 11:36:09 AM »
Nice! 

Wait, is scholarship for incoming freshman or just anyone who wants to go abroad (to china?)?

可爱的丽莎。。。爱我还是恨我

Offline luvlylisa

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2014, 11:38:56 AM »

I love it that we are seeing more and more young Hmong people studying abroad. :) It definitely broadens a person's view of the world.
Since I've been back (which was over 5 years ago) I've been telling anyone and everyone of my students to most definitely go--doesn't have to be China--just go! 

I've done some peer mentoring on the side for students (especially those who went through my same program) going abroad.  I had an old friend help me when I went as he had gone years prior. It really helped me with my travels and made my experience much better.

可爱的丽莎。。。爱我还是恨我

couchpotato

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2014, 11:44:04 AM »
That's awesome!  I studied abroad in China too!  Where did you go exactly?  What a great deal.  Though I didn't have a scholarship my semester was similar that I was paying my usual tuition and doing so my tuition was more than what it was to attend the actual university I was attending in China (GuangXi Normal Univeristy in Gui Lin) thus I was getting a monthly stipend of 800RMB.

I had to pay for my airfare though (well, my dad did).

That's cool. I've seen your journal in the travel forum but have yet to check it out.

I studied at Xiamen University in the Fujian Province. It's one of the special economic zones. I loved it there. They had a no honking law, so it wasn't as noisy as other parts of China. It was also really clean in comparison to the rest of China. The best thing though, was that the campus was beautiful and it was by the ocean. Our dormitory had a nice view of the ocean.

We also received a monthly stipend, but I can't remember how much it was. I had an awesome time there.

Have you been able to go back?

couchpotato

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2014, 11:46:13 AM »
Since I've been back (which was over 5 years ago) I've been telling anyone and everyone of my students to most definitely go--doesn't have to be China--just go! 

I've done some peer mentoring on the side for students (especially those who went through my same program) going abroad.  I had an old friend help me when I went as he had gone years prior. It really helped me with my travels and made my experience much better.

I was interested in going because two other (older) Hmong students had studied on the same program.

I think it's wonderful that you are encouraging your kids to do it. I encourage all the college kids i know to do it if they can.

I was lucky in one respect though- my best friend was able to go with me so I wasn't so lonely. :)

Offline luvlylisa

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2014, 11:51:15 AM »
That's cool. I've seen your journal in the travel forum but have yet to check it out.

I studied at Xiamen University in the Fujian Province. It's one of the special economic zones. I loved it there. They had a no honking law, so it wasn't as noisy as other parts of China. It was also really clean in comparison to the rest of China. The best thing though, was that the campus was beautiful and it was by the ocean. Our dormitory had a nice view of the ocean.

We also received a monthly stipend, but I can't remember how much it was. I had an awesome time there.

Have you been able to go back?
Yes, my "blog" is up but it's more about my personal growth than anything.  LOL :D

Due to my poor planning I didn't really get to prepare (nor save) for China so I didn't really get to go anywhere "fun" and touristy.

I did LUV my experience and have not been able to go back.  Every time I hear anything China-related my heart melts and flutters a little.  I miss it a lot and want to go back badly but sadly I know when and if I do it won't be the same ppl the ppl who made my experience what is was are no longer there (other international students). BUT that doesn't mean I still can't go. O0

I teach Chinese for our summer program (since summer of 07) so I get some time to "get into it" again and "relive" it as well as maintain what little Chinese I have now.

可爱的丽莎。。。爱我还是恨我

minorcharacter

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2014, 11:51:44 AM »

Wait wait sorry.  Haha got my sister's mixed up.  The one that went to China was actually doing an internship in Beijing.  It was the one that studied abroad in Japan that won the Gilmann award.  She was in Osaka.

Alas, I bailed out on my chance to study abroad during my Freshmen year in college.  I'm planning on visiting Japan in the Spring to finally see what it's like there.

Offline luvlylisa

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2014, 11:55:06 AM »
I was interested in going because two other (older) Hmong students had studied on the same program.

I think it's wonderful that you are encouraging your kids to do it. I encourage all the college kids i know to do it if they can.

I was lucky in one respect though- my best friend was able to go with me so I wasn't so lonely
. :)
Oh lucky you.  The semester I went abroad there were 5 of us (from the like 120 students going every where else: Germany, England, Mexico, Australia, France, etc) who were going alone in our programs. 

I don't regret going alone though.  I know it would have been a very different experience had I gone with others (friends or not).  Going alone I feel made me a much stronger person and it made me take more risks and allowed me to be more open to things.  I know if I had other ppl with me I'd do whatever they wanted or would have been easily swayed to do/no do things.

可爱的丽莎。。。爱我还是恨我

Offline luvlylisa

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2014, 11:57:32 AM »
Wait wait sorry.  Haha got my sister's mixed up.  The one that went to China was actually doing an internship in Beijing.  It was the one that studied abroad in Japan that won the Gilmann award.  She was in Osaka.

Alas, I bailed out on my chance to study abroad during my Freshmen year in college.  I'm planning on visiting Japan in the Spring to finally see what it's like there.
studying abroad or not....if u get the opportunity to travel--do it!  Whether it's enjoyable or not...it most def can be a life-changing experience--a lot of self growth there to discover.

可爱的丽莎。。。爱我还是恨我

couchpotato

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2014, 12:15:38 PM »
Yes, my "blog" is up but it's more about my personal growth than anything.  LOL :D

Due to my poor planning I didn't really get to prepare (nor save) for China so I didn't really get to go anywhere "fun" and touristy.

I did LUV my experience and have not been able to go back.  Every time I hear anything China-related my heart melts and flutters a little.  I miss it a lot and want to go back badly but sadly I know when and if I do it won't be the same ppl the ppl who made my experience what is was are no longer there (other international students). BUT that doesn't mean I still can't go. O0

I teach Chinese for our summer program (since summer of 07) so I get some time to "get into it" again and "relive" it as well as maintain what little Chinese I have now.

Oh lucky you.  The semester I went abroad there were 5 of us (from the like 120 students going every where else: Germany, England, Mexico, Australia, France, etc) who were going alone in our programs. 

I don't regret going alone though.  I know it would have been a very different experience had I gone with others (friends or not).  Going alone I feel made me a much stronger person and it made me take more risks and allowed me to be more open to things.  I know if I had other ppl with me I'd do whatever they wanted or would have been easily swayed to do/no do things.

Thankfully, the program I went through was specifically designed for American students from certain colleges around the U.S. Because of that, the curriculum was pretty easy and as a part of our learning, we traveled to different parts of China (all paid for with our tuition money). We traveled to Quanzhou, Xian, Beijing and Shanghai so I got to see a lot of the tourist sights. My best friend and I were lucky enough to be able to extend our plane tickets home (free of charge, thanks to China Airlines) and got to travel to the Yunnan Province afterwards.

You are correct in your assessment. I went back in 2011 (nine years later) and it wasn't quite the same. The campus was as beautiful as ever and looked almost exactly the same. However, not having the same people who I had shared my first experience there with made it feel very different. :)

My Chinese still sucks.  :D ;D

lol. Your sisters are quite lucky. How did they like their experience?

If you have a layover in Taiwan during your trip, let me know. ;)

minorcharacter

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2014, 12:23:03 PM »
lol. Your sisters are quite lucky. How did they like their experience?

If you have a layover in Taiwan during your trip, let me know. ;)
They loved it, and that just made me feel worst about never having gone back then.  Oh well, three more months.  For sure, I'll let you know if I have a layover in Taiwan.  I definitely want to visit Taiwan and China anyhow, and I might go there in the fall.

Advertisements