Advertisement

Author Topic: Scholarships...  (Read 24305 times)

Offline luvlylisa

• Elite Poster
  • ...luv me or hate me...
  • Respect: +267
    • View Profile
Re: Scholarships...
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2014, 12:28:28 PM »
Thankfully, the program I went through was specifically designed for American students from certain colleges around the U.S. Because of that, the curriculum was pretty easy and as a part of our learning, we traveled to different parts of China (all paid for with our tuition money). We traveled to Quanzhou, Xian, Beijing and Shanghai so I got to see a lot of the tourist sights. My best friend and I were lucky enough to be able to extend our plane tickets home (free of charge, thanks to China Airlines) and got to travel to the Yunnan Province afterwards.

You are correct in your assessment. I went back in 2011 (nine years later) and it wasn't quite the same. The campus was as beautiful as ever and looked almost exactly the same. However, not having the same people who I had shared my first experience there with made it feel very different. :)

My Chinese still sucks.  :D ;

If you have a layover in Taiwan during your trip, let me know. ;)
Wow, that's great that u got to do all that and it was all included.

So, wait...you're in Taiwan now? ??? Cool!

Like this post: 0
可爱的丽莎。。。爱我还是恨我

Adverstisement

Wi_sweetguy

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2014, 09:37:52 PM »
Luvlylisa,
You must be a teacher? Which grade level are you teaching? School? Thanks.

couchpotato

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2014, 09:28:28 AM »
Wow, that's great that u got to do all that and it was all included.

So, wait...you're in Taiwan now? ??? Cool!

lol. Yes.

Offline luvlylisa

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2014, 10:37:02 AM »
Luvlylisa,
You must be a teacher? Which grade level are you teaching? School? Thanks.
LOL though I refer to my "kids" a lot, I'm actually not a teacher.  Not a "real" one.  I am the Student Advisor for a pre-college program called Upward Bound.  I only "teach" in the summer when we have our residential summer program (like summer school and summer camp in one)--where I teach Chinese to students either already taking it or will be starting in the fall.  So most of my students are at a basic level which thankfully I can teach.  LOL :D

You can read more about it here at this thread since a pher had questions and comments about it. (And someone technically called me out about it. LOL)
http://www.pebhmong.com/forum/index.php/topic,345042.0.html

可爱的丽莎。。。爱我还是恨我

Offline luvlylisa

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2014, 10:42:01 AM »
lol. Yes.
Oh wow!  So cool!  O0

I know Taiwan is rather developed and compared to where I was there are more English-speaking ppl...but how can you say your Chinese isn't that good? Mandarin? Cantonese?  I dunno any cantonese though I've been told it's a lot easier to learn (especially for hmong ppl) than mandarin bc it's said to be even more like the hmong language than mandarin.   but i'm biased with my mandarin ears.  LOL :D

so what do you do in Taiwan?  I'm all curious and intrigued now. :)

« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 03:41:39 PM by luvlylisa »

可爱的丽莎。。。爱我还是恨我

myang994

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2014, 02:16:51 PM »
LOL though I refer to my "kids" a lot, I'm actually not a teacher.  Not a "real" one.  I am the Student Advisor for a pre-college program called Upward Bound.  I only "teach" in the summer when we have our residential summer program (like summer school and summer camp in one)--where I teach Chinese to students either already taking it or will be starting in the fall.  So most of my students are at a basic level which thankfully I can teach.  LOL :D

You can read more about it here at this thread since a pher had questions and comments about it. (And someone technically called me out about it. LOL)
http://www.pebhmong.com/forum/index.php/topic,345042.0.html

I am surprise that you are a student adviser in Upward Bound. I am an alumni of the Upward Bound program since 2008. If I have the opportunity to, I would go back and try to teach something for the UBers, but in graduate school I no longer have the time to do so until after my dissertation defense (if I still want to teach that is). Where is the UB program that you work for? I went to the one at UW-Stevens Point back then. I definitely agree with some of the comments listed on the thread that you have a link to in that most of the people who had gone through this program had failed in their pursuit of higher education. However to some students it had really driven the success of their higher education. At least for me it did.

I am also glad that you are encourage students to study abroad. In college I was too focus on getting through undergraduate that I never even consider studying abroad for the reason that I thought studying abroad was a "waste of credits" since I could have taken credits that were more relevant to my area of study. After finishing college, I do so the advantages of the experience that others receive through studying abroad. If I could re-live my college moments, I would definitely study abroad.

Wi_sweetguy

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2014, 08:15:32 PM »
if you are an advisor for the Madison upper bound then you might know my little sister. She went there last summer.

couchpotato

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2014, 12:08:02 AM »
Oh wow!  So cool!  O0

I know Taiwan is rather developed any compared to where I was there are more English-speaking ppl...but how can you say your Chinese isn't that good? Mandarin? Cantonese?  I dunno any cantonese though I've been told it's a lot easier to learn (especially for hmong ppl) than mandarin bc it's said to be even more like the hmong language than mandarin.   but i'm biased with my mandarin ears.  LOL :D

so what do you do in Taiwan?  I'm all curious and intrigued now. :)

I teach English, so I am speaking it day in and day out. It's not recommended that you speak Chinese with the kids, otherwise they go crazy and will refuse to speak English to you. That's what their parents are paying good money for. Besides, I don't have blonde hair and blue eyes. It's not cool if I know Chinese.  ;D I only know the bare minimum. Otherwise I use English all the time. It's too complicated when they start asking me too much in Chinese, so I always ask if someone speaks English first (when I am out). It's worked out pretty well.

And yes, learning Chinese is probably easier for us than white folks. It's definitely easier for us to learn the phonics because we are already used to making similar sounds in Hmong. :)

Offline luvlylisa

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2014, 01:53:37 AM »
if you are an advisor for the Madison upper bound then you might know my little sister. She went there last summer.
sorry no, I'm not in the Madison area but i am in the 608 area.

可爱的丽莎。。。爱我还是恨我

Offline luvlylisa

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2014, 01:58:45 AM »
I teach English, so I am speaking it day in and day out. It's not recommended that you speak Chinese with the kids, otherwise they go crazy and will refuse to speak English to you. That's what their parents are paying good money for. Besides, I don't have blonde hair and blue eyes. It's not cool if I know Chinese.  ;D I only know the bare minimum. Otherwise I use English all the time. It's too complicated when they start asking me too much in Chinese, so I always ask if someone speaks English first (when I am out). It's worked out pretty well.

And yes, learning Chinese is probably easier for us than white folks. It's definitely easier for us to learn the phonics because we are already used to making similar sounds in Hmong. :)
Yes, true they do pay u to teach their kids English so if ur speaking in Chinese (or if the kids know they can get away with speaking Chinese) then u'd have mad parents indeed.

Yeah, when u don't have blonde hair and blue eyes it's not so much a shock factor if u know the language.  Personally, I'd want to learn the language myself (even if I had not studied prior to my abroad experience).  However, when ur out and about it is rather easier to resort to English--but I found that wasn't always something I could count on.  I'm sure in Taiwan you have a better chance finding someone who speaks English--even if it's a little.

So how long have you been there and how long r u to be there for?  Do you like it?

可爱的丽莎。。。爱我还是恨我

Offline luvlylisa

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2014, 02:03:42 AM »
I am surprise that you are a student adviser in Upward Bound. I am an alumni of the Upward Bound program since 2008. If I have the opportunity to, I would go back and try to teach something for the UBers, but in graduate school I no longer have the time to do so until after my dissertation defense (if I still want to teach that is). Where is the UB program that you work for? I went to the one at UW-Stevens Point back then. I definitely agree with some of the comments listed on the thread that you have a link to in that most of the people who had gone through this program had failed in their pursuit of higher education. However to some students it had really driven the success of their higher education. At least for me it did.

I am also glad that you are encourage students to study abroad. In college I was too focus on getting through undergraduate that I never even consider studying abroad for the reason that I thought studying abroad was a "waste of credits" since I could have taken credits that were more relevant to my area of study. After finishing college, I do so the advantages of the experience that others receive through studying abroad. If I could re-live my college moments, I would definitely study abroad.
I'm a '99 alum. I am the Student Advisor for my exact program that I was in in high school--kind of cool actually.  There's only one staff who is still here from when I was in high school so sometimes it's hard seeing him as my colleague when he was an authoritative figure for so long.  I work at the UW-La Crosse one.

Yes, I luv talking about my abroad experience with my kids.  In all honesty, my work is about giving them the support and encouragement they need as well as making sure they know what options they have in front of them (just about anything almost).  Like I tell them, I can't force them to do anything I can only give them options and hope that they make the best decision for themselves.

可爱的丽莎。。。爱我还是恨我

Wi_sweetguy

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2014, 10:43:11 PM »
Hey LuvlyLisa,
My sister got the Chancellor Scholarship. She's finishing up and could possibly be going into law school by next year.

Offline luvlylisa

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2014, 11:11:30 PM »
Hey LuvlyLisa,
My sister got the Chancellor Scholarship. She's finishing up and could possibly be going into law school by next year.
That's great to hear WI_sweetguy! O0 kudos to ur sis!

可爱的丽莎。。。爱我还是恨我

Wi_sweetguy

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2014, 12:26:51 AM »
This is a really nice post.  I received the MMAC for UWM and the Power Knapp for WISC.  I took the MMAC because it covered everything and the power knapp was only tuition.  Basic economic decision...tak e the one with least risk.

I had everything good going into college and I wrecked it my first year but I somehow managed to complete my degree in 4.5 years by overloading for 3 years and making it up.  It taught me a lot about being mentally tough and fighting adversity once again.  I want to add that life is a marathon.  Finishing 4 year college is merely a step.  Unless you have a MD, the most important part is about to begin once you finish school - your career.  Where you go with your career is a lot more difficult than getting a degree as the competition is much stiffer - intellectual ability and effort alone will not define success.

Congrats bro! I see a lot of Hmong people in college now in days.  It is an automatic thing for Hmong people to go to college.  I see Hmong people doing very well in the next 10 years and I'm hoping at least 80-85% of high school graduates will go to college.   

Offline luvlylisa

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2014, 05:55:53 PM »
This is a really nice post.  I received the MMAC for UWM and the Power Knapp for WISC.  I took the MMAC because it covered everything and the power knapp was only tuition.  Basic economic decision...tak e the one with least risk.

I had everything good going into college and I wrecked it my first year but I somehow managed to complete my degree in 4.5 years by overloading for 3 years and making it up.  It taught me a lot about being mentally tough and fighting adversity once again.  I want to add that life is a marathon.  Finishing 4 year college is merely a step.  Unless you have a MD, the most important part is about to begin once you finish school - your career.  Where you go with your career is a lot more difficult than getting a degree as the competition is much stiffer - intellectual ability and effort alone will not define success.
Yes, glad to hear you got those scholarships but yes, some are conditional indeed. Sometimes we may slip but it seems that it taught you something so all in all it was a lesson learned. Kudos to you and your achievements! O0 However, the next step most def after college is definitely the scariest and a real test.

Thanks for sharing your story. :)

可爱的丽莎。。。爱我还是恨我

Advertisements