Advertisement

Author Topic: 'Modify' HIV helps young patient with Cancer  (Read 11694 times)

prima_donna

'Modify' HIV helps young patient with Cancer
« on: November 28, 2013, 01:29:03 AM »

SCIENCE IS SO AMAZING.

Doctors used a disabled form of HIV to reprogram a child’s immune system to kill her cancer. Emma Whitehead had been battling leukemia for two years and has now been in remission for seven months thanks to the groundbreaking medical treatment.“Different to using chemotherapy to achieve those goals, you take out some of the body’s immune cells and you basically reprogram them. You put some genetic material into them that teaches the cells to attack that cancer,” says Dr. Sanjay Gupta. “They’re using a sort of deadened form of the HIV virus to transport that genetic material into cells.”The experimental procedure was developed by researchers at the University of Pennsylvania, and they’ve tested it on 12 patients so far with varying results. The $20,000 price tag is cheaper than a bone marrow transplant.Exp laining the science behind the body’s reaction, Gupta says, “The person also, often times, gets very sick. They get the immune system really blown up. It’s a long hospitalizatio n, it’s a tough hospitalizatio n.”Gupta also points to the possible implications for patients who relapse. “If you have these cells in your body that are now trained to be able to recognize that cancer, if the cancer were to ever come back, it is possible these cells could immediately attack it. So it’s kind of, almost like a cancer vaccine….imagine that.”

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12/10/hiv-helps-save-young-cancer-patient/

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

six

Re: 'Modify' HIV helps young patient with Cancer
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 03:05:19 PM »
Interesting.  I wonder about the technical details of how it works and why varying results??

Zafirlukast

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 02:01:49 PM »
This isn't a miracle cure to the ears.  There are a lot of mysteries with HIV and we do not yet have a cure.  It is last resort and desperate measures to use HIV.  With thousands of viruses out there, I don't know why they would choose HIV and not a less harmful virus.  Dead and altered viruses such as the polio virus have been able to revert back into a virulent form and cause disease.  HIV have reverse transcriptase, which can pick up DNA and revert/fix itself.  Besides, HIV has the ability to mutate and cause shifts and drifts in it's DNA, making a vaccine impossible.  Hopefully dead HIV virus don't come back to life, because if it does, you're going to be in big trouble along with the terminal cancer you've got.

prima_donna

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 01:58:27 PM »
This isn't a miracle cure to the ears.  There are a lot of mysteries with HIV and we do not yet have a cure.  It is last resort and desperate measures to use HIV.  With thousands of viruses out there, I don't know why they would choose HIV and not a less harmful virus.  Dead and altered viruses such as the polio virus have been able to revert back into a virulent form and cause disease.  HIV have reverse transcriptase, which can pick up DNA and revert/fix itself.  Besides, HIV has the ability to mutate and cause shifts and drifts in it's DNA, making a vaccine impossible.  Hopefully dead HIV virus don't come back to life, because if it does, you're going to be in big trouble along with the terminal cancer you've got.

Its still in the work. I dont know how effective this method will be but its a break through in cancer research. Its a virus that tags surface proteins so that T cells can destory cancer cells. Depending on the type of cancer regular cells can't tell the differences between a cancer cell and a normal cell. Thus why cancer cells can grow and take over. But if you can train T-cells or activate them to recongize surface protein then theres a chance for the immune system to fight naturally. Its another alternative to chemotherapy. The sad thing with Chemotherapy its not guarantee to kill all cancer cells. Patients are expect to do check ups after chemo. Most of the time if your cancer comes back your in higher risk because your body will be too weak to fight it off the second time. It makes me hopeful that there can be another way to treat it.

Zafirlukast

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 02:19:26 PM »
Its still in the work. I dont know how effective this method will be but its a break through in cancer research. Its a virus that tags surface proteins so that T cells can destory cancer cells. Depending on the type of cancer regular cells can't tell the differences between a cancer cell and a normal cell. Thus why cancer cells can grow and take over. But if you can train T-cells or activate them to recongize surface protein then theres a chance for the immune system to fight naturally. Its another alternative to chemotherapy. The sad thing with Chemotherapy its not guarantee to kill all cancer cells. Patients are expect to do check ups after chemo. Most of the time if your cancer comes back your in higher risk because your body will be too weak to fight it off the second time. It makes me hopeful that there can be another way to treat it.
Remember that HIV attacks Helper T cells.  So, what good is it to use something that normally attacks T cells when you need the T cells to function and do it's job?  Viruses are also intracellular parasites and only use surface proteins for attachment to gain access into the cells.  In the normal human body, antibodies made by B cells attach to foreign antigens, which already tags them for T cell phagocytosis.  Hence, we already have an intact built in immune system serving that purpose.  They use viruses to attack/bring apoptosis inside the mechanisms of the cell, and not the outer surface.  The regular flu virus, which is a weak virus can already perform this mechanism with little harm but a mild flu like symptom, which the patients get over it in a few days to a week.  I really think they are just trying to justify, unhorrify, and paint a glory picture of the horrendously tainted HIV virus.  Using a killer HIV virus of humans to kill cancer is not the first approach or an ethical approach in rendering a cure.

prima_donna

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 02:24:25 PM »
Remember that HIV attacks Helper T cells.  So, what good is it to use something that normally attacks T cells when you need the T cells to function and do it's job?  Viruses are also intracellular parasites and only use surface proteins for attachment to gain access into the cells.  In the normal human body, antibodies made by B cells attach to foreign antigens, which already tags them for T cell phagocytosis.  Hence, we already have an intact built in immune system serving that purpose.  They use viruses to attack/bring apoptosis inside the mechanisms of the cell, and not the outer surface.  The regular flu virus, which is a weak virus can already perform this mechanism with little harm but a mild flu like symptom, which the patients get over it in a few days to a week.  I really think they are just trying to justify, unhorrify, and paint a glory picture of the horrendously tainted HIV virus.  Using a killer HIV virus of humans to kill cancer is not the first approach or an ethical approach in rendering a cure.

Yes I understand there are risks involve but for the time being if they can fine tune it I think it would be a break through. And theyre not dealing with a killer HIV strain. Its a modify strain.

Zafirlukast

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 02:29:33 PM »
Yes I understand there are risks involve but for the time being if they can fine tune it I think it would be a break through. And theyre not dealing with a killer HIV strain. Its a modify strain.
Modify or not, HIV have the ability to unmodify itself.  But, yeap, nice read.  Hopefully the research will be promising.  I still think they should of used a flu virus first and use the HIV last.   :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Offline dianahmuas

• Elite Poster
  • i love when you love me...
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 02:29:59 PM »
i'm skeptical about the end results in a decade... :o :o :o

"Be pain, Live prosperously, Be merried"

"Live pain, Be prosperous, Live merrily"

Zafirlukast

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 02:36:38 PM »
i'm skeptical about the end results in a decade... :o :o :o
They had "varying results," which many skeptics can simply say be contributed to a placebo alone.  If they live, we will know in a decade if they get full blown AIDS or not.

Offline dianahmuas

• Elite Poster
  • i love when you love me...
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 02:38:47 PM »
They had "varying results," which many skeptics can simply say be contributed to a placebo alone.  If they live, we will know in a decade if they get full blown AIDS or not.

those are my thoughts...

"Be pain, Live prosperously, Be merried"

"Live pain, Be prosperous, Live merrily"

prima_donna

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 02:58:13 PM »
Knock on wood.. well how else are vaccines made. Their either diasble or a dead form that is inject for immune reprogramming.

Zafirlukast

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 04:17:59 PM »
Knock on wood.. well how else are vaccines made. Their either diasble or a dead form that is inject for immune reprogramming.
Vaccines for many diseases are made of dead or disabled form of the virus.  Once the body encounters it, it forms antibody and you become immune.  However, it is impossible to inject a weaken or dead HIV and make a vaccine out it.  Because it mutates so fast, the vaccine made today will not work against it tomorrow along with the hundreds of mutated variants that exist.  The point is.... the fultility of injecting a HIV virus that don't have a vaccine and be made a vaccine out of.

prima_donna

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 05:58:41 PM »
Vaccines for many diseases are made of dead or disabled form of the virus.  Once the body encounters it, it forms antibody and you become immune.  However, it is impossible to inject a weaken or dead HIV and make a vaccine out it.  Because it mutates so fast, the vaccine made today will not work against it tomorrow along with the hundreds of mutated variants that exist.  The point is.... the fultility of injecting a HIV virus that don't have a vaccine and be made a vaccine out of.
That's your assumption.

Theres no reason to stop research. Its a small stepping stone, another alternative if chemotherapy doesn't work.

Zafirlukast

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 06:07:18 PM »
That's your assumption.

Theres no reason to stop research. Its a small stepping stone, another alternative if chemotherapy doesn't work.
it is not an assumption.  It is a fact and is why there is no vaccine for HIV.  There is simply no way to make an effective vaccine for HIV, or else we would have one by now.

prima_donna

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 06:16:14 PM »
it is not an assumption.  It is a fact and is why there is no vaccine for HIV.  There is simply no way to make an effective vaccine for HIV, or else we would have one by now.

I dont know why an HIV vaccine hasn't been created. In mechanisms of marking or tagging cancer cells, they could utilize that part.

Advertisements