Advertisement

Author Topic: Moonangel's Book Reviews 2014  (Read 26902 times)

zena

Re: Moonangel's Book Reviews 2014
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2014, 02:07:23 PM »
Graceling
Kristin Cashore

It was okay. I was a bit irritated by the protagonist, Katsa, at first because she was too manly and too unhuman and her personality just didn't make sense, but eventually things got better with her. Overall, I enjoyed the storyline. I was a bit disappointed at what had happened to Po since I got the sense that he could sense things and assumed he would know in advance to maneuver around the animal. The ending ended too fast and there were moments in there when things just dragged on.

Another thing, this book is so much about Katsa not caring to get married.  It seemed in almost every chapter, it was about her clearly stating she didn't care for it.  It got to the point where it was just annoying as heck.  We know already that she's not the type to get married.  She doesn't have to answer to anyone who asks but she always ends up in a debate match about it with whomever brings it up.  It's almost as if the author wants us to know that anyone with Katsa's personality traits doesn't have to get married.  I guess I just don't understand that mind frame that getting married, she'll lose her freedom.  I kind of see it that she might actually gain more freedom and wisdom, especially if the marriage is to Po.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 03:49:52 PM by moonangel »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

zena

« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2014, 12:58:14 PM »
I tried to read the next book in the graceling trilogy, Fire, but it's just not working.  The story is just so horribly written.  The writing is good, it's the storyline that's absurd.  I so wanted to finish this trilogy but it's not gonna happen.  :(

Moving on to a new book.

zena

« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2014, 12:11:18 PM »
The Red Knight (The Traitor Son Cycle #1)
Miles Cameron

This was a really fun book to read. I liked how the words flowed. It was almost like poetry. At first I couldn't decide if I liked the Red Knight. He flirts a bit too much with the ladies. The romance between him and the Novice was a bit weak too. But, other than that, I enjoyed the plot, the fighting, the descriptions (esp. about the knights fashion), and the characters.

I read the story on a Kindle and found tons of errors in misspells, double words (the the, etc.), missing or incorrect punctuations, etc. It was annoying. There was even a sentence that repeated. That added some frustration.

The second book, The Fell Sword, is out and I want to read it so bad but it's not at my library.  It just came out earlier this year, March 2014, so I can understand why it's not at my library yet.  I don't know if I can wait.  I might have to just buy it but can't decide if I should buy the Kindle version or the actual book.  I feel like if I buy the actual book, then I'll have to buy the first book too just to have it.  LOL!  Oh boy...decision s decisions!

Will be back to share some of my favorite clips.

zena

« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2014, 01:44:38 PM »

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 03:51:22 PM by moonangel »

zena

« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2014, 12:00:15 PM »

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 03:51:35 PM by moonangel »

zena

« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2014, 12:02:18 PM »
Fahrenheit 451
Ray Bradbury

A really good book. A little too short but the story behind it was very interesting.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 03:51:46 PM by moonangel »

zena

« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2014, 12:08:58 PM »
The Wide Awake Princess
E.D. Baker

Read with my 2nd grader. She loved it and so did I. The story is basically about some of the famous fairytales with a twist.

Offline tRouBLe

• Administrator
  • Welcome to PH! 😜
  • Respect: +1038
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2014, 06:29:35 PM »
Hey, MA.  Some of the books you've listed sounds interesting.  I have read one of them, which was "The Handmaid's Tale."  When I have more time, I may have to check a few of the other ones out.  Thanks.   O0

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~ John Wooden

zena

« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2014, 09:40:41 AM »
trouble, what did you think of "The Handmaid's Tale"?  I preferred "Oryx and Crake" by the same author.  I think she writes interesting (and personally, mind blowing) apocalyptic novels.

If you'd like some recommendation s from my list, try "The Rose Garden" and "The Ghost Bride."  :)

Offline tRouBLe

• Administrator
  • Welcome to PH! 😜
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2014, 03:12:55 PM »
It was an interesting yet horrifying concept that women would/could become pawns to that type of government AND not even having an identity/rights/voice of their own, but are properties of certain elite person(s).  It was also only a matter of time and inevitable that people would rebel against the inequalities, unfairness, and disparities in a totalitarian society.  Conclusively,  I thought it was a good book and thought-provoking.

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~ John Wooden

zena

« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2014, 11:31:39 AM »
It was an interesting yet horrifying concept that women would/could become pawns to that type of government AND not even having an identity/rights/voice of their own, but are properties of certain elite person(s).  It was also only a matter of time and inevitable that people would rebel against the inequalities, unfairness, and disparities in a totalitarian society.  Conclusively,  I thought it was a good book and thought-provoking.

O0

zena

« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2014, 05:06:20 PM »
Ender's Game
Orson Scott Card

Great book.  It really tore at me and had a lasting feeling.  I finished the book in pretty much two days.  Right away I rented the movie and that was pretty good too.

In general, it's a sci-fi story about a young boy, Ender, who is trained to fight an alien race.  But, there are lots of twists and turns and really makes you think about war.  I totally love Ender's character.  I love how the author created him with real human thoughts and emotions that I can relate to or at least understand why he feels those emotions.

Offline tRouBLe

• Administrator
  • Welcome to PH! 😜
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2014, 09:25:42 PM »
MA, you mentioned that I should check out "The Rose Garden" and "The Ghost Bride."  Which of these would you recommend more?

zena

« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2014, 11:09:06 AM »
trouble, they are equally good.  "The Rose Garden" is a historical paranormal and "The Ghost Bride" is a cultural/paranormal.

I would also recommend "The Bone Season" by Samantha Shannon, which is a sci-fi post apocalyptic paranormal.  I actually like this one better than the two above.  Although, they are all very good.

And, of course, "Oryx and Crake" by Margaret Atwood (who wrote "The Handmaid's Tale").

I think I recommended the first two because they were shorter than the others.  I tend to read very long books and don't want to overwhelm anyone with crazy long books.

zena

« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2014, 02:04:35 PM »
Enchantment
Orson Scott Card

A twist on the fairytale, Sleeping beauty. It was a good read and I enjoyed it.

Advertisements