Advertisement

Author Topic: Moonangel's Book Reviews 2014  (Read 26464 times)

zena

Re: Moonangel's Book Reviews 2014
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2014, 04:51:14 PM »
My library isn't carrying the 3rd book yet of the Lightbringer series and I sooooooooooo badly want to read it.  I might have to just buy it.  Amazon and B&N sells it for like $25.  That's a lot of money for a book.  :-\  The Kindle version is pretty expensive too.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

zena

« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2014, 10:56:36 AM »
My Little Pony: Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell
G.M. Berrow

Read with daughter (first grader). Great storyline and wonderful moral.

zena

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2014, 10:57:31 AM »
The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard #1)
Scott Lynch

It took me longer than usual to finish this book. I listened to the audio book so that could be why (my first audio since forever so took some getting used to). At first the story was a bit slow and I almost gave up but midway, things picked up, and I actually really enjoyed it.

Now, on to the next book in the trilogy.  :)

zena

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2014, 03:20:47 PM »
My Little Pony: Rainbow Dash and the Daring Do Double Dare
G.M. Berrow

Cute story.  Read with my first grader.  Rainbow Dash learns a hard lesson.

zena

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2014, 03:28:59 PM »
Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard #2)
Scott Lynch

A very long story but wasn't so bad.  I listened to the audio...would have preferred to read it.  There's a tone of cussing in this book.  More than needed I think but it made the characters.

I thought the friendship/brotherhood between Locke and Jean was pretty cool.  They both lost people they loved.  Jean saved Locke from dying (in book #1) and in this book Locke saved Jean but not in the same way.  In the first book they initially didn't get along.  Jean was math smart and bigger and tougher.  Locke was a thin skinny guy but he had guts and ideas.  I liked how their friendship build.

Quote conversation between Locke and Jean near the end of the book.

“ I want to hug you. And I want to tear your gods-damned head off. Both at once." (said Jean)

"Ah," said Locke. "Near as I can tell, that’s the definition of 'family' right there.”

zena

« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2014, 07:47:46 PM »
The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard, #3)
Scott Lynch

I read this books because it had a lot of good reviews...and I also liked the cover.  :)

But, I just didn't find the story to be that interesting.  Here's my review on Goodreads:

I liked this book but I found it somewhat cliche: the older redhead who's tough and hot and the younger skinny guy who can't resist her. The story between Locke and Sebetha is brought out. I didn't feel their relationship to be that strong though. I felt as though Locke was overly obsessive with Sebetha to the point where it was kind of freaky. It wasn't a romantic true love kind of feeling. Sebetha was too hard and strong willed and she didn't seem like a real person. Her feelings were hidden...or maybe she didn't have much feelings. The author stated that she liked Locke but I'd rather feel what he means. Yeah, she put him on a boat to "protect" him but in the end, after the voting, nothing happened to make me think that the boat incident was a good or not-good decision. In fact, all their fighting was meaningless.

The back story about Locke and Sebetha didn't pull me closer to either. It was an interesting story but nothing too exciting.

At the end with the story about Patience and Falcon, what was that all about? Is there going to be another book about these mages?

The writing, character consistency, and humor is why I'm giving it 3 stars.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 03:47:29 PM by moonangel »

zena

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2014, 12:14:17 PM »
The Valley of Amazement
Amy Tan

My review on Goodreads:

** spoiler alert ** I enjoyed this novel but it was very depressing and hopeless in all directions. The historical parts of it was what I enjoyed the most: the clothing, the descriptions of the homes, brothels, roads, people, etc. They were all very descriptive and created a clear visual of China. I also found it fascinating that Chinese families have this really strong tie to their lineage and heritage and can't/won't break it. There was a part where Lucia told Lu Shing that he wasn't brave because he wouldn't stand up to his parents and tell them he loved her and wanted to be with her. At the same time, Lu Shing was (or felt that he was) dishonoring his family by going to the States and not marrying his contract. I can understand both sides but I felt that Lucia wasn't very understanding. She was 16 at the time, just a teenager, so she probably didn't understand but I don't think that's a good excuse. She seemed so much smarter than to assume that she could go into a strong culture and break it up. I don't know if I was supposed to feel sorry for her or sypmathize with her but I felt neither. She deserved what she got: the loss of her son and daughter, Violet. What mother would trust to leave her children to strangers?

The main story was around Violet and her upbringing. It's about mothers and daughters and men and that most men only want sex and women will give it to them willingly or with money and gifts. It paints a really depressing image of women and a disgusting image of men. Women are only objects to these men...except Edward. He actually cared for Violet. I found it unbelievable that Violet only crossed one good man. Okay, two including Danner. They were both Americans. I got the feeling that the author wanted us to believe American men cared more than Chinese men.

There was so much sex in the book that it overwhelmed me. And then, the depressing things that happened to Violet, her mother, and Violets daughter was too heartbreaking. It was a very sad novel that left me gloomy.

It was a pretty well written novel but when the author wrote from Lucia's first person, I still felt like I was reading it from Violet's.

zena

« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2014, 08:59:04 PM »
Lexicon
Max Barry

Good Reads review:

I liked the idea of the story: words that can make people do things. I was intrigued and enjoyed the story. What I didn't like so much were the flat characters. I really didn't feel for them because there weren't enough substance.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 03:47:50 PM by moonangel »

zena

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2014, 04:11:51 PM »
Magic Bites (#1)
Kate Daniels

Not that great of a book.  I was annoyed by the protagonist.  I enjoyed the fight scenes but that's pretty much it.  I actually read this without reading the synopsis.  I'll never do that again.  It was about vampires and werewolves.  The other creatures I don't mind so much.  I actually wasn't bothered by the vampires and werewolves in this book though because the author didn't go into details about them so I was glad for that, although, I wish she would have given some details as to their past.

I won't be reading the series.  It was irritating reading the authors writing, especially when she's writing Kate's thoughts.  A few times, Kate said "Crap" when it wasn't necessary.  Kate's depressing personality was over done.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 03:48:30 PM by moonangel »

zena

« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2014, 01:53:53 PM »
Steamed
Katie MacAlister

I liked the idea of the airship and steampunk fashion and how Jack was zapped into the steampunk world. I didn't so much like the relationship between Jack and Octavia. The switch from first person almost every other chapter was extremely annoying and got me confused because they both seemed like the same person in first person. The romance was horrible. Jack seemed creepy always wanting to get into her pants (skirt, rather) and Octavia didn't really seem like she liked Jack all that much. I found it really weird how Jack would care to know how many men Octavia has dated and that he even got jealous. I don't even think that's a guy characteristic . They both talk waaaay too much when they should just make love. I wanted to like this book but unfortunately it didn't do it for it.

zena

« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2014, 12:27:35 PM »
Edge of Apocalypse
Tim LeHaye

It was a bit slow moving. I didn't find it very exciting.

It's about a couple of N. Korea bombs that were diverted using a technology called RTS (return-to-sender) created by a military retired man.  Ended up being about terrorists who wanted a hold of RTS.

zena

« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2014, 12:37:14 PM »
The Fault in our Stars
John Green

A serious tear jerker.  I cried so much.  Reminded me of "A Walk to Remember" by Nicholas Sparks.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 03:48:46 PM by moonangel »

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2014, 11:28:39 AM »
I think I'm going to purchased a kindle fire just to have it to read book.  I order a dell one but send it back after a couple of days because the screen navigation is bad every time I out my finger on it will zoom big or take you to another page.  Nothing beat a ipad but don't need another one. 

zena

« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2014, 10:18:22 AM »
George Orwell

It was a pretty good book considering it was first published in 1949.

Wished I had read this book sooner but it just never crossed my mind until my husband's employee recommended it.  The story left a really sad and angry feeling in me.  Very powerful stuff.  Here is a clip that really made me question power and freedom.  Power and freedom happens to be the main points in sic-fi and fantasy novels.  That's probably why I'm so drawn to these two genres. 

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 03:49:04 PM by moonangel »

zena

« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2014, 10:31:08 AM »
I think I'm going to purchased a kindle fire just to have it to read book.  I order a dell one but send it back after a couple of days because the screen navigation is bad every time I out my finger on it will zoom big or take you to another page.  Nothing beat a ipad but don't need another one. 

I meant to get back to you on this.  Have you purchased the Kindle?  I've found it to be the only practical option over reading the actual book.  I know there are other devices that might be considered better, but I'm very happy with the plain Kindle Touch.  Without it, I couldn't read as much as I have been.

Advertisements