Advertisement

Author Topic: Moonangel's Book Reviews 2014  (Read 26740 times)

zena

Re: Moonangel's Book Reviews 2014
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2014, 10:11:33 AM »
Brave New World
Aldous Huxley

Read this book in high school but re-read it and it was even better this time.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline tRouBLe

• Administrator
  • Welcome to PH! 😜
  • Respect: +1038
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2014, 02:24:02 PM »
trouble, they are equally good.  "The Rose Garden" is a historical paranormal and "The Ghost Bride" is a cultural/paranormal.

I would also recommend "The Bone Season" by Samantha Shannon, which is a sci-fi post apocalyptic paranormal.  I actually like this one better than the two above.  Although, they are all very good.

And, of course, "Oryx and Crake" by Margaret Atwood (who wrote "The Handmaid's Tale").

I think I recommended the first two because they were shorter than the others.  I tend to read very long books and don't want to overwhelm anyone with crazy long books.

I don't mind too much about the length just so long as it's one, maybe two, book(s) only.  I'm not too fond of series, I prefer stories that have some sort of ending.   ;D   I'll check out some of the ones you've recommended.  Thanks.   ;)

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~ John Wooden

zena

« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2014, 03:24:42 PM »
I don't mind too much about the length just so long as it's one, maybe two, book(s) only.  I'm not too fond of series, I prefer stories that have some sort of ending.   ;D   I'll check out some of the ones you've recommended.  Thanks.   ;)

O0

zena

« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2014, 03:34:41 PM »
Speaker for the Dead
Orson Scott Card

It was an enjoyable book. I wished the relationship between Ender and Navinha was talked about more. Author wrote that Ender loved her when he first learned of her but when they finally met, there was no strong connection/storyline to make me feel that they had anything. I also found the relationship he had with Jane a big strange and didn't make a lot of sense to me. The life of the piggies was fascinating and thoroughly thought out.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 03:50:39 PM by moonangel »

zena

« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2014, 06:51:33 PM »
The Giver
Lois Lowry

It was an enjoyable book. The ending was a little confusing because there's nothing explaining why he (Jonas) ended up where he was and the significance of it.

I also felt that I couldn't relate or fully understand the characters because there wasn't enough substance in their characters but the idea of the world they live in was frightening yet interesting.

I saw the movie and the movie made more sense than the book.  This time, I have to say, the movie out did the book.

I will be reading the quartet so that I can understand how the Giver and Jonas have the ability to do what they do.

zena

« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2014, 09:40:41 AM »
The Broken Eye
Brent Weeks

It was a good read. A few situations in the book annoyed me but overall, I liked it.

zena

« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2014, 02:20:12 PM »
I had some time to think about the book, The Broken Eye, and I'm finding that I actually really liked it...more than just 4 stars but less than 5...so about 4.5 stars.  I think I did have some expectations but I also don't think my expectations was what lead me to rate it the way I did.  After finishing the book, I reviewed right away.  Then, I took a day or two to really allow the full story to sink in.  What I confirmed was that there was a scene that was a little like the Night Angel Trilogy.  The part where Kip sort of "dies" and goes into another realm.  It was too much like the Night Angel Trilogy.  If you haven't read that trilogy then you might not have this issue I'm having but if you did read that trilogy, you'd understand the irritation.  I think that's really why I couldn't give it 5 stars.  I don't dislike that part.  It just felt like I was reading The Night Angel Trilogy and I was hoping that The Lighbringer Quartet would be far from similar to the Night Angel Trilogy.  The author is amazing though writing such a big book (over 700 pages) with so many twists and turns.  I liked the way it ended and hope (yes, expectation) that Kip remains that person he was at the end.

Speaking of Kip, I like him because he sometimes reminds me of myself.  I'm sure he reminds a lot of people of who they are.  But for me, his clumsiness and forgetfulness and goofiness is how I see myself.  I'm that girl who'll say the wrong thing or who's mind drifts in a meeting/classroom and then get picked on to answer the question and have no idea what was just asked, or who doesn't have an answer even though I know what was asked.  I'm the one who always says too much only to realize I've embarrassed myself by sharing too much. Kip sometimes comes across tough and strong and then he lets his guard down and he's nothing but scared and unsure of who he is.  Yeah, I feel like that too.  Will my kids one day learn that I'm not that strong-know-everything-mom and don't have answers to their life or mine?  Yet, when push comes to shove, I make pretty quick and firm decisions?  How does that work?  What if they already know that I don't have all the answers but know that I will have answer when it comes to push and shove?  Or, do they not care because I love them and they love me and that's all that matters? Things like that.

I'm excited for the last book though.  I think it comes out fall 2015.  Maybe if I pay closer attention I might be able to get the author's autograph this time.

zena

« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2014, 05:27:10 PM »
A Little Princess
Francis Hodgson Burnett

A really great book. I loved every bit of it.

zena

« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2014, 05:29:08 PM »
Arena One
Morgan Rice

Not bad but I just couldn't relate to the protagonist and I guess my perception of men/boys is just different. The author made them seem so clueless and stupid that it was just so unreal. The protagonist and the other characters were very one dimensional. The action parts were nice and moved the story along. The idea that two political parties causing so much separation that it leads to an apocalypse was interesting but not believable. Maybe because it wasn't thoroughly researched/thought out?

zena

« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2014, 03:50:12 PM »
I will be re-reading "The Bone Season" by Samantha Shannon very soon.  Author will be releasing the second book "The Mime Order" in a couple of weeks so I want to refresh my memory.  Can't wait.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 03:56:11 PM by moonangel »

zena

« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2014, 10:48:30 AM »
Too lazy to double post reviews on all the books I've read so far since the last book I posted a review on.  If you're interested, just follow my good reads (posted link on first page of this topic).  I need to hit 100 books this year and I've fallen behind due to having been busy in July and August now I'm just playing catch up.  I know I will not be doing 100 books next year...it's quite stressful.

Anyhow, I am currently reading a YA series called, Book of Ember.  I finished book 1, The City of Ember, last night (read 8 hours straight +/-).  It was intense.  Sometimes these simple books (only the interesting ones) do the job for me after I've finished an okay book or large adult trilogy/quartet/series/500+ pages books.  The book I read before starting the Book of Ember series was by Nicholas Sparks called, A Bend in the Road, a romance/thrillier/detective book.  Not really what I enjoy reading but Nicholas Sparks is an author I can turn to when I need something simple and mellow with a twist.  I like his fiction writing voice.  The book I read before that was Children of the Mind by Orson Scott Card.  It was the last book in the Ender's Game Quartet.  It was so good.  So well written with many thought provoking words, phrases, conversations, etc.  Before that, I finished Emma and Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin.  Both are great classics for a reason.  I'm planning on reading Sense and Sensibility but just needed a break.  I'm kind of obsessed with sci-fi and fantasy at the moment.

I'm also currently finishing up The Secret Garden by Francis Hodgson Burnett (whom also wrote A Little Princess, which reviewed above).  I'm reading this to my kids at bedtime. 

« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 11:01:04 AM by moonangel »

zena

« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2014, 11:04:54 AM »
I also finished Xenocide, the 3rd book in the Ender's Game Quartet before starting Children of the Mind.  Xenocide was okay.  Of this quartet, I'd say the first book, Ender's Game, was the awesomest and then, Children of the Mind, the last book in the quartet, was the second awesomest.  :)

zena

« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2014, 06:20:12 PM »
I finished all The Book of Embers quartet.  I believe it might be a series but so far, I finished all four available.  Really enjoyed the first book.  The other three were okay.  Read The Celestine Prophecy.  It was okay.  Saw the movie afterward and liked it much better.  Finished The Secret Garden.  It was okay.  Saw the movie first and somehow like the movie more.  Need to rent it so the kids and I can watch it.  Finished another kids book and have started on another one.

Currently, I am reading 4 books.  One is a re-read (The Bone Season).  Just learned that the official release of the second book, The Mime order will be on January 27, 2015.  Was sent a request to join The Bone Season forum to talk about the book.  So cool!

And currently, there are 7 books wait listed that I can't wait to read.  There are a couple more books I'm thinking of adding to my wait list.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2014, 09:38:08 AM »
moonangel,

A great classic that I love and perhaps your girls will enjoy is "Black Beauty". It's written from a horse's POV. The movie War Horse reminded me of it. And of course, a movie was made from the book as well.

Some other great classics for your girls:

"Heidi"
"Anne of Green Gables"
"Oliver Twist"

zena

« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2014, 02:26:50 PM »
Thanks, Believe_n_me.  I read those books in my childhood too.  My 12 year old has read Heidi and didn't seem to like it.  She likes the Poison Apple series and anything post-apocolyptic (ie, The Giver, Divergent, Hunger Games).  My 7 year old prefers things like My Little Pony with magic and stuff.  When I read A Little Princess (a classic) to her, she couldn't sit/lay still.  It was too much for her to handle (the sadness, mean-ness, hatefulness, etc, was too much for her to handle).  Same with The Secret Garden, although, I think she found it a bit boring because it went in circles.  She liked the parts about food though...haha. ..it made her hungry and told me to stop reading otherwise she'd have to get some food.

Advertisements