Advertisement

Author Topic: Nutrition matters: Dieting doesn't mean starving yourself  (Read 34728 times)

minorcharacter

Nutrition matters: Dieting doesn't mean starving yourself
« on: January 07, 2014, 02:12:28 PM »
Not sure if this should belong in the Food forum, but we should totally sticky this thread as a way of helping each other attain their physical goals.

Please share some recipes, food hints, for weight loss, muscle gain, etc.

ABC pudding, or avocado-banana-chocolate pudding.  Avocados and bananas are known as superfoods for weightloss.  Chocolate is there as a great stress reducer, help lower blood pressure, fight diseases, and something to add flavor.  I blend about half an avocado to two or three bananas with a teaspoon of dark chocolate (at least 60 cacao, don't use white or milk chocolate).

One of my favorite dishes to eat is cottage cheese mixed with slices of avocados, raspberries, and blueberries.  Antioxidants plus two superfoods for weight loss.

Also, about one hour prior to going to bed I mix a glass of water with half a scoop of whey protein.  This activates your metabolism or keeps it running (helps you burn fat) while sleeping. 

Edit: picture of my ABC pudding with mint and blackberries.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 11:32:39 AM by minorcharacter »

Like this post: +2

Adverstisement

Finest

Re: Nutrition matters: Dieting doesn't mean starving yourself
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 05:30:32 PM »
Interesting recipe on that ABC pudding.  I'll give it a shot later.   O0

Like this post: 0

Finest

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 05:31:21 PM »
Thread stickied for other recipes and dieting tips.   8)

Like this post: +1

minorcharacter

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 11:05:34 AM »
Interesting recipe on that ABC pudding.  I'll give it a shot later.   O0

Yeah, tell me what you think and if you tried adding anything else to it.  I'm always trying to find a better balance between avocados to bananas, and a way to make it more wholesome without ruining the delicious taste and smooth texture.

zena

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 11:14:41 AM »
That's an interesting combination of food, minor.  I'm glad it works for you.   O0

...and do share more.

I personally cannot eat certain foods together.  I like banana's but by itself without anything.  If it gets mixed into anything, I gag.  I like avacadoes too, by itself, in salads, and sauce, but not with chocolate.  I normally don't like chocolate but there are times when I crave it and that's the only time I can eat it.

I like salads too but only sometimes.  Last year, I ate salads all the time for like a month or two as a single meal with meat (chicken, turkey, etc.) or on the side with a main meal,  but suddenly, I just can't stand them anymore.  I know I will want them again...so I just have to wait it out until I'm ready for it. 

I guess for me I need variety and one thing never sticks forever...whic h I find, makes it hard to keep consistent with weight.  Overall, I think just limiting the amount of food intake is what works and not really the type of food one eats as long as it's not fried or processed foods.

minorcharacter

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 11:20:20 AM »
If any of you guys are like me, you hate eating vegetables and rely on drinking Bolthouse's Green Goodness to get your daily intake of veggies.  With these recipes I actually enjoy eating my greens.

Kale Chips - Some of you guys may have heard of this new Kale hype.  Well, I personally think it tastes disgusting, but with this recipe I can eat a lot of Kale in one day.  Clean some kale and cut them up into chip sized, if not bigger, portions.  Put them in a bowl and rub a little olive oil over them.  Then lay them flat on a flat rack baking thingy (sorry I'm not good with my cooking terminology).  Sprinkle a little sea salt and crushed red pepper over them.  Bake on 400 degrees for 5-8 minutes or until crisp.

Eggs and Broccoli Omelette - I absolutely hate the taste of broccoli, however as a superfood it is so healthy for your diet.  I've found other healthy choices to add to it to make it more tolerable.  What I do is I fry about three eggs and chop up some broccoli to throw there and make an omelette out of it.  Add bacon, ALWAYS.  Substitute for turkey bacon if necessary.  When you're done, drip a little olive oil over it and throw some feta cheese crumbles on top.  You can definitely add more, however I don't particularly enjoy the taste of broccoli with anything else other than these ingredients.

Like this post: +1

minorcharacter

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 10:07:59 AM »

This is my usual breakfast.

It's toasted whole wheat bread spread with organic honey and true cinnamon.  True cinnamon or ceylon cinnamon differs from cassia cinnamon and usually can't be bought at your usual supermarket.  I buy mine at an Indian store and ground it up.  Cassia is a flavoring agent and doesn't really provide you health benefits.  It is also possibly bad for you if taken in large amounts over time.  Ceylon cinnamon on the other hand actually provides you with health benefits.

I have a protein shake made with milk, banana, 1 scoop of whey protein and cinnamon (true).  I also eat two vitamin gummy bears for my vitamins =D

Oh yeah I ate the paper clip as well.  How else am I going to get my iron?

minorcharacter

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 10:10:12 AM »
ceylon cinnamon (true) vs cassia cinnamon

pinkiepie

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 10:11:51 AM »

Kale Chips - Some of you guys may have heard of this new Kale hype.  Well, I personally think it tastes disgusting, but with this recipe I can eat a lot of Kale in one day.  Clean some kale and cut them up into chip sized, if not bigger, portions.  Put them in a bowl and rub a little olive oil over them.  Then lay them flat on a flat rack baking thingy (sorry I'm not good with my cooking terminology).  Sprinkle a little sea salt and crushed red pepper over them.  Bake on 400 degrees for 5-8 minutes or until crisp.

What's your secret on making kale chips?

I've made it a few times and they never turn out right.

I love kale (maybe a little too much).

LION HEART

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 10:13:44 AM »
It still pains me to hear that when someone is "going on a diet," they think they are supposed to starve themselves. 

minorcharacter

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 03:42:22 PM »
I love salmon; maybe a little too much.  I like to season with sea salt and black pepper before searing the fukc out of it.  The salad here I had with eggs, walnuts, whole wheat breaded jumbo shrimp, and a light dressing I made with olive oil, light mayo, teriyaki sauce, and honey.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 08:22:17 AM by minorcharacter »

minorcharacter

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 03:43:23 PM »
What's your secret on making kale chips?

I've made it a few times and they never turn out right.

I love kale (maybe a little too much).
I'm not sure if there's any secret really.  What's wrong with yours? 

I like to pat mine dry otherwise they get soggy instead of crunchy.   I have a nuwave oven I use as well, cooks even better in one of those.

minorcharacter

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 03:49:13 PM »
Pizza can be actually really healthy for you.  I substitute pepperonis for turkey pepperonis (less fat and sodium).  Use LF moz cheese when making mine.

minorcharacter

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 03:50:41 PM »
I make turkey patties and bake my own whole wheat buns for a healthier alternative.

pinkiepie

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 09:09:32 AM »
I'm not sure if there's any secret really.  What's wrong with yours? 

I like to pat mine dry otherwise they get soggy instead of crunchy.   I have a nuwave oven I use as well, cooks even better in one of those.

Mine are probably not dry enough when I put them in the oven because they always come out a little soggy. I don't get the crunch factor. I guess I'll have to let them dry fully. I'm gonna make some tonight.

Advertisements